anyone mind assessing the value of this collection for me?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TinPotWizard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

(5) 1 oz2008 eagles

(2) 1 oz chinese lunar Panda/Rabbits '

(1) 1 oz chinese panda/horse

10 oz bar NWT

any of these have a significant nuismatic value above spot?

thanks

2. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

thanks oz, if the seller replies ill update this thread with year/cond

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

G'Day - Youd be well advised to not touch silver pandas if you are not absolutley familar with the difference between real and not. The Silver Physical market is rife with Fake pandas and the most common way of getting ripped off is in a face to face trade or on an online auction site. Chinese horse also sounds dodgy.

Rabbit might get you $50, Lunar Panda Hmmm...

The NWT bar sounds safe.. should be spot if your lucky!

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Eagles, probably spot +$5.00. NWT spot or so. Pandas....hmmm so widely faked. Just have a look how "real" these 2010 fake Pandas look in the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwytQ-8A4s[/youtube]

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Reference please! Never seen a fake ASE (discounting the 999 silver ASE generic round copies).

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I agree, i have never seen a fake ASE but have been to many a fair/sale with fake pandas, ebay etc.

Morgans and Peace Dollars get faked, old trade dollars also in my experience.

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I keep seeing the same image of a "1906" fake ASE on the web. Fake Pandas (gold and silver) I've held in my hands.

8. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

I think the packaging is the dead giveaway in the video... the legit ones still have different packaging from what I've been reading and managed to hold... good luck~

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I wish people would stop repeating that rumor about fake ASEs. There is no credible evidence of any fake ASEs, but that doesn't stop internet rumor mongering. I challenged this guy or someone else who posted that rumor a long time ago to produce a single fake ASE and no one has been able to do so.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Id like to see an image or a link to an auction? Id also like to add a fake specimen to my collection so i can spot the difference myself (so an active auction would be good). Im sure the usa govt would come down hard on a private entity issuing illegal ASE legal tender *(as opposed to china without intellectual property laws)

I spent an hour last night going through all the links of the first two pages of google results and other than the 1904 ASE (LOL) found nothing... just a bunch of random articles from journalists with no knowledge of silver. Google images didnt help either... Ironically a link i found from images was a post by gold pelican with a link back to silver stackers about a morgan fake with an ASE. (great post by the way)

If you know much about how google pulls search results "fake silver eagle" might get some good results, but I am yet to see one that shows a fake eagle 1986 onwards. So if you do stumble on a link with actual images (ALL the articles i browsed discussed fakes BUT ONLY had real images...).

One anomoly is a device for real ASE's which looks like a wooden spoon and is used to confirm it being real... kinda seems useless when ASE's dont get faked (as far as i can tell)

I agree someone could produce and scam but maybe crime syndacates are two scared of faking legal tender in USA knowing that it is a serious crime (i dont know how much criminals care about the law but this is something to consider.)

Please note the original poster was offered ASE as well so in total the silver offered could ALL turn out to be dodgy except for the NWT bar which is a proberly safe purchase.

[​IMG]
    This one is actually silver but just one gram, other 2 100 mills! ALL marked copy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully no-one thinks these are the real...

1for1

11. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

thanks for the advice on fakes. Would printing off a image of a legitimate panda and closely comparing them to the ones in question be enough to establish any difference? or are the fakes that good?