Anybody else still refusing to buy the 2015 Panda?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Mar 31, 2015.

1. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

Silver britannias earlier than 2013 were not 999, but words FINE SILVER were on the coin. How do you explain that :D Fine silver means nothing.

1998 - 2012 1 Troy Ounce of .958 Silver
    2013 - Present 1 Troy Ounce of .999 Silver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see? Fine silver - 958! not 999

and this is why I like 2015:

[​IMG]

it has 999 stamp := )

2. SilverTabbyCat

SilverTabbyCat New Member

I think all it guarantees it that the coin contains one troy ounce of silver.

Coin composition itself is 90% silver and 10% copper I think. It makes it more durable.

3. atlonsa

atlonsa Member

All true that ensure that the coin contains 1 troy ounce of silver.
    Same sample at the same time may be different.

Specifically Philharmonic has all the same 999:
    http://www.muenzeoesterreich.at/eng/produkte/1-ounce-fine-silver-999

But you are right that the lower sample of silver, for example 835, 900, 917 or 925 provides greater strength and stability to the fingers.
    All circulating silver coins had a lower sample than the current investment coins.

4. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Bought 1/10 au panda to see if it wouldnt bother me. It does, so thats it for me with pandas all together.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am buying and treat it as semi numic not precious medal. I will insist the Stamp .999 silver if buy it with the view of precious metal.

Buy bar with lower premium or paper which is most cost effective for precious metal investment. Y small 1 oz bullion coin like panda with high premium as compare to bar ?

6. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

The silver Philharmonics say "1 Unze Feinsilber" on the reverse which is known in the industry to mean .999 silver, 1 troy ounce, although it does not explicitly say that.

Jim

7. New Member

I will not get the 2015 Panda...not one.

8. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

It's not enough where there are phony gold pandas to begin with. Now no markings on them.... They can give me one for free, And i'll tell them to keep it.

9. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't be able to do that. Although it's kind of annoying that it has those details missing. I wouldn't be able to skip a year in my collection. It is what it is, and that's how they minted it. I think it's better to have this coin in the collection than to miss it.

Edited to add: The lack of details does make it look like a fake.

10. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Them themselves know whats going on with the gold Pandas, And they decide no markings??? S-T-U-P-I-D..

11. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

They probably made a mistake opposed to a deliberate action, and decided to run with it anyway as they had already minted some :D

12. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Well Chris, Whatever makes there boat float... To many red spots on the pandas anyway..

13. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I am just guessing of course, but I would imagine if people don't like the coins without purity stamp, etc, then perhaps the Chinese will switch back to stamping in later years. If that happens, this might be the only year without the stamp and could make them more valuable later. Especially if the numbers were down because people didn't want them.

I plan to get a full 30 sheet or two for stashing so I guess I will find out later.

Jim

14. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I understand all that.

However, here's the thing: Other people have most certainly been thinking the same way, and are stocking up on them. And if enough people who share the same view pick up enough of them, there's goes that "low" mintage -- thereby negating that aspect of them.

Of course, you then have to deal with the issue that a percentage of people still don't want them. :)

Hey, obviously I could be wrong, and they'll end up out-performing other products..

15. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is possible and logic thinking.

1 oz silver panda is max 8 mio mintage and the mint does not annouce the actual mintage after the new one is out. It is hard to find out the actual mintage for this case.

You can consider kg and 5 oz silver panda if you feel it might become key date. The mintage is low as compare to 1 oz silver bullion panda.
    5 oz and kg are cheap as comparing to previous years ( before 2010).

16. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not boycotting them, just not actively seeking them out.

If I am on a website looking for something and I already have some items in my shopping cart then I would probably throw one in. Reputable dealer, won't add much to the postage and I don't really mind what is written on it.

17. Golden

Golden Member

I hope you all keep refusing to buy this years pandas, I have 90 of them and will gladly sell them to you later, if it proves to be low mintage year :)

18. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Anyone not buying due to moral objections to China's policies?

19. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Sorry, won't want any.. Regardless of mintage. :p

I think it's safe to say that all governments pretty much treat their citizens & other countries like garbage, in one way or another..

In which case, either buy away anything & everything -- or stick with private mints.

20. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Actually they are marked 'feinsilber'.

This has a defined meaning

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feinsilber

"Feinsilber

Feinsilber ist die Bezeichnung fr chemisch reines Silber. Es wird mit 1000/1000 Promille bzw., vor 1871, als 16-ltiges Silber bezeichnet bzw. so gestempelt. Das nach der Verhttung und Seigerung erhaltene Feinsilber wird als Ausgangsmetall fr die Mnzprgung und die Schmuckindustrie verwendet (siehe Feingehalt).

Auf vielen Mnzen des 17. und 18. Jahrhunderts findet sich dieser Begriff als Feinsilber", feines Silber" oder Silber fein" im Geprge zur Abgrenzung gegenber den unterwertigen Scheidemnzen. Viele Mnzen aus den Feudalstaaten Braunschweig-Lneburg sowie dem Harzraum um Goslar weisen diese Bezeichnung als Gtemerkmal aus.
    "

Auto translate...

"Fine silver

Fine silver is the name of chemically pure silver . It runs 1000/1000 per thousand or, before 1871, when 16-ltiges silver is stamped or so. The after smelting and segregation of fine silver is obtained as the starting metal for coinage used and the jewelry industry (see fineness ).

On many coins of the 17th and 18th century, does that expression as "fine silver", "fine silver" or "silver fine" in character to distinguish it from the unterwertigen coins . Many coins from the feudal states of Brunswick-Lneburg and the resin space to Goslar have this designation as a quality attribute.
    "

They also marked ounce and silver again on the other side. The 'feinsilber' It is the equivalent to 999.9 marking or 'pure' and has that status legally in German speaking courts as a term that distinguishes it from sterling or alloyed silver products.

I suspect the phrase 'feinsilber' has more legal weigh than four nines due to established legal precedents.

So they are marked with weight and purity.....