August ASE sales - 3,679,500.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverthorn, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

2. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

it'll eclipse last year, in 2mo.

epic

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Given these things have the same collector value as a generic round, the sales continue to amaze me. Why you wouldnt buy bars instead to get more bang for your buck (as there is hardly a numismatic value for the ASE's) I dont know.

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Chuckles... and i get guys that respond to my posts saying uMmmm i dont get it!

I must add in that you are talking about Australia, in the Americas theres less expansion into foreign country minted silver so emphasis on US silver (regardless of how its traded at spot + generic margin or slightly over (maybe) in Australia

+1

5. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

I suppose you are paying extra for the lower size? How does the ASE compare to the generic Buffalo 1 oz silver round price wise? Is there any other cheaper 1 oz bar/round.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

these puppies (the ASE) are selling for more on bullion bourse than the 2012 kook or the Dragon (if they had it in!)

Despite the premium when you buy, theres little secondary market demand at premiums, even the 1995-1996 key dates have stopped attracting premiums. That seems localised more than worldwide but id say Europeans fancy variation as much as us Antipodians.

1for1

7. Silverthorn

I would imagine that the US would see many multiplies of generic rounds sold over the ASEs.

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

- Well recognised in both the domestic (American) market and internationally
    - Legal tender which can be transported with less hassles and tax implications
    - Counterfeiting is the under the purview of the Secret Service and is a federal offence, so there are fewer problems with fakes

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think you would be correct. the amount of silver sold there must be staggering .

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

These are all very good traits in a silver coin, what i have recently decided is that limited mintage coins obtainable at premiums to that of the ASE result in a better ROI.

Lunar, Pandas, Britannia - Areas that let down the ASE's are:

- Mass Production (August ASE sales - 3,679,500) :/
    - Lack of design change (and the fact the design is a rehashed half dollar design)
    - Lack of secondary market demand for premiums at which ASE's were obtained.
    - No real investment return over said premium including 1995 and 1996's.

Please understand i have a decent stack of ASE's myself and i have only changed my philsophies since joining SS this year.

1for1

11. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

You left out the most important factor for many of those who would tend to buy silver. The ASEs and AGEs are not reportable transactions. Many of the people who buy gold and silver do not trust the US government. So, they naturally don't want the government to be aware of their purchases.

Regarding the premiums, most of the premium is recouped on sale here. So, the net premium cost is about the same as the rounds. And since the coins are well recognized, they are readily accepted in the gold and silver communities.

12. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

Makes sense. Freight is cheaper from Perth to Perth than from America to Perth.

It also explains why APMEX sell the kook for more than an ASE.

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Might be freight and might just be less competition. The ASEs are cheaper than the kooks and that should more than offset the shipping. Only the Shadow and the dealer know for sure. :)

14. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Wot's the word in the US on QE3? Gentle Ben might get around to it? $1 trillion or something is being floated around..... gold to $2,500 no worries if that happened.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Matthew, my best guess is what they with continue with what is being called QE2.5. The Fed is going to use the proceeds from all maturing Treasuries, plus any principal received from CDOs, CMOs, etc. and use that money to buy long term Treasuries. I am assuming that means the 30 year bonds. Also, it appears that our government is going to be even more benevolent to the banksters and their allies. See the link below about the expect sale of foreclosed homes at cheap prices to the privileged elite.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...funds_n_937063.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

I still have the opinion that Bernanke wants QE3 forced upon him. He knows QE1 & 2 didn't work, but he is clueless to do anything else. Bernanke is also having to deal with dissension within the Fed ranks. Bernanke will not do anything else until Obama has outlined his plan for future job growth. I hope they don't do anything else this year. Just keep the stock market propped up. If the USD tanks this year, it is going to screw up my exit plans big time.

16. Silverthorn

With interest rates at zero not much they can do to boost the economy but print. Their big problem has been the US dollar hasn't rallied with the shake out in the markets. If they print with the dollar so low there's a good chance of pushing it over the cliff.

17. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

18. Silverthorn

19. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Number of ASEs I own...0

20. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

things i want to get out of and trade (1for1) for decent bullion like Kooks, lunars etc.. ill still keep my pretty half dollars though.. that design was meant for and is far better suited to a 12 gram coin IMHO

So ASE's are only 998 fine?

1for1