Annoyance at a dealer's conduct

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hungry_jono, May 4, 2011.

1. hungry_jono

hungry_jono New Member

This is really just a rant on my behalf than anything, so please feel free to ignore, or tell me I am a whinger.

Basically, I submitted an order online to a fairly prominent dealer for some gold and some silver. This particular dealer's website indicated that they were "almost out of stock" on Perth Mint silver (fair enough), but had a separate page for PAMP Swiss Silver, and didn't say anything about their stock (ie, for all intents and purposes it appeared to be fine).

I submitted an order for some PAMP swiss on the basis that they had some, and then paid. I then received an email, saying that they have got my payment, and basically, "by the way, there is a 4-6 week wait on your silver at the moment, it has been secured against a shipment arriving in late May".

I sent them an email back saying that, had I known of this before hand, I would not have submitted the order (which is completely true - I avoided the Perth Mint bars they were selling and ordered the PAMP swiss bar precisely because their site indicated that there was not stock issue (or atleast was silent about it). I'll let you know what happens.

What do you think, I am being a whinger or is this a justified gripe? Do you think it is reasonable to expect that dealers are upfront about their stock levels / ability to deliver before people submit their orders?

2. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Personally, I would expect after the order is made, but before the payment is finalised, that any delays were communicated if not already on their website.

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd like my $ back so I could purchase something else
    I have a simuliar dilemma ,paid for some coins on back order from a rather large dealer ,was told coins would be in by end of last month,called them today ,they haven't arrived yet.
    I just want to hold my silver

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I like it when the dealer delays your order by three days and the spot price plummets:lol:

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

been through this before its a good thread for the new guys & girls I ALWAYS ring before i place an order to see whats in stock or what the wait will be & even that isnt 100% i have ordered 1 brand & been sent another so be prepared for things that you dont expect .A phone call would have saved you the trouble

6. hazy

hazy Active Member

+1
    same thing happened to me... now always at least email to check first.

7. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Ask if there's anything else they don't actually have for sale that they'd like some money for.. :D

But yes, a phone call can save a lot of mucking around, mind you, I have had a situation in the past where I have confirmed all details of an order by phone, and when I went to collect the following day, the dealer offered a "substitute" product. Grrrrr..... :mad:

8. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

Thats why I get my grizzlies from the store 20 min away from me.

But ya, i remember waiting at least 3 weeks from the big places.. bit of a pain.

9. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

In my early days of stacking, having the silver in my hands as soon as possible was very important but nowadays I just pay and don''t care when its available.

10. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I would be annoyed by this too.

11. M85

M85 New Member

Well, I am in the same boat. I don't think they will reply to our emails LOL

But this sort of business conduct shouldn't exists, when you ran out of stock, you either mention it is on back order on the website or you let us know so we can cancel and get the refund.

12. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

just think of it as free storage... i had made a large order with a well known dealer for pAmps and it took 1 month for delivery and this was around spot 29. The owner called and apologised and even waived the postage.

13. 2ds

2ds New Member

Yeah it's a bit crappy but it's a sellers market at the moment and there isn't enough stock in the country to meet demand.

With the volitility of the price the dealers can't hold the stock they need to order it when you want it. If you're not ordering PM stock it will have to come from out of country.

I Don't think for a second that it is cost effective to put AG on a plane, this means it probably needs to come by ship.

Be prepared to wait. Everyone is in the same boat, nothing anyone can do about it, not the dealers, not the consumers.

14. M85

M85 New Member

Well, I have got a phone call from them and its all good now.

THANKS.

15. hungry_jono

hungry_jono New Member

Thanks for the advice renovator and everyone else. I've definitely taken it on board. Seems like the good old fashioned phone call is the way to go in the future!

I really do feel, however, that really we shouldn't be needing to call to check - in the modern age of webpages they should be making it clear on their site :p

Update on this: I received a phone call in response to my whingey email. The dealer apologised, said that the 4-6 wait was really intended for larger orders and shouldn't have been mentioned in response to my small order, and that my order will be sent out :) I thanked them for their service and the clarification.

16. hungry_jono

hungry_jono New Member

Just missed this before I made my last post. I got a phone call too. All good now as well (if we are indeed talking about the same dealer).

Definitely brightened up my mood anyway (probably the sign of a silver addict that I get a mood lift from the anticipation of holding another shiney bar in my hands much earlier than I was lead to expect I would be holding it :D:D)

17. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

If you want/need physical in hand asap i'd suggest you buy from one of the reputable stackers from this forum! :)

18. hungry_jono

hungry_jono New Member

This forum is the first place I look to buy. Unfortunately, not many people willing to part with their pretty silver at today's spot price ;)

19. jparrie

jparrie Member

I'd agree with the comment about making a phone call IF the selling company didn't offer an online trading platform. If they do and they don't have stock then it should be pointed out on the website. I mean, it's not hard is it?

20. 2ds

2ds New Member

ahaha, I'll say what I said last time, I'll sell you a 10oz bar for $500 =) even though it's way above spot I bet you think about it more than once because you know you'll have it in less than 5 days.