Are graded coins worth it?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by hem9, Nov 9, 2012.

1. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I bought 3x pcgs graded coins all 69's recently, as my first foray into that niche market. I was quite disappointed as the coins has copper spots and milk spots. If the imperfections were there when the coins were graded then why bother grading it or if they developed after the grading process, why bother paying the high premium to grade coins that develop these problems? Is it worth buying graded coins? As I am sure that this problem has happend to other people.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Guess buying designer sunglasses, handbags, shoes and underpants begs the same question ?

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

It really depends on the coin. Rare coins and coins plagued by authenticity concerns are certainly worth buying graded or having graded to a certain extent. You really need to look at the cost benefit and whether or not grading will increase or decrease the attainable value, especially on more modern releases.

A couple examples, not long ago it was worth grading every silver panda from 2009 back. Now it's probably not really worth grading any releases after 2001. The Australian Lunar Series coins do not seem to command any real premium after grading, so I'd say it isn't worth grading these at all. If you can buy a graded one close to the price of a raw version, maybe there is some value there. Some older US coinage definitely is worth grading ... so it really all depends on the coin.

For gold, copper spots are very common and is actually a sign of authenticity in many instances, and depending on the way the copper is coming through the metal, it can actually increase its appearance and is desirable to some collectors. Here's an older, but interesting piece on copper spots from NGC: http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=572

As for milk spots, sometimes those suckers can make their way to the surface of a coin long after it has been graded. If this occurs and you feel it makes the coin unsellable, you can send it in to NGC for review and possible reimbursement. I think PCGS has a similar guarantee.

I understand this is frustrating. I've graded many coins, even conserved some, that have later developed the dreaded white spots. It's a quality control issue with the mints, not the grading companies. It's debated how much impact spotting has on a coin's grade. Appearance does play a role in grading, but actual flaws from the die or mishandling the coin itself play a far greater role.

Good luck, and just be cost-conscious. A little bit of research quickly reveals if grading, and what grades, on a certain coin command a premium.

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think Derriks post covered this very well. I would also add that with silver coins with possible Numi future value are much more preserved in slabs (at least NGC), as I have old sets of the first Aus. lunar series that look shiney and new like the day I bought them where as many of the older ones I have and have seen just in capsules have developed tarnish , mostly on the rims.