Any one know, Paypal and Aurora Et Luna

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverwise, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Silverwise

Silverwise New Member

Hi Guys

I have a question some one may have the answer. I would like to start ordering from Aurora Et Luna in the future. Does anyone know if one can order through paypal on his site without signing up to paypal? using a credit card. I do this through Bullionbourse and works fine.

I think the answer may be no, but worth a shot!

2. kram

kram New Member

From AEL's front page

Not sure on the procedure, and it will incur a % in fees for Paypal.

And I didn't answer your question. Carry on

3. wooferdog

wooferdog New Member

I don't believe a seller gets to choose that only existing paypal members can use the service. Therefore, it should be the same as paying via other sites in that you follow the links to pay without logging into your paypal account. Having said that, best to ask the Aurora Et Luna directly.

4. Silverwise

Silverwise New Member

Thanks I think I have worked it out!
    Yes I signed up to paypal a year ago , but it stuffed up and Ive never used it. Wen I tried to sign in it wouldnt. But I must be an existing member as it lets me have the option to use it while not being signed in.

I have spoken to Steve, he is not sure!

5. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it might be a good idea to contact Paypal directly and ask what are their procedures.
    I don't have a lot of customers who pay by Paypal because of the outrageous fees they charge.
    BTW I am happy to take payment by direct debit or Paypal; it makes no difference to me as the customer pays the Paypal fees

6. Silverwise

Silverwise New Member

Thanks Steve, its just im on holiday, have money on me or have a credit card. Its all cool, smiles

7. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I didn't think it was too bad, about 2% if I remember. It gets savage when you do the whole deal on eBay & combine the selling fees etc. That's when it really hits home. The direct account email - email trade is the cheapest deal. Circumvent the other middleman !

8. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't make money on Paypal fees. I am slugged 3.4% and that's what I pass on to my customers.

9. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Paypal sucks ass, if I didn't buy crap off flea-bay I would close my account with them....

10. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Sometimes there's no option if you want something nice & that's all the seller offers as a trade.

11. zurnaik

zurnaik Member

3.4% is the cross-border transaction fee (ie payments from outside fo Australia.) For Australian sellers being paid by Austarlian buyers it should be 2.4% + $0.30.

I have looked into it many times and from a payments perspective Paypal is a cheap way to get paid by credit cards if you recieve less than about $40k of credit card payments per year. At that point it is about equal to some of the better deals around on merchant accounts. Banks hate Paypal because it bypasses their expensive merchant account services, although some would argue that you get better service/protection with a full merchant account service. Things get more complicated when you start having instant payment gateways on your online commerce shop, which are again another fee/service you need if you use a merchant account where as with Paypal it is free.

From a business operations perspective Paypal has earned a bad reputation because of their inconsistent handling of eBay disputes, draconian abd long winded policies and treatment of customers. The 'paypal buyer/seller' protection on Ebay is a joke and the bias is always towards the buyer - honest sellers can get screwed over which makes it easier for fraudulent buyers to get away with stuff.

If you use Paypal to receive payments you have to be vigilant to the risks involved. Not only you have the risk of someone using someone elses credit card fraudulently but you have the added fraud of people hacking other peoples Paypal accounts. I have encountered both before and luckily I have either sussed it out and cancelled before hand or was able to recover the goods and only lose ~$15 in chargeback fees.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Also make sure if you're using PayPal for bullion payments, that you've had this approved by PayPal! Buried in their terms and conditions is a requirement for "pre-approval" to receive payments for bullion. Otherwise you're in violation of their conditions and they can freeze your account for 180 days including any money in it.

A lot of eBayers could run afoul of this.