Are you in the Panda Camp

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by hiho, May 19, 2011.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I here a lot of static regarding Pandas and the authenticity of the coins. I dont own any Pandas as I am nervous about getting lumped with a dud. Interested how many stackers have Pandas and

1)what types,
    2)also are the easy to offload
    3)who makes Pandas

TIA Hiho

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I own just 1 panda, 1/4oz Au - got it off yennus. Small but very nice coin. Shame I can't touch it as it's in its wrapper.

3. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

only recently into pandas....i started a thread about my shopping trip in shanghai where i picked up a couple pandas.....i have included some photos of these silver 1oz pandas....i too was concerned about the prevalence of fakes with these chinese silver coins. however, i did buy these from the source in shanghai - so i was not concerned at their authenticity. from the research i have undertaken -(and others here can confirm or ellaborate further - i understand there are 3 mints in china where the pandas are produced. the shenzhen mint, the shanghai and beijing mints. to my knowledge these pandas are exclusively distributed by the China Gold Coin Company. These are the guys that i visited in shanghai - so i am confident i have the real deal. ( I suppose that answers your third question).....

your question 1 - i just have the 2011 1oz pandas...thats my starting point...i will need to do more research before i start backdating my collection of pandas....
    your question 2 - from what i have seen, seems that pandas do hold a special place in some silver stackers collections.....but like any other silver coin - everyone has their own different preference.....

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I got some Gold pandas off yennus and some silver ones off maggie so I know they're legit :)

Thanks for the info white-metal-man, I intend to go to China at the end of the year to get myself some more pandas, will probably go directly to the mint in Shenzhen then!

5. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

not sure about the silver pandas.....but i know that the genuine gold pandas come standard in soft plastic sealed sleeves. the name of the producing mint is stamped on the perimeter of the plastic sleeves. a typical example is shown in my other shanghai shopping thread......good luck with your purchases in china

6. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have some 2009s (my favorite), 2010s and 2011s.

1/10oz gold 2010 too.

I'm trying to get at least 1x2008 panda.

Slam

7. enzedda

enzedda Member

I have 1 coloured 2007 1oz which was included in a package deal I bought. Have no idea if its real or not. Damned if I could find a picture anywhere to compare it with!

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I have quite a few 1 oz Silver Pandas I've collected over the past 24 months. Some lucky finds I paid a fraction of their current resale value. I found it easy to buy the 89 Panda around the $30 mark for about six months so I snapped up quite a few before the price got too high. Occasionally you'll still get a bargain, but it seems much harder now. I'm still buying the annual releases. I noticed recently the obverse strike on the latest coins is very weak, they are getting a bit lazy & using the same dies for consecutive years I guess? The earlier years proof versions are magnificent coins with the finest detail. Sure to be high value collectables in the near future. Anyone thinking about buying Panda's should do their research, buy Peters book & check the authenticity of any coin you intend purchasing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.pandacollector.com/buyersguide3.html

9. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

thanks dynoman....might be useful getting that book....must be a great reference !!?

10. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

I have 2 Pandas 1/4 Au. Bought from Yennus so very legit. I am sure I would be able to sell them easily. They are a beautiful strike.

11. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have at least one from all silver 1oz pandas from 1989-2011

12. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

If you want gold pandas, i can vouch for yennus, brisbanecoin and pete.

Btw i never thought i would like gold pandas, but once you see the detail on them....

13. DutchBullion

DutchBullion New Member

Only 2 silver 2009 panda's. My fav's!!

14. Angavar

Angavar Member

15. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

I love pandas as they're really more beautiful than some of they ultra-hyped up coins out there...but I only buy from reputable dealers.

The 2009 30th anniversary silver 1 oz. coin was recently priced at $99+ at APMEX after the final mintage number was released...I wish I had bought more of it!

16. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

whats the best way, if any, to pick a fake?

17. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

For starters, I'd check the weight and do a visual inspection against reported fakes (for instance, use the panda collector's guide).

18. mmm....shiney!

1. check this website, http://www.pandacollector.com/buyersguide3.html and if you want to buy -

2. buy only from reputable sources (eg yennus)

3. buy only coins in their protective plastic condoms. Make sure they are protected. Apparently and for some god unknown reason, the counterfeiters find it easier to counterfeit coins than the plastic wrappers.

19. silversardine

silversardine Member

I picked a few from Downies last year and they seem to remove them from the original seals and repackage in their own coin pouch.

20. mmm....shiney!

Downies is a reputable organisation so I wouldn't have a problem buying from them. The problem is if you want to on-sell and they've been removed from the plastic, if you get my drift. :)