Argentina

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Load of Bullion, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

Here is superb short film.

Bitcoins in Argertina.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__m-w4N7NI[/youtube]

Contrast: Here is a perspective from Andreas Antonopoulos whom visited Argentina.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYfY7n6sjS4[/youtube]

As gold is mentioned in the above short film:
    II've found it difficult to find good information on this subject on the net.
    Here is a screen capture from Kitco regarding gold purchasing in Argentina.
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://www.kitco.com/ind/Wilcox/201...d-Premium-Title-Gold-Miners-Weekly-Recap.html

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Coming soon to a world near you.

3. matt71

matt71 Member

indeed..

I think Argentina will be the next 'cyprus' event

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mother-in-laws husband is Argentinean.

They have stopped his Argentine pension, and if he does not go there in person within three (3) months, he is presumed dead to the system.

But as with all things - even though he has not officially worked one (1) day in Australia (or paid any tax) he will still get a full Australian pension, as he has done for the last 10 or so years.

Things are not going well for Argentine.

5. Load of Bullion

So he has gone from receiving two pensions to one!.

Below are some further pertinent videos for those interested:

Bitcoins: Liberating Organic Farmers (Argentina)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLpx6gQtUU[/youtube]

Speaker Andreas Antonopoulos presents at an Argentinian conference.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6XIBnThpY[/youtube]

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw a video last year of Christina Kirchener walking through a marketplace helping herself to & stuffing her arrogant face with 'free samples' of the produce from the vendors

... i thought, well that says it all :mad:

7. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Argentina has been in a cyprus event for a while now...

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

This is not trolling but a serious question (in my mind anyway) - why bitcoin and not, say litecoin or even dogecoin ?

dogecoin is based on a copy of exactly the same software as bitcoin.
    the windows clients are identical
    they both have a network of miners
    there is a dogecoin android wallet (ported from the bitcoin wallet by Andreas Schildbach so is identical)

I understand that bitcoin was the original and is the most widely known
    It has the largest and highest powered mining network and a strong base of developers behind it
    those behind dogecoin are still figuring it out (eg. sudden fork a couple of days ago due to a huge transaction)

As for Argentina, they are hugely different to Cyprus.
    Cyprus was a surprise event where a trusting people suddenly found their banks and govt screwed them over.
    Argentinians are used to not trusting their government or their currency.

9. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Many reasons why bitcoin over other coins, but it would come down to it being the most recognised, accepted and in demand, making it easier to sell for goods or other currencies than other coins. Probably also more stable than the rest (that does not mean very much in the crypto world though, I realise that).

10. Load of Bullion

Within the cryptocurrency ecosystem one is presented with plenty of options. You can create trewcoin if you desire.
    Having watched every vid presentation I can find with Andreas Antopoulos in it, I can tell you that it is his view that Bitcoin is probably going to remain the dominant 'coin' into the foreseeable future.
    He regards that a series of other coins will (6-7 or so) will maintain about say 30% of the market. Further, these secondary coins may not have been devised yet. These are just his predictions naturally.
    Antonopoulos would certainly not be adverse to people making their own choice.

Take the example of Bitpay. Bitpay decided to only deal with Bitcoin (this may change in the future). A reason for dealing only with Bitcoin is that it is less confusing for the thousands of retailers and businesses they are dealing with.
    Bitcoin is new to them, let alone potentially confusing things with further coins. It can be a case of 'Keep It Simple Stupid' (KISS).

Further, people in Argentina may have more pressing hurdles to over come beyond the luxuries of cryptocurrency selection.
    Listen to the 'LTB Roundtable' video in my initial post on this thread to get an idea.
    It like all the largely irrelevant short term noise about volatility, price and bubbles without looking at the bigger picture in a way.
    I might get angry because the toilet is blocked, but most of worlds population don't even live in houses with plumbing. Context.

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To clarify, and perhaps I should have been more circumspect, the point of my original post was to show how desperate the Argentinean economy is, by deleting pension recipients if they do not respond within three (3) months of a request.

However, a good point has been raised regarding two (2) pensions and offset arrangements. In this case lets suggest that the Argentinean pension is say the equivalent of A$60/week. The corresponding adjustment is predominately pro-rata against my mother-in-laws (MIL) pension and not her husband.

This is because of a loop hole in the system, that he does not actually get an aged pension, but a sickness/health benefit (even though he is not sick). This is above board and at the suggestion of the social security dept - figure that one out and you're better than me!

He has a beach side resort house back in Argentina, and even though he complains about Australia not giving him enough money for free, somehow manages to amass enough money to travel back every three-four (3-4) years for circa three (3) months at a time.

As an aside his daughter, and separately granddaughter, managed to come to Australia after him, under the pretext of studying English. Once again, to a certain extent, tax payer funded. But the real reason is to live here permanently, as the daughter has managed to do. The granddaughter will follow suite, as soon as she has finished her 'year of study'.

12. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You say different and mention spefics, which I don't disagree with, but big picture, I say the same. Theft.

If anything argentina will show us what happens when the government makes it difficult to acquire btc. If the chinese are implementing a psuedo ban/restrictions on BTC, then argentina already have them through dollar restrictions.

There is also the point of the technology gap of developing countries. Pcs/phones are ridiculously expensive there by our standards, let alone their wages and not exactly the latest and greatest.