Any ex-pat Aussies living in Singapore

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by rbaggio, Dec 7, 2012.

1. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Considering a move over to Singapore for work. Does anyone have experience on moving from Australia to Singapore .... what's it like living over there? Cost of living? Taxation? etc.

2. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Not that I'm one.. but from hear say:
    - cheap food
    - 10% tax
    - lower avg salary (which works out about the same after tax)
    - super hot & humid!

3. Auspm

Auspm New Member

I wish.

I've heard many positives from that region though and it's a fast growing hub for business, trade and ironically has a less regulated market than most western economies.

My roots in here in Aus, but I wish you all the best if you do go over and stay a while.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sovereignman.com sings the praises of Singapore frequently. The Facebook fellow took his billions there as well.

Assuming there is a place to hide, I think Malaysia may be easier to gain residency if you're not one of the very wealthy.

5. Auspm

Auspm New Member

A place to hide? Or simply recognition that the West is dying and in a generation or two won't figure on the world stage?

It's in debt up to it's eyeballs and to bail themselves out, they're trying to indebt the following generations too.

It's no wonder people are fleeing for 'greener' pastures in the East, the writing is clearly on the wall.

6. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

I have only ever visited for a week at a time but I have always thought very highly of Singapore as a potential place to live.

If you have been offered a job and were to move there, it will be pretty easy for you to begin the proccess of obtaining a Singaporean permanent residency. I feel that having a PR for Singapore would be very useful in the mid to long term given the growth of Asia and Singapores status as a trade and financial hub.

Once my contract is up here, I will be definitely applying for jobs there. I was offered one before I started in Thailand but it wasnt quite what I was after so I had to pass :(

7. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Cost of living is quite high, my friend lives there, rent an average 2 bed appartment S$5000/ month. Its a nice place, transport is brilliant, cabs are cheap, very hot though, may take some getting used to.

8. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I did the other move from Singapore to Australia 20 yrs ago. I still have friends there and went back there recently for a holiday.

Your biggest cost will be rent and getting used to living in a small footprint.
    It is warm and humid which takes a bit of getting used to if you come from Melbourne.

Food / groceries etc are about the same price in Melbourne in the Coles/Woolworth equivalent(Cold Storage). Eating out is slight cheaper for food but more expensive for alcohol.

Otherwise it is a big modern metropolis that is surprising very green(lots of trees) and family friendly. You can get away without speaking any Asian languages. Internet/mobile is well serviced.

There seems to be a small but strong stackers community so no problems with finding someone to buy and sell bullion/coins. It is also the site to a yearly international coin fair.

http://www.sgcoinfair.com/

Which field are you looking to work in?

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would go for it. Things aren't going to get better in Australia, maybe Singapore will fare better?

10. rbaggio

Thanks for the replies so far, and digoxin for the detail.

It would be a move with my current employer (IT), same role. But all of our regional management is in Singapore, so probably good for career progression.

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

RB,
    you will learn extra language: singlish :)

12. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Do Singapore produce much of their own food/electricity/energy or do they buy it cheap from their neighbours?

13. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Apparently steak is very expensive, so if you get a hankering for a T-bone, prepare yourself.

15. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Alcohol is very expensive as well.
    All very Western so as long as you do not mind living in a city in a highrise then it will be good. You can leave the jumpers at home.

My parents went and lived there when i was at uni. Great experience. I didn't take too much notice of the specifics re tax etc but i think it is better than here.
    Food is all imported so it is higher. There is a lot of eating out which is cheap compared to here. The expat comunity was great - hash runs, tennis comps etc.
    If you get the opportunity take it. You can always come back and any negatives can be short lived but i'm sure that you will revel in the opportunity. Travel is easy from that region. Malaysia has some great spots to explore - Malacca, Cameron Highlands and the other less developed half that sits above Indo (can't remember what it's called).

If you have kids, there are international schools and the life experience for them will be fantastic.
    Just do it.

16. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Nias and Mentawai are just on the other side of Sumatra from Singapore.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEN9XARmxIU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPFubuTB5w[/youtube]

17. rbaggio

What about Hong Kong vs Singapore? There is an opening in HK too.

I am guessing HK is much more 'Asian' than Singapore?

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Can you do both? Sing for a few years then honkers?
    Sing is more culturally diverse.

19. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I haven't lived in Hong Kong but been there as a tourist 4-5 times for past decade.

If I was single or a couple with no kids I would go to Hong Kong. I think Singapore is more family friendly.

Things I like about HK -

great food scene(hawker style all the way to multiple world class 3 Michelin stars restaurants)
    currency still pegged to USD so great for shopping
    if you are into high end Hi-Fi / photography you could spend days auditioning great systems especially with some really good gear coming in from China
    closer to China so better access to MCC coins

Things that are less nice about HK -

dirtier, very fast paced, more difficult to converse if you don't understand / speak Cantonese, even more expensive rent compared to Singapore,

To me Hong Kong is edgier and more free style like New York whereas Singapore is like a well run super efficient German city like Munich.

20. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Do it . Get another adventure in the memory bank. If its shit just come back ....simple really

I have to say the heat in asia takes a bit of getting used to but theres always air con not too far away

I was there the other week Hot, pissing rain ,humid pissing rain hot lol Its actually a nice place