Anyone buying gold only and why?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by lamp, Apr 18, 2013.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Would have been even easier a month ago. Now I know why people don't like the OPM certicards.

Sharp edges.

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sharp on the way in.... sharp on the way out. :(

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Is that a Walker and Hall Hallmark?[/quote]

It is. They are still kicking about.

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I can see a time when gold is going up(safehaven) and silver
    Is going down(too volatile.)

5. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Curious - thought you would've said 1:16 ;)

6. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

LOL. If it ever gets there I'll swap everything for gold. I don't think it ever will though. The avg GSR since leaving the gold std is around 47 I think. I saw a lot of stackers trade kg silver bars for 1oz gold when the GRS dropped last time and now I think it will be a kind of weak GSR "resistance point" and I would be surprised if it falls much below 32.

So at 40 I will play the GSR game with a third of my stack and save the rest for if it ever gets to 16 ;)

Cheers

Edit to add - my GSR target was 20 when I started investing in silver but then I studied it a bit more. Haha

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Could do, however if it does it won't stay that way for too long. Silver is most likely to be the first element to run out on Earth according to a geological entity in the US.

Silver will close the gap in the GSR, it's just a matter of time. There is only 12 times more silver in the ground than gold indicating to me that that when the high GSR gap eventually reduces it will stay that way forever.

8. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

Central Banks buying gold because it is easier to store and transport (though Germany has a problem of getting its 300 tonns :) )

I'm buying not only gold but also silver because fiat is doomed. I don't know when the final fireworks happens, but it will happen during my lifetime - I'm 100% sure. When it happens I don't want to hold a bank account or bag of fiat.

P.S. last dump of precious metal scared the shit out of weak hands, if there were a real sign of economic recovery - precious metals would be dead play for the next 10 years.

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Gold is being bought buy many for a few fundamental reasons, so do what they are and buy it.......SIlver also has potential but because of its industrial uses but it also has plenty of potential and will also appreciate.... SO I buy both metals.

10. TeaPot&ChopSticks

TeaPot&ChopSticks New Member

Ideally gold - but for people that cannot afford gold - silver will have to do.

11. Andy

Andy New Member

In the UK we have a problem with the dreaded VAT, so for me gold is the more natural choice.
    However during this week of madness I have bought Gold and Silver, seeing value in both.

12. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

Its seems clear both are undervalued

I read somewhere that said in economic doom gold will be the no 1 choice and this is where we are heading

The same article said silver will out pace gold in economic recovery.

So if the above is true then Gold is the best of the two right now and probably if the gsr goes to 75+ then within 2-3 years or whenever ecomomic recovery Really comes back then the gsr will maybe go down to around 30 / 1 and Silver will be No 1.
    There are so many unknowns that could pop up to prove the above to be incorrect....its a very basic guide. Go with you own gut instinct.

13. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

People say gold is too expensive.
    For $1000 you get $1000 of gold or silver.
    Silver large and heavier and when you hold it in your hands
    You think you've got more, but you would get more of the same effect with $1000 of bananas.
    So better to buy bananas?
    :):|

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I reckon silver is the safer bet, With an out of ground ratio of about 8:1, the GSR at 60 is way too high. Gold can lose 50% of its value and as long as the GSR corrects to less than 30, the silver stackers will beat the gold stackers hands down!

This is not an opinion, I am right!

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Been there, done that :)

16. menotcrimex

And with the gsr rising does that still make you right?

17. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+376

That'll be like NOW then eh, with GSR following accordingly? ;)

Silver's been trying to add a dollar, whilst gold is aiming to add 100 dollars on the rebound right now - in other words silver's struggling to hold 1/22nd back onto its price, whilst gold's made up (almost, or will have by eob Tuesday) 1/14th of its loss - a significantly higher partial 'recovery', temporary or otherwise...

Don't get me wrong though - there will be a pullback in gold at some point soon (http://www.bullionstreet.com/news/g...de-risk-forecast-q2-2013-1350oz-barclays/4558) - in which case silver will inevitably take another (disproportional) hit... (http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/04/18/silver-the-devils-metal-gets-snakebitten/)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ps - Don't feed the troll...

18. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My argument is that the fundamentals for silver are still sound with a stronger potential for a lower GSR. Now whether the lower GSR is through a fall in gold or a higher increase in silver I don't know. It's not unlike that should the USD get stronger and cause a drop in PMs; then the AUD would also drop maintaining our investment.

It's all hypothetical but in answer to the question, ag over au for me.

19. menotcrimex

Lol, no I wasn't having a dig at Sammy just wondered why he said that as it seems to disagree with the charts
    And gsr increasing. He explained and as I understand it ( i could be wrong ) he has a long term view that will probably be right.

But for now Gold is rising faster than Silver and may do so for a while. Look for gsr 70-75+ which imho may happen within the next 12 months or so.