Are we spoilt for local choice as Australian stackers?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by AngloSaxon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Just a brief observation.

I'm about to have a holiday including to the UK. I asked in the Silver Coins thread on Britannias if anyone knew if there was a proof version of the 2013 Britannia. I'd like to get something special over there to remember the trip like a High Relief coin or something, but not necessarilly load up on simple bullion coins I can get anywhere. No responses. So went looking at bullion shops in the UK, Atkinsons, ATS Bullion amongst others. It just looks like one type of Britannia is available, including the bullion coin in a card marketed as 'Brilliant Uncirculated'.

I'm just so used to looking at Australian sites where we are spoilt for choice. You can get ASEs, Philharmonics, Pandas etc everywhere you look. However looking locally from the Perth Mint if you want a coin you can choose from 3 designs (Lunar, Kook, Koana) in silver or 4 if you'd like gold, plus everything except the Kangaroos can be found in some variation either gilded, coloured, in a matched set, in sizes up to 1kg and above sometimes, proof, high relief, the list goes on and I'm not including the whole other stream of small batch purely numismatics (ships, deadly and dangerous etc). The RAM has much less collectible items but they too have a lot of choice.

Just looking at overseas coins and having the choice of one Royal Mint bullion coin, or going to something produced as a once-off that's more numismatic, like the 2012 Jubilee coin... It's just rather more limited and a boring choice than what I'm used to.

What does everyone else think. Am I being spoilt or is the rest of the world needing to catch up to us.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably because the low mintage of 2,500 for 2013 Proofs means they've already sold out. I know a few UK members use bullionbypost.co.uk so might be worth calling them to see if they can be of assistance. VRS might be able to help... He knows the mean streets of the Great British Empire.

I concur that we are indeed very spoilt for choice here but it all depends on what you're into. I find the harder something is to get, the more I want it. Peso's, Krugs, Guilders, Coronas etc are all fairly hard to come by here so sometimes have to settle for Certicards or Sovs instead.

Sometimes I think there's too much choice... I've now got a large collection of almost 'one of everything' and now thinking it'd be a whole lot easier if the stack was composed of just the one bar and coin type. Boring but simples.

3. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree with House.
    Choice here is great until you want something like a foreign gold coin.
    I have already simplified and recommend it. PM Bars and lunars, with a few pretty old gold foreign coins chucked in to keep me interested. :)

4. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Old gold coins are my fave now that spots down i gotta go hunting...