Auspost missing item plastic bag?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by phrenzy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Has anyone ever had auspost send them an empty envelope or satchel inside a plastic bag saying that they think something came out of the envelope / satchel, possibly in sorting machinery?

It's something I've never seen (until now). Being out of both sizes of satchels and Sod stickers my normally very helpful post office said that my small (1oz) item wrapped in a bag could go in a c5 envelope and insisted it wouldn't be a problem. I intend to enlist them to help given that there might be some culpability here (I did ask more than once including asking about passing it through the thickness checker and being rebuffed, though in fairness this doesn't seem to have been the issue).

Flash forward to today and the inner packaging and 1oz are missing with a small tare in the envelope that was delivered in a plastic bag saying that some of the contents seem to have been seperated from the envelope. My only hope being twofold, one, if it was a theft they would not likely have put their hand up to put it in a bag admitting lost contents and secondly that the ounce is I assume still with its distinctive and tough inner packaging that weren't in the envelope received by the buyer. It should be easy to describe and identify and wouldn't be thrown out if seen by an AP employee in the floor it would look like it was holding something and certainly feel that way.

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with this and with items lost out of auspost stuff en route. I have to think they have an idea where it happened if they noticed to put it in a special bag and if it's still in it's distinctive inner packaging it should be able to be found without that much trouble unless it was a deliberate theft.

You ever get your stuff back? Any tips in getting straight to the most important auspost people?

For what it's worth I intend to put all the effort it takes into getting the item back for the buyer and will do what I can to recompense if we don't get satisfaction, but I'd love any tips or at least happy ending stories to keep me from thinking I'm out a months pay to make things right with the buyer...

2. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Probably got stuck in the mail sorting machinery during processing. It will be up to the honesty of the staff. They might know your item was valuable and pocket it. Otherwise it should be sitting in the mail centre awaiting claim by rightful owner. Long shot but you never know. All you can do is call 131318 explain situation and hope for the best.

3. phrenzy

That's what I'd have figured except I can't imagine the inner packaging initially stuffed bottom left could come out the small hole/tare in the opposite upper corner just fitting wise, very odd. Anyway it will be well known where it went and where they noticed something was missing, they'll have to know where they put the pladtic bag over it (makes me wonder how they knew that anything was missing) and hopefully what "fell out" is together still and being distinctive it will just be waiting to be described and claimed....

4. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Insufficient Packaging.
    If you packed it well, don't think it will comes out.
    Ok, back to the Training Class ;)

5. phrenzy

The 1oz is likely with my packaging it's the auspost envelope that broke (maybe).

6. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have recieved one envelope like this, it wasn't worth much though and I claimed it back due to poor packaging.

7. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

If it paper envelope, you will need to tape all four sides.
    No matter what envelope it is, even if they are from the Queen Palace.

Stick the coin on a piece of cardboard before hand put in a plastic bag or something.
    Never stick directly on the coin.

Any loose object will definitely find its way out.

8. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

What Chip said, every time I've ordered stuff off dealers they've always packed out the bag with cardboard and paper. Sometimes even double bagged. Never just the PMs. I guess this is why. It always seems to be the smaller bags they have trouble with.

9. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had an experience on here a couple of years ago on here where I had purchased about 40 florins of a well known guy on the forum.

When the postie turned up with said plastic bag in hand:
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/10058_picture_182.jpg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/10058_picture_184.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

He handed me what was left of my envelope inside to above plastic bag, when I asked..."WTF is that?" to which he replied they had been bouncing all over the sorting room floor & he hopes that they are all there.
    They were all there fortunately, and had been painstakingly wiggled back through the tear and into the envelope & repaired by an obviously honest staff. They had only been put into a really cheap wornout zip bag, which they busted through, so they were flying loose inside the envelope. Through the tear in the envelope and all over the fkn floor.

I guess I was lucky........this time!

I won't mention names, but it was bought off quite a well known guy on the forum and at the time a site sponsor. There has been threads over time about the culprit, but bottom line I would never buy of him again, simple. I found out later of more examples of his bad packaging came to light where his sh!thouse packaging had actually lost peoples stuff. When confronted in threads of people complaining about his bad packaging, in one case he simply replied that the person had asked for the cheapest postal option. To him that was just a plain envelope (that might jog peoples memory lol)

However, in my case, I had paid for registered post and expect at least a padded bag and the coins wrapped and concealed inside.anyone that has dealt with me knows. When I'm selling, it usually takes quite a while to get into my parcels lol

I detest shoddy packaging. :|

Hope it all works out for ya, and you get it sorted - good luck.

10. phrenzy

In my case it's a little confusing it was in a very heavy paper bag rolled into almost an inch thick of padding /packing plus in a small zip lock inside that and inside a pamphlet to prevent breakage through the front I just can't imagine how that goes in over large piece through the upper right corner of an envelope...anyway I'll just have to hope australia post comes through. Imagine how high my hopes are haha

Honestly if something was posted to me they way and it arrived I wouldn't think much of it. I'm going to wear at least some if not all the cost but I'm not very impressed that my phone number was on the return address and auspost wherever they noticed and bagged it couldn't give me a call to talk about the contents. It might have been able to be sorted quickly. They obviously knew something came out, could have been anything.

Hopefully they're helpful tomorrow and I get somewhere. Hopefully the local post office will help a little since I actually asked for 500g satchel with SOD and was told it would be fine since thru weren't in stock. So I'll try from the inside there and the standard number. I'm hoping hoping hoping it's just in a bin of "stuff that fell out of the mail" in a sorting center.

Anyway I'm done thinking about this tonight. I'm determined to make amends to the buyer but I'm very unhappy that AP couldn't call when they noticed a problem and still can't imagine how the packed up thing escaped except perhaps mechanical handling so I'm hopeful someone found it bouncing around a sorting machine. ...gah who knows might be doddle (a man can dream).

It's just so hard to believe they're handled that roughly and if so that I've never had a problem before...

Certainly if in the same situation again I think the packaging takeaway is taping whatever we're sending against or into the satchel or envelope. Preferably on the side with the address on I'm case your parcel is torn open or in half. For all the complaining express anything usually does just fine.

I feel ill thinking about it. I'm done beating myself up for the night I think. Unless it's A case of theft (in which case we'll see where the couple places it was sorted through and apprise local dealers to look for this unusual item coming in with someone who obviously doesn't handle the stuff often) I'm somewhat hopeful that in its inner packaging (was more than once wrapped and multiple times rolled for padding) it'll show up. Big enough and fancy enough that it wouldn't be thrown away, it looks like the lost contents of something.

I just feel horrible for the buyer too, we say post at cost risk and auspost have clearly screwed up but I can't help feel responsible and want to do the right thing, whatever that is assuming auspost comes up blank. I had a large silver order disappear in the post when I first started stacking and was curtly referred to the cost/risk thing but that doesn't seem right and I want to do better.

I hate being put in this position, can't really afford it anyway (I'll make it work) and feel like a shoddy dealer. I really hope AP can sort this. I really thought I packed it ok and had 2 postal workers agree but I can't leave the buyer completely holding the bag, that's not what a god stacker does. I'm sure there's as many opinions on what's fair compensation as users here...I just want to do the right thing.

DON'T DO WHAT DONNY DON'T DOES learn from my mistake, take another 5 minutes so there's no physical way your items can go wrong en route. I'm still fairly happy with how mine was packaged and wouldn't think twice if it arrived properly packaged that way but onviously tape is your friend.

Again actually going to leave it for tonight and stress more when AP tell me to stop calling they've given up looking. Just tough cause I like to have things end up fair and happy. This is just crummy all round.