Auction idea - 1 kg PAMP silver for assorted smaller pieces

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hazy, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hazy

hazy Active Member

Hiya stackers, I'm a new member and I'm enjoying exploring the site.

I've got this lovely bar with certificate, I want more silver but having cashflow problems (just moved house). So instead of waiting I thought maybe I could leverage this bar up into more silver or at least the same amount in smaller chunks. (because a lot of smaller pieces would suit me but maybe the kg would suit someone else more?). Maybe it's a dumb idea because of the premiums involved after all that's why I got the kg in the first place. Lowest premium over spot that I could find, but then I didn't know about SS back then.

I have seen some of the starter packs and mixed deals and I'm interested to find out what kind of dealio you guys reckon I might swing for the bar. At this stage I'm just testing the water okay? It's actually not on the market yet!

A little gold would be okay in the deal I suppose, a la CK's starter packs. But again, I'd be considering the spot value not numi. That might come later for me but for now I'm thinking spot or close to.

So, what you reckon? Clearly I'm trying to come out in front on this deal in terms of the overall premium value of my stack, so am I mental, or would this auction have merit? Zero sum game? Or mutual reward?

(full disclosure: I actually have three of these bars so I guess if this worked out really well for me I MIGHT try and pull it again! But maybe not, I'd have to stew on it. More likely I'd try and flog a few coins later on to profit from the deal. Also, Bullionmark, where I got them from has them in stock for $1230 which I think is only $60 over spot so you could always just buy one.)

cheers, hazy

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

96 x round 1966 50c each pay freight each way. I would want to work out some details first but keen for that offer, gives you a great start into one of the easiest fractionals to trade.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Is this bar actually for sale or is it just a what-if exercise in "price discovery"?

Buy, Swap & Sell forums are for trading only.

4. hazy

hazy Active Member

Thanks for the offer, like I said it isn't on the market but that's a really good deal. I also got a PM offering 32 1oz kooks/maples/koals/ase which seems to be in the same ballpark, ie it is 32oz of ASW but probably higher premium value. The other offer didn't mention freight options so I assume I'd be paying one way freight. Still...

I was trying to explain the premium value to SWMBO to show why it is a good deal but she don't get it or possibly she don't care. Bottom line is she will roast me if there is one ounce less ASW! But like even a couple hundred grams of pre-45 junk would get the ASW up there and I could sell that to the boss. She's also wary of scammers and would probably prefer I do the deal face to face. I'm in Canberra so that would probably have to be here or Sydney. So at my end there are definitely still strings attached (apron strings ha ha!) before I could proceed with anything.

I'm feeling that this idea has some merit though so thanks again for the input. I'll consider my options and confer with the Mrs. but it might be that I just have to save up some fiat and get my buzzing finger ready for action :cool:

5. hazy

hazy Active Member

sorry about that GP. yes it was a hypothetical, feel free to move/delete the thread.