Answers to the Obvious - true value of metals

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mmissinglink, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Question: What is the true value of a blob of metal, whether "precious" or not?

Answer: Whatever value you personally attach to it.

2. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Ooooooh Ooooooh Ooooooh ( For those that remember Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter )
    I know the answer to that one...
    The true value is what someone else is willing to pay cold hard cash for.
    Personal story:
    2 days ago, took my scrap to the scrap metal dealer....aluminium and lead are not that great but I got good money for the copper......

3. mmissinglink

Ah yes, Horshak....that awkward soul. :)

I took a bunch of mixed metal several years ago to the scrapyard and apparently the scrapyard guy valued my metal a lot less than I did....or at least initially. Then when I realized all the effort I made to get that scrap together and hall it down, I re-evaluated the value of my metal and I magically valued it at the same low level as the scrapyard guy who gave me spending cash for those clunks and blobs. :lol:

The value of any metal is always subjective. Maybe a 1 oz. clunk of .999 silver is truly worth USD $5 today and for the foreseeable future to some. Only you know what the value of any blob of metal is to you.

4. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

I enjoy visiting the scrap merchants. I see it as cash I never would have had. I like to get enough for the wife and I to go and get some nice coffee and cake and, if I have enough, a bit of lunch.
    Copper is the name of the game though. 2 or 3 car batteries are good too because of the ease of loading. Steel is not worth a cracker.

5. mmissinglink

^ Yes, cash is king.....unless you are living in a country where the currency is basically worthless. The truth is I can't buy any necessities anywhere that I've ever been to with plunks of silver and I'd be kicked out of every business that I know of if I continued to insist that silver is money. "Get out of here with those filthy clunks of silver" the business owner would say. On the other hand, I can take in the most tattered Fed Reserve note to a grocery and I am given service immediately. Long live paper money!! :D

I'm ready for the incoming missiles of hatred now. :cool: Hey, where did those "silver to da moon tomorrow" fools go anyway? They proliferated this forum just a few short years ago. :rolleyes:

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Couldn't you just read your previous thread rather than starting a new one?

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes: sounds like fantastic advice. This is the guy to listen to !! Please make sure you have it in $5 notes or in one of those government backed accounts that have a $250k insurance (don't worry about the $5B limit for each banking institution). Here comes king cash or maybe its missinglink or whatever :D The Au$ has been a fantastic store of wealth over the past 10 years.

[​IMG]

8. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What good is a barrow if you can't show everyone what a clever boy you are by pushing it?

9. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

That's correct. However, in the logical order of things the value they attach to that is first dictated by their need or want for that blob of metal.

10. mmissinglink

^ I agree with that sfstacker. Need / perceived need or want does dictate to a significant degree the value attached.

It's sort of like the relationship of sentiment and supply-demand. There are those who argue that sentiment is everything in terms of prices of physical PM's. Well, that's partly true....partly. Sentiment toward physical PM's is largely dictated by fundamentals like supply-demand dynamics....not the other way around. So sentiment is dictated by other factors.