Anyone Know anything about this Coin?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Bazil, May 4, 2012.

1. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

Hi all Just found this old coin in my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know anything about it? composition? origin?

Its from 1908 and I'm pretty sure its German, That's all I know. lol

Thanks for looking!

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

3. Bazil

Thanx GP =)

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I will do a silver swap if interested it looks pretty cool. PM me if interested.

It has a nice die crack running from the II across the to the "N" it has a few dings here and there but overall looks in very nice condition

5. Bazil

ohhh Yeah I never noticed that before.

I Haven't the slightest clue about coins really. I inherited this and some other old coins from my grandfather so I can't really let it go. Thanks for the reply =)

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

What else did he leave we may be able to help with some details for you ? Always interesting to see what is around and been handed down.

Totally understand on the swap :) if you ever change your mind you know where to find us.

7. Bazil

Well I got Lots of old penny's, Old Aussie pre-decs like florins and 37/38 crowns, some 66 50s' SOme NZ florins and other NZ coins. Some from PNG and Tonga. Also English penny's, crowns and half crowns.
    A few American coins a Morgan dollar, some liberty dollars? and Kennedy halves. Canada 66 dollar.
    Bunch of random ones and tokens and junk.

I Really like the older ones, One penny is 164 years older then me! =P
    I took some pics of these ones, they aren't silver but still interesting. Some of them are blurry Sorry =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is a token I think.

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

They are in fair condition. Certainly seen a lot worse. The token is pretty cool. Good to see it go to someone who is appreciative of it.

9. sammler

sammler New Member

Specification: 5 Mark Kaiserreich from 1877-1915
    Composition Ag 900/Cu 100, Weight 27,778 gram, Diameter 38 mm

The depicted coin is from the former Knigreich Wrttemberg (Kingdom of Wrttemberg) one of the different states of the German Empire with the right to mint their own coinage. This is actually where I live, with the small exception that its name is Baden-Wrttemberg today. Baden-Wrttemberg is southern Germany left to Bavaria and right to our neighbor France. Baden was a Groherzogtum (Grand duchy) and after the WWII the two states where joined after public referendum. The coinage of Baden is highly appreciated and in better conditions XF+ very valuable.

The date of your coin is more common (type minted from 1892-1913), a number of 531716 coins were minted in 1908 (all data from catalog Schn 96/97). Lower grades (vf) are inexpensive, for example:

http://www.ma-shops.de/frank/item.php5?id=3066
    http://www.ma-shops.de/frank/item.php5?id=3065

Dates such as 1895 and 1906 are key, and even more so 1894 (with just 20000 minted) -the latter is quite expensive even in lower grades.

Regarding your coin:

The coin depicted doesn't look right to me, it's either an original with altered surface (polished) or a fake to begin with.

I'm not an expert on these coins, and you can make of my input what you want.

10. Bazil

Thanks for the info and links sammler. Its good to hear from someone that is from the same place that the coin was minted!

I don't really know this coins past but the photo I took makes it seem more shiny then it really is.

Also its got some cross symbols and some branches on the rim of the coin and The letters 'MIT UNS GOTT' Does that mean anything?

11. sammler

sammler New Member

That's also possible, taken photos can be misleading.

The cross is a reference to the legacy continued and re-established by the German Empire (Kaiserreich) in regards to the Holy Roman Empire (Heiliges Rmisches Reich) after some years of interregnum. The Holy Roman Empire itself succeeded the fallen Roman Empire, lasted for a thousand years , and was later during the Napoleonic wars dissolved. That's why Hitler Germany was called the Third Reich, the second one being the German Empire and the first one being the The Holy Roman Empire. Hitler wanted to emulate a thousand years lasting Empire similar to its predecessor.

The oak symbolizes Germany, its leaves and branches are often used on coinage -even today. It stands for prosperity and wealth.

The motto "Mit Uns Gott" is analogous to the American motto "In God We Trust", with one very big difference.
    Mit Uns Gott
    With Us God -->

Basically the "Us" represents here not the German people, but the German Kaiser and his mandate of heaven (power given by God to rule). Contrary to the American motto where "We" is the people and the power given by god through the strength of believe to the people themselves. Former states governing form being monarchy in contrast to American Democracy.

The oak as the peoples symbol is still used and the monarchistic motto burned by the fires of history for good.

12. Bazil

Hold on a sec I thought you said You Aren't an expert??? lol

Thanks for that sammler =)