APCGS

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by ashleyd123, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

I'm wondering if anyone has used APCGS (Australian Professional Coin Grading Service) in NSW. I see their prices and turnaround time are quite reasonable compared with PCGS which I believe costs around $50 per coin including freight from Oz to the US.
    I have some Aussie crowns and florins which I'm thinking of getting graded. I know this upsets some purists, but I'd really like to check my own grading skills and possibly add future value to the coins should I sell them.

2. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There was an Australian coin grading company grading coins some years back but i think it became defunct (ACGS). Graded coins have not really taken off here in Australia but is huge overseas,you only have to look at the big auction houses and the amount of coins they auction that have been graded by the big three tpg companies.If you buy slabbed coins you are assured of the grade and the authenticty,this is a huge plus with the amount of fakes being sold around the world. Whether this company's graded coins will be recognised worldwide will take time,many have come and gone but it seems that the top three are widely accepted by investors and collectors. I will continue to use PCGS and NGC as the $20 difference to get a coin slabbed is worth many times the return on a rare coin

3. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

Thanks Aussie,
    SO nobody has heard of or used APCGS? I've seen a few of their coins on feebay and I'm curious as to their accuracy/grading level and if their level of service is good and trustworthy.

4. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you have anything that is worth grading I would only stick with the top two and most well known like PCGS or NGC
    They are the two big names in the US and Europe and that is where the big money is when it comes time to sell.

5. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

^^^I believe the extra $$ is worth the branding. Ive been looking at slabbing for some time and was tempted. BUT...... The big two use the Sheldon Grading system, not sure what these mob use. Eg ebay at the moment APCGS slab '1954 florin royal visit' Grading VF - MS30??? . Very confusing as MS is surely Mint State, being a coin that has not seen circulation. MS should grade to 60 mininum.
    The other question is why slab such a low grade common coin? I would hazzard a guess, but most stackers of junk would have plenty in this grade. None of it adds up to me.

6. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I sold a Coin Last week on Ebay that was graded by NGC. The final price was in excess of $1400 and was sold within 15 minutes of listing,too cheap perhaps?. The same coin ungraded would not have achieved half this price. Spend the extra $20-$30 and have it done properly. NGC or PCGS is the way to go.

7. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just saw somewhere that they do not grade US coin anymore due to fake/replica coin.

Like c'mon....

8. silverfish88

silverfish88 New Member

this company has improved a lot sine a few years ago
    also just slabbed a major historical collection that will be sold by iag auction house in a few months
    this company grades a lot harsher than pcgs and even more so than ncgs
    if your looking at keeping your coins for your self and want to confirm grades and have safer storage of you coins I would use this company
    if u want to sell your coins for top $$$ I would use pcgs as the grades will be higher in lower grade coins but both companies
    seem to level out around ms64 - ms65 anyway