Australian secret services to get licence to hack

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Silber, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Silber

Silber Member

Is this already posted and discussed somewhere? There have been some discussions about the 2 year data retention that was planned a while ago, but I did not find anything about this here:

Source: http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...-services-to-get-licence-to-hack-1784139.html

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I assumed they were doing it anyway to stop terrorists or paedophiles or Muslims or whoever the latest bogeymen are, ends justifying the means etc.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There was a short discussion of this on the "What if we couldn't write to you" thread. Possibly no harm in having a separate thread.

From memory, they were seeking the power to access, download, upload and alter files which is just nuts in scope (if my memory's correct).

4. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

They were seeking to use the power of innocent peoples' computers to hack into those of bad guys. They couldn't alter files on the computers of people who are not the targets.

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Somebody claimed to me some time ago that there is a 'back door' built in to Windows that allows 'the government' to simply walk in to ALL computers using it.

Just key in a set of numbers or somesuch, and in they go.

Would not surprise me one bit.

OC

6. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Tin foil hat wearing BS.

There are holes in everything if you look hard enough and know what you are doing. Anything 'the government' has access to, everyone else has access to.

7. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's actually a lot of them, only they weren't built in by design. They're the reason Microsoft keeps releasing patches.

The closest thing I've ever seen is this, which is not a 'back door' but a set of tools that enable police to extract information quickly.

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

" non involved non targeted parties"???? Who determines this status and how? :-0

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"Tin foil hat wearing BS."

"There's actually a lot of them, only they weren't built in by design. They're the reason Microsoft keeps releasing patches. The closest thing I've ever seen is this, which is not a 'back door' but a set of tools that enable police to extract information quickly."

I will leave 'r0dman' and 'willrocks' to fight that one out. All well above my head.

OC

10. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Nothing to fight out. I agree completely with willrocks - there are holes. You spend the time/money, you will find them. If you want to do this regularly, you will spend the time/money to create a system that can repeat the same thing over and over and over.

And of course if you have something to protect, you spend the time/money to plug those holes.