Australia has the largest share of the world's economic silver dirt

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dynoman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

You cannot rely on government to drive this ideology.

Government are next to useless in promoting innovation for profit, in fact, they're more likely to destroy it through looting and established market protection.

2. downer

downer New Member

haha. I am very much against the liberals, and downer was a prancy boy tool. But I am against labor as well. And the greens give me the shits as well. Screw them all :)

The problem is, in my experience, they are not so bright. I know, i know. generalisation. But I have worked in Australian R&D in universities and have worked with R&D in China. I think the problem stems from coming from a communist society, they have real trouble thinking for themselves. Why do you think they basically just steal everyones else's ideas. With time they will improve. Korea was the same, they stole everyones ideas and IP (government sponsored) and look at where they are now.

Also, from a manufacturing view point, I have been to factories and I have seen with my own eyes people just hanging around doing nothing. I swear the government must dictate to their state enterprises that they have to employ X number of people. If it was a western company you would fire half the work force straight up.

True. But the original post was about turning dust into ingots. That is not high tech. I say let those jobs go offshore.

We do have some high tech manufacturers in Australia, companies like silverbrook, cochlear and resmed come to mind.

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And yet the current government has just come out with a policy that forces innovation in energy production and consumption, creates demand for new technology and shits on the established big polluters.

And they're copping flak for that policy.

W...T...

Big A.D.'s brain explodes.

4. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Agreed, the government will prostitute this country to the max..ten inches in one hole, balls in the other. Nothing wrong with having some international companies, but should be a limit. Also restrictions should apply to what they can own... such as large agricultural land. I wouldnt be surprised if the water from our taps in the future is owned by company/government overseas. Foreign INVESTMENT is fine.. foreign OWNERSHIP no thanks

5. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The second part ;)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you HONESTLY believe this tax grab is about promoting innovation? Really?

You think using a stick to provide 'incentive' is going to be the cost effective way to manage this process?

Big AD, I commend your ideology but the fact remains the government is next to fucking useless in 'fixing' outstanding issues concerning free trade, open competition and removing barriers.

Can you name me the markets the government has dabbled in over the last 50 years that have been more profitable and prosperous to the population due to government involvement, especially with an 'incentive' taxation method employed?

I assure you, the list will be very short.

7. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think innovation is one of the positive aspects that will naturally occur as markets start to take responsibility for the full cost of their emissions. And yes, the stick will work because the carrot by itself hasn't achieved anything meaningful to date. I actually agree with you that, where possible, we should be looking to buy quality local products that will last a long time but if you look at the following scenario, the market just isn't delivering what we need:

Product A has a usable life-span of 30 years. It's manufacture produces 2kg of greenhouse gases and it costs $500 at retail.
    Product B has a usable life-span of 2 years. Its manufacture produces 200g of greenhouse gasses and it costs $49.99 at retail.

Product B is 10% of the cost of Product A, produces 10% the greenhouse emissions, but it only lasts 6.6% as long, meaning that all up its only about 2/3 as efficient as product A if you just keep buying new ones for thirty years when it breaks.

Given the choice, most people will buy product B because most people are stupid and think paying $49.99 is a much better deal than paying $500, regardless of how long the thing lasts or how much crap has to be put into the air to make it.

1. Floating the dollar
    2. Establishing the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
    3. Ratifying the Montreal protocol
    4. Continued funding of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
    5. Establishing the Higher Education Contribution Scheme
    etc.

8. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

This is a sensitive topic . Never ever forget good ppl that the libs got tossed because of work choices ( defanged the unions n took away our rights ) and labour came in under the pretence that they would unhobble us and what did they do ?. I will tell you; they sold us out ! kept the gags on ! .So who do you trust more a party that openly and honestly says it wants to screw Australian families or a party that says if elected it is gonna fix this slavery but in effect does jack shit ?. You choose . But what really really pisses me off to the max is that after labour confirned that it was going to take away our democratic rights as workers to agree and unite on matters to improve our lives our kids education the clothes on their backs shelter food you name it they decided that they would try and hit the multinationals with a mining tax . Nothing worse than a two face hypocrite !. Lolz ive still got that free anal packet that labour send me for bowel cancer ( over 50s ) . Im stil not sure if I should let them sodomise me twice . Goodbye labour . I know what dirt id like to export