Aus Unemployment really at 10.3%?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Nukz, May 25, 2012.

1. Nukz

Nukz New Member

2. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Work one hour per week = employed
    Enrolled in study and don't attend course = employed

3. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

what's the old saying, "lies, damned lies and statistics"?

4. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In the news today

THE TIMES

RPI change could save treasury 3bn
    Changes to inflation calculations that could save the chancellor billions of pounds a year while hurting gilts investors are being considered. A committee that advises the UK Statistics Authority may recommend an overhaul that could permanently pare back gains in the retail prices index. If the changes are adopted, they could lead to a reduction in interest payments on government bonds that are linked to the retail price index. This would save as much as 3bn a year in interest paid on index-linked gilts.

UK PRESS: A committee that advises the UK Statistics Authority may ...
    25. May 2012 14:23:16

UK PRESS: A committee that advises the UK Statistics Authority may
    recommend an overhaul that could permanently pare back gains in the
    retail prices index, the Times reports. If the changes are adopted, they
    could lead to a reduction in interest payments on government bonds that
    are linked to the RPI, the paper says. This would help the Treasury to
    save as much as stg3 billion a year in interest paid on index-linked
    gilts, according to calculations from Alan Clarke, an economist at
    Scotia Capital, the paper says.

5. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I believe the figures are all BS..

How many people go to centrelink and are then shunted onto training and support schemes that don't count as unemployment.

People over 60 years of age are moved onto disability support or the mature age allowance. OR why don't you do a UNI course..That will get you off our books for at least 5 years..TAFE courses are also a popular alternative.

How many Australian Workers who want a full time job are working part time?

How many Australian Retail Workers are having their wages paid as a subsidy by the Government? A lot of young workers are trained this way at the expense of the taxpayers.

All government BS their way through their term of government by providing figures that make them look good. Swan and Costello both claim to be great treasurers but use the same ABS to state that unemployment and inflation are both low.

While we continue to eat their BS, we as a nation, cannot address the problems that face us.

The issues that we should be talking and debating every day are shoved aside while we all argue about Refugees, wars and the character of local politicians . Well, I suppose the Sheeple must have their sheep sh.t.. to keep the system up and running.

Whether you be left or right or a political atheist like me, then you must have the correct figures for any of us to argue about anything for it is all in vain if you can't have the facts right to start with.

We should be talking of what we are going to do if the mining industry slows, the high Australian dollar and how it impacts on our tourist and retail and Manufacturing sections. What can we do to lessen the impact on them should be the issues of the day in Federal Parliament.

End of Rant

Regards Errol 43

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can you elaborate on this? The government pays retail staff's wages?

7. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain this to me?

So we are up 383,000 people IN the workforce since January 2011. We lost 53,000 part time jobs but gained 106,000 full time jobs for a net gain (in my simple brain) of 53,000 jobs. If that is the case how many people is it 383,000 or 53,000 up?

Also puzzling is no matter how many people are now employed extra than Jan 2011. Let's assume the greater figure of 383,000.....so not only have we got 383,000 more people working but we have another 330,000 more people looking for work.

Has the population grown by 713,000 people since Jan 11? Have a glut of uni students just finished degrees or high school? I don't Remember a baby boom 18-24 years ago do you? Am I going Senile? I thought the baby boom was 18-24 months ago not years ago? If not, that is a shit load of boat people and immigrants in the last 12 months.

To add 383,000 jobs in an economy and still have 330,000 more added to the waiting list seems a bit strange to me.

8. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

This is exactly why I don't trust the CPI - for now, and especially for the future.

Both unemployment stats and the CPI benefit the Govt by being manipulated to lower figures. The ABS is part of the Govt, so isn't that just a grand conflict of interest?

Particularly given that the RBA supposedly bases interest rate decisions on the inflation figures, which - though not directly based on the CPI - follow roughly the same formula as far as I can gather.

All it leads to is:
    - misleading people into investing into an economy that is behaving differently to what they're told
    - misleading employers to consider taking staff on
    - misleading people who have their salary/pensions/benefits indexed to the CPI into think they'll be okay through periods of inflation
    - misleading people into thinking the economy is okay and into reckless consumption

Can anyone tell me how the politicians have their salaries/benefits/pensions indexed? Is it the CPI? If it is not the CPI, but another index altogether, doesn't that say something about the system?

9. errol43

I'm only referring to new workers.. It does not apply to all retail workers.

It works like this. Each new worker that you employ you get a subsidy for 17 weeks and then you get a reduced rate for the next 17 weeks. Centrelink give the unemployed a business card to show how much the employer will get if he employs you.

Regards Errol 43

10. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

What's it called when the Govt pays everyone's wages? ;)

I know we seem to be headed that direction, but surely we'll change course at some point, right?

11. Byron

Byron Guest

I agree that this "official" 5% figure is a crock of shit.

There are millions of underemployed casual staff that may only work 1-2 days a week (even though they want more days the work isn't there) or on short term contracts of less than 6 months. This is not meaningful employment that's meant to provide financial security for workers and their families.

The govt should be looking at this incredibly huge figure (which is growing) and trying to do something about converting casual into permanent jobs, instead of hiding this financial insecurity affecting millions of people by counting them as "employed".

Anecdotally i know plenty of people in the above situation.

12. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Holden sales staff?

13. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

employers get more kick backs by hiring many men to screw in a light bulb... government gives cuts behind the guise of job networks (or whatever they are now)
    follow the paper trail

in this case, it is NOT the saying - many hands make light work

the new bosses are now RECEPTIONISTS with their stinkin attitude

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are. Gillard has publicly stated that she wants to abolish casual labour because everyone has the "right" to a fill time secure job. She is an idiot. No-one has the right to a full time job because such a right implies that someone else has an obligation to provide it. We see in the newspapers every day stories about moronic young men and women who act stupidly and destructively in their lives by drinking and fighting, stealing, driving like lunatics and so on. No employer deserves someone like this in their employ. It can destroy a small business along with the job security and enjoyment of their workmates having an idiot working on the job that who cannot be dismissed because under the Fair Work act once you have employed someone for a year you are legally married to them. FWA will always rule in favour in any dispute in the following order: Union member, non-union employee, employer.

I know of two businesses that were brought down by idiot employees who wilfully disobeyed instructions, acted like fools and hurt themselves. Workcover fined both businesses out of existence despite the fact that in each case the employee acted outrageously and with complete stupidity.

If people are underemployed then rather than whining and demanding that the "government do something" to force other Australians to become their employer, perhaps they could open their own small business and learn what it's like to work 60-70 hours a week with no paid benefits.

15. Byron

Byron Guest

I understand the point you are making and have no issue with it.

I am not referring to people seeking employment in small business or retail. I'm also for getting rid of negligent or incompetent employees, but there have to be safeguards to ensure personal grudges, conflicts and nepotism are not the motivation behind firing someone.

However there is still a massive problem with casualisation and underemployment in areas such as education (primary, secondary and tertiary) and IT services.

Boomers are allowed to retire, collect their old scheme super and then go back and work in schools in a full time, permanent capacity because they are chummy with the principal. This is clogging up the system and newer graduates often have to wait 7-10 years to get a permanent appointment - in the meantime there is uncertainty of work and it ranges from being employed one day and unemployed the next.

Tenure in tertiary education is also extremely hard to get, most tertiary staff are on short term contracts. Everyone is stressed because there is no job security or financial stability. Unless you are over 50 and gained employment there under very different circumstances.

Different areas, different problems. Unless you are a small business owner looking to have God like powers over your employees and the right to treat them like crap or bully them without fear of repurcussions - casualisation is a huge problem for a lot of people in this country.

16. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

"The govt should ..."

I would like an ounce of silver for every time someone utters that phrase. No disrespect intended to you Byron, but whenever I hear that I just think of the added costs and/or legislation that will be imposed on the citizens. The less government does the better, IMO.

As to a "right" to employment imposed by a government, that is the sort of talk that leads directly into a gulag state.

On the statistics, consider all the kids not reported because they are kept in the education system these days and also consider that those numbers include government employees as a direct expense to those in private employment, the only productive, wealth creating part of "the economy".

At least half those kids in senior school shouldn't be there and wouldn't be there 15 years ago. I recall many of me friends leaving school at 15 to begin apprenticeships. Not these days. As an interesting aside, I was driving through the city this morning and a 3 men were working to repair something under the road curb. They were excavating and using concrete saws to cut their way through to whatever it was. Heavy, hard work. For anyone who hasn't used a concrete saw, those things are heavy and as dangerous as hell. Anyway, what was so interesting about this was the men themselves. They were all older than me, and by the drawn lines on their faces and the serious, no nonsense expressions they would have to have been in their 50's. No kids or young adults "educated" in the modern school system on a menu of button pushing and glee club performing.

Speaking of useless education systems, did you see that Gina Reinhart wants to import 1600 foreign workers for a new iron ore mine in the Pilbara?

17. errol43

I agree with Gino..Just because you go to senior high school and leave when you're 17 years old doesn't make you make a better tradesman such as a painter, carpenter or fitter & turner than a young lad 30 years ago who started his apprenticeship when he was 14/15 years of age and only went to primary school..

As for the shortage of skilled workers in the mining industry, I think that our current system of producing such workers could be improved a lot by the following.

1. Have Industrial classes at high school from year 1

2. Make the courses like uni.. 24 units and you take 4 units every 6 months. If you don't pass a subject you must repeat.

3. Still have English and Maths as core subjects.

4. Have qualified tradesmen as teachers alongside regular teachers.

5. When you have passed all subjects, you are free to get a job with an employer for 1 final year. After that final year training. you become a fully qualified tradesman/woman.

Measures such as these would reduce the number of uninterested students at high schools. Provide Employers with a ready to work pool of trained youth workers who in a short period of time will be a valuable asset to their business.

Ideal teachers for this scheme could come from older tradesman who after working for many years in manual work find that type of work start to take its toll on their health. Bunnings is an example of tradesmen finding an easier job physically in their latter years . They would make ideal teachers of their trade.

This scheme could be funded by the Federal and State Governments, the Mining Industry and the Manufacturing Industry.

Another scheme could also be introduced for the retail, office and tourist sector of the economy..

Those students who want to go to University to pursue academic pursuits would continue to do normal high school courses.

What do you think fellow stackers???

Regards Errol 43

18. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Of course she wants to. I'd want to too.

Question is why a govt who, under their watch, this week destroyed 500 jobs in the aviation and aluminium industries, approved it?

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What happened to the 'Tech schools'?

20. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Julia built the education revolution. Gave away computers and such, while institutionalising our youth. Now ...

But she's in control of national labour requirements.