AP lost item. what do i do?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by JDMseaweed, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

I bought something on ebay. the seller posted via usps with no signature req.
    The tracking shows it was delivered to my office on 27th Oct 14:11pm
    But the thing is me and my receptionist was at the office during that time - we received no package.

I've called AP. is there anything I can do? because I'm suspecting they're going to say they held up to their end of the service.

Just looking for advice or steps I can take. Maybe one of you have been through this.

thanks

2. ytrader

ytrader Member

I'm currently going thru a similar claim, but it was a domestic express post.
    Sender helped me to lodge a lost parcel complaint with Aust Post, and I lodged another complaint as the receiver, and Aust post is "investigating" the claim.
    Apparently the Aust Post contractor delivered my parcel, and someone signed for it (obviously they didn't check their ID).

3. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Start by submitting a paypal claim, the seller will be asked to provide a proof of postage and proof of delivery (Signature), if they fail to provide the requested information then Paypal will refund you.

4. ytrader

ytrader Member

if they have tracking indicating that its delivered then you can't claim it against ebay/paypal...

5. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the fault lies somewhere in the postal chain, and not with the seller. Not fair that the seller should lose out if they happen to not be able to check all the paypal boxes.

6. Garnet

Garnet Active Member Silver Stacker

Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. $400 worth of bullion disappeared, the tracking says it was delivered. I put a claim in and it was bad luck it was delivered :(

7. ytrader

ytrader Member

Did u get anything back from Aust Post?

8. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

^yea, same as above.. Did you get anything back Garnet"?

I don't see why I should be held liable for the loss. I paid on time, I used paypal. The PO screwed up. It's only $100 approx, so not a HUGE sum, but I don't see why I am being penalized. it's the principle, I did nothing wrong.

regarding them falsely saying delivered, shouldn't paypal/ebay refund me? Isn't that t'he whole point of using papal in the first case - so that I''m covered. i wonder what VISA has to say about this, I used VISA credit card through paypal.

9. Garnet

Garnet Active Member Silver Stacker

No nothing

10. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Paypal isn't as good as it claims to be either. I sent some gear back to the seller, seller refused to accept parcel from AP and Paypal's response was tough luck!
    I have a problem with my local PO - according to AP delivery is affected once they deliver it to the local LPO, as that is when delivery is recorded, not when I actually sign for it. Luckily when I rang up (having spoken to the seller) the local lass was able to find the parcel on the shelves - not sure it would have been a happy outcome if it had been a larger PO.
    But now I know - if it doesn't show delivered twice, then it is still sitting at the PO.

11. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

so if paypal decides to do nothing... can I fall back on VISA?
    call my bank and chargeback on my credit card? any ideas

12. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PayPal is useless. Their decisions are arbitrary. I won an auction from a BIG German coin dealer and the coin didn't show up. The tracking on Deutsche post website says posted at the local German post office. Then that's it. No record of it ever even entering into Australia. I put in PayPal claim and they found in favour of the seller! Said they provided proof of having sent the coin. Now this was a $1000 coin.

I then contacted my credit card company and did a charge back and got my money back as obviously they couldn't provide proof of delivery. To my knowledge visa and MasterCard have charge back facility but not amex. Hence I tend to use those rather than amex through PayPal when buying from eBay.

I'm not sure in your case whether being 'delivered' is proof of delivery though. I would probably start by contacting the seller who may be able to put in a claim with the USPS for compensation if you hear nothing from ap, then PayPal claim (unlikely they'll favour you though in this case), then last resort contact your credit card company. I think you have 6 months to do a charge back (but don't quote me on that).

Good luck.

13. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

^ thanks mate,
    Hopefully VISA has me covered.

will update later how i go...

14. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I think there is considerable scope for corrupt conduct or outright theft along the delivery chain.

When we get items sent by courier to work, the drivers seem to not care at all who signs for it. As long as it's someone. It's only ever documents that are worthless to them and they want the recurring delivery contract. Not a one-off expensive item they'll never be audited on for actual delivery, or have any worry about recurrent business from the receivers' perspective.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Per paypal on the buyer's side:

"Refunds
    If an order doesn't arrive or match the description, we'll reimburse the full cost of eligible purchases and paid shipping costs."

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Per paypal on the seller's side:

"Protected Sales
    Tangible items that are sold and shipped with proof of delivery from within the United States to buyers worldwide. To ensure you're protected, ship within 7 days to the address that the buyer specifies during checkout. Be upfront about all the details of the item, specifically defects, use, and abnormalities. Also disclose an accurate delivery estimate.

Proof of Delivery
    Required for protection eligibility. A digital or physical proof of delivery from the shipping company that should include: ship date, buyer's address, and delivered date."

Curious what the experienced sellers say. I am considering starting to sell on ebay later this year or next year.

Edit re credit card companies. I think you normally have 90 days to file a dispute. I talked with CapitalOne Visa the other day and under whatever plan my 1 & 1/2% cash back is, I have 119 days.

16. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

Conclusion to my story:

Paypal refused my claim. Now as an honest buyer I feel pissed off with paypal. What's the point of paying their fees if they wont look after me. How the hell am I suppose to prove I didn't get it; other than by saying it/ lodging a complaint to
    Auspost/Bank/Paypal. The case reviewer was pretty #@#!@

So as per auspost advice, contacted my card provider and processed a chargeback

All sorted now

NOTE: If someone else ends up in my position, call your bank. VISA and Mastercard should do the right thing.

17. ytrader

ytrader Member

keep in mind that the seller can dispute charge backs against you as well, if they can prove that they have sent the item, Visa/Mastercard will charge you again :/

anyways, my parcel (express post) arrived about 3weeks after it was posted (QLD to NSW). no idea what happened, AP didn't give a response. Im guessing the driver had it somewhere in his/her truck, couldnt find it at the time so tagged it as delievered :|

18. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

What was the reason provided by Paypal to refuse your claim ?

19. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank you for this thread.

I recently lost an item that was posted from Australia to the States using AP. Apparently USPS received the item and somebody had already made a small cut in the padded envelope and took out the item.

Guess I'll probably have more luck just talking to my bank to reverse the charge. :\

20. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

As far as I'm concerned, Paypal is useless.

Now, I'm pretty sure all of them have insurance to cover themselves [as in paypal has its'own insurance cover to itself]
    so at the end of the day I don't think they care.

now this was only $100... its nothing to them, but its a alot to me because they questioned my integrity. I'm not happy with them.

so yea, if anything further occurs, i'll update this thread