anyone ever get any results from an auspost lost parcel investigation?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by phrenzy, Jan 8, 2015.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I recently sent some coins to a dealer to pass on for grading. It's not reality relevant who it was to, I trust them and I'm around 95% sure that it's an australia post problem. I sent them express post by because it was going to a GPO box I figured I didn't need signature on delivery. I sent it Monday and until Wednesday morning it showed as in transit, I called australia post and they said it looked like it was there but that it just hadn't been scanned as delivered. They faxed the GPO office and later that day it was scanning as delivered on Tuesday at 5pm but the person who recieved them didn't get them.

Being the sender I can't ask for an investigation if it's been scanned in as delivered (just as the reciever can't if it doesn't arrive). The person I've sent it to has asked for one now.

The satchel has both addresses and phone numbers so I'm hoping if it went to the wrong box someone will call or post it back to either of us. Given that it's all GPOs there it likely ended up at a big business so I'm hoping it's less likely to have been kept.

Anyhow I suppose I'm really asking if anyone has ever had any joy with an auspost investigation or if it's likely to be a waste of time?

It's a damn shame, I don't earn much as a student but the contents of the package represent weeks of pay. I think if I ever send anything that valuable again it will be SOD even if it's going to a box. I've never had a problem like this with express post before...

2. mrg9grn

mrg9grn New Member

I had I prob similar. My package was put in the wrong po box buy one of the new girls at the post office. Had to ask them to look if they put in a wrong box and lucky it was in a unused box it was only two silver coins so they put in your box cause it fits and they dnt need sig if it was a parcel that can't fit you'll just get a card in box and get at counter so my thoughts if I was sending anything over 500 to a po box and it could fit ill def have a sign on delivery just in case they put in wrong box

3. noah

noah Member

$2.95 for a signature = peace of mind

4. phrenzy

Lesson definitely learned. I figured PO/GPO boxes would be safe but all I can do for now is wait and hope.

5. noah

noah Member

Try an avoid calling Australia Post on their listed number, average of 40 minute wait last time I made inquiries.

Engage your local Australia Post where you sent the parcel, rather than using the phone if you can.

If you have a rapport with any of the senior staff it will help, they have been known to do the hard yards in terms of red tape.

They can get through on the phone to the relevant department without the long and frustrating wait.

With any luck the item will turn up, but you need to turn the heat up a notch or two, keep in am and pm contact.

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nnnnnooo not the sovereign's!
    Say it ain't so

7. phrenzy

Yeah, seven of them including an 1857 type 2 and my probably not but possibly VERY rare 77 s st george and 3 1899 perths.
    I feel pretty stupid at the moment but again, I've never had a problem with trackable express post.

Going to the place I sent it is a good idea. I would really like to get the number for the GPO centre.

Apparently all isn't lost as there are two lines there, one for regular post and one for express. The guy I sent it to only goes into the express if he gets a card for it and it's possible he just didn't get a card although another express post letter I sent Tuesday got there Wednesday (but possibly in his regular mail, not sure if they are treated differently from satchels/parcels). We'll find out monday.

In the meantime I'm just hoping I get a ring from some Sydney office saying they have my package.

8. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get them back

9. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Really!!! I send to suarez7, got signed and still get lost. :rolleyes:
    Apparently, signed by someone else.

10. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

A year or so ago I had a few half sovereigns sent to my PO box with signature. It showed up a few days later on my computer as 'delivered'. Long story short, it was delivered to my old residential address and not my PO box and was signed for by some random stranger. The story ended well due to the honesty of the stranger when I knocked on the door and explained the situation but even a signature isn't a guarantee if sending to a residential address. As long as they have a signature, any signature, they consider they have fulfilled their obligation and wash their hands of any responsibility. Having said that, apart from one other minor hiccough with a parcel I sent to WA the service I have had from Auspost has been good.

I hope this ends well for you.

11. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

Before I had a PO Box I used to get my pms sent to my home address with Signature on delivery. On more than one occasion I arrived home from work to find them sitting on the back verandah. I complained to the PO but they did nothing about it. I eventually installed a camera a filmed the delivery guy signing the machine himself. I spent months trying to get some satisfaction on the phone with numerous different people. The local PO did not want to know. The upshot was that it was a private contractor and I had to take it up with them, but the PO would not give me their name or phone no. In the end it all got too hard and as I hadnt actually lost anything I gave up.

12. phrenzy

Who knows why, or where it was, but it turned up today. He hasn't had time to look inside and make sure it's as it should be but I might actually sleep tonight.
    In related news the registered regular parcel from the dealer, sent on the same day (Monday last week) hasn't arrived and tracking hasn't updated since Monday. Hopefully it arrives soon, australia post is trying to to stress me to death.

Thanks for the moral support everyone.

13. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

Good to hear

With the Christmas volume, public holidays and subsequent backlog to be cleared I received some mail items today postmarked early December :)

14. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

not necessary...I sent a package with sig and was lost...made the claim and after six months of numerous phone calls finally got the maximum of $100 back for the registered package...

as u- phrenzy-were the sender u have to open an investigation

15. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've noticed every time I've asked about insuring a package the Australia Post employee tries to talk me out of it, or talk down the amount of insurance coverage. Does anyone else experience this?

I would have thought more insurance = more revenue?