Australian Organic Farmer GM contamination court case 10th Feburary

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by dagsgarrett, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

True. Probably for the same reason they label tinned fish as being "Dolphin safe" and "Free range eggs" as eggs from chooks that have had 1 square metre of area in which to live. It is a marketing gimmick.

It's because a small proportion of consumers are stupid and believe whatever the fcuk they want to believe and think they are being wholesome and in the process influence the mainstream. Take PETA as an extreme example. Most of those dickheads live in cities and breathe air full of emissions anyway and vote The Greens. Goes a long way to explaining their purchasing habits. :lol: RSPCA and Greenpeace are wonderful examples of corporate influence in the marketplace. Actually, I was being sarcastic, they're not wonderful. :(

It's probably the same people who buy from "Farmer's Markets" and think they are actually buying from the farmer (there are genuine farmers though, you just have to shop around). I was at the Sunshine Coast at the beginning of last year at a "Farmer's Market", there were a couple of local farmers selling their own produce, but there was also a Stanthorpe farm selling "fresh farmer's produce". Huge range of fruit and veg. Now why on earth would a Stanthorpe farmer travel about 5 hours from Stanthorpe to Kawana to sell his produce at a local market on the Sunshine Coast, bypassing more "fruitful" markets closer to home??? Answer: (my opinion) because the farmer didn't actual travel to the market. He probably sold his produce under license to a market stall holder who has the rights to use the name of the farm and their banner to sell farm produce. Or it was just bought at the Brisbane Market by some random bloke who has a "Farmer's Market" stall on the weekend. :rolleyes:

Caveat emptor.

2. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And that's the truth!

The reason they have no food is because they have no money or value, GM food won't change that. Monsanto are not going to grow a kind heat and start giving out seeds for free.

Shit they will rather throw food in the bin then give it to starving people for free.

3. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

The common market place term is 'Genetically Modified' or 'Genetically Modified Organism' sounds more palatable than 'Genetically Engineered'.

The GM marketing term works as per this quote from this thread: A fact to consider, organic food is already "genetically modified", by a process of mankind selectively planting the best seeds based on seeking incremental improvements for over 10 thousand years.

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

AFAIK, genetically modified foods ARE being grown and consumed by human beings all over the world. Probably since 1973 or a bit later.

Have the worlds hospital systems declared a noticeable spike in confirmed GM related illnesses or defects? I do not think I have read of it.

From what I read, GM is a way of reducing waste due to infestation etc, together with increasing size/yield, and growing patterns and so on. If there is a verified problem with GM then FIX IT!

JMO

OC

5. leo25

Cancer rates are rapidly increasing... So something is either causing our cells to become dysfunctional faster or causing our immune system to be not as responsive.

So to answer your question yes

I guess our body can't adapt to us rapidly stuffing around with genetics :/ Normally we would have 100s if not 1000s of years to adapt to plants changing, now we have a few years.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can you provide peer reviewed studies showing that GM Roundup Ready seeds are safe for human consumption?

7. Old Codger

Leo,

"Cancer rates are rapidly increasing..."

Is this data attributable ONLY to people who have consumed GM foods? Has a confirmed link been established? Are non GM eaters unaffected?

OC

8. leo25

The problem with the world is a confirmed link never seems to get established even if it has been established, well not until very late in the game. To much money to be made.

Does Asbestos or smoking ring a bell....

But ill try to dig up some papers when i get more time.

9. mmm....shiney!

We have been down this road a thousand times. :|

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So no articles?

11. mmm....shiney!

This is how the argument goes:

Anti-GM sophists: Make a claim that GM foods are dangerous.
    Me: Ask for link
    Anti-GM sophists: Where's your link saying they are not dangerous.
    Me: Ummm? But you made your claim first.

You effectively avoid backing up your claims.

I have provided links previously in other threads (do a search for GM and Monsanto on this forum), but you don't believe them so what's the point in me posting them. The anti-GM sophists have not provided any source to scientific experiments, only journal articles stating opinions. And yes, I know, I'll be labelled a Monsanto lover - it's all been said before. :/ :cool:

12. Old Codger

AFAIK, a person making a claim or charge is responsible for backing that up with EVIDENCE!

NOT "peer reviewed", means nothing!

OC

13. leo25

Shiney; you can't provide a proper research paper stating there is no long term side effects and i guess we can't provide a research paper stating that there are side effects, even if research as proven this. Since the official journal articles would have been weeded out.

So since everyone wants 100% proof then we all come to a stand still.

So like everything else in this world we just have to let time run it's course and then we can see for sure once the damage is done.

I'm sure a super bug will pop up in the next 50 years anyway and wipe out 80% off the population.

14. Old Codger

"I'm sure a super bug will pop up in the next 50 years anyway and wipe out 80% off the population."

So am I!

OC

15. Load of Bullion

Welcome to the experiment everyone.

Meanwhile, a farmer has a contaminated crop that is affecting his lively hood (not mine and not yours).
    I don't envy anybody, having to deal with the stress of courts and everything that goes with it.

16. mmm....shiney!

That's a funny way of putting it, I can't provide a "proper" research paper and you can't provide one even though they exist. Sounds like you don't need any research - you've already made your mind up. :/

17. mmm....shiney!

That's not scientific evidence, that's her opinion.

18. mmm....shiney!

On the other hand he's trying to dictate what other farmers should grow:

http://www.pgaofwa.org.au/press_rel...N’S+CLAIMS+ON+GM+CANOLA+BUFFER+FALSE+SAYS+PGA

19. Load of Bullion

Forget GM crops. This scenario could have been any number of insults to his livelihood. It does not just apply to farming. Steve Marsh could have been in another industry.
    Steve Marsh is the farmer has suffered a financial loss through no fault of his own. He worked to gain compliance as an certified organic grower and that has taken from him.
    He has decided to seek compensation. I am thankful that I'm not in his situation.
    I also pity his next door neighbour whom also has to go through the stress of this case. They would surely not have wanted to affect their neighbours livelihood like this.

GMO seeds are surely going to dominate the worlds crops. I think of this as a largely irreversible 'viral' type of experiment. Any meaningful Organic Certification will become near impossible as the bar is raised to irrelevant heights.
    It may be for the better of humanity and nature, only time will tell.

20. mmm....shiney!

^ a rational post on the whole (with exception to the "viral" bit), thanks.

This is exactly what this court case is about, it's not GM v organic, although it has been turned into that by organisations with a vested interest in bank rolling his legal costs. It is a debate about liberty and protecting your livelihood, Marsh has a case if it can be proven, Baxter also has a case though.