Anyone dabble in ETFs?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by phillis, May 18, 2011.

1. phillis

phillis Member

ive come across ETFs recently and they've been looking more and more appetizing instead of the usual ASX stock of one company.

basically its investing in a whole sector of a market, rather than one stock in a sector of the market.

anyone else have anything to do with them? thoughts? theories?

2. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

You would have to establish a trend first and pick you entry, because if you pick the wrong time, it could take months and months for you to break even.

3. betashares

betashares New Member

Hi,
    I work for BetaShares, an Australian issuer of ETFs. I have recently posted a topic on our newly listed currency hedged gold bullion ETF (see http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-9770-new-a-hedged-gold-bullion-etf-on-the-asx.html that you might be interested in checking out.

In terms of using ETFs in portfolios, we typically find that our clients have a number of uses for these products, including long term asset allocation, short term tactical trading or hedging a portfolio.

Feel free to view our Introduction to ETFs brochure here http://cms.betashares.com.au/cms-admin/_images/4092902724d0acf05e04bf.pdf

I use ETFs in my own portfolio as well and would be happy to answer members questions on the topic

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Disclosure: I work for BetaShares Capital, an issuer of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), including Australia's first A$ Hedged Gold Bullion ETF
    These views are my own and not the views of BetaShares