An asset that will lose 100% of it's high value unless you read this

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Sultan Pepper, May 18, 2012.

1. Sultan Pepper

Sultan Pepper Member

Your organs I'm talking about, I don't normally do this preachy stuff but a young kid down my way who's doing it tough waiting for some lungs and might die. Got me thinking that I'd never registered to donate my organs when I wipe myself out some day.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/australian-organ-donor-register?utm_id=9

It's piss easy, took me all of about 60 seconds. I figure I'll be dead and although the idea of someone else walking around with my eyes makes me a bit uncomfortable, the idea that I'd keep them to let them get eaten by worms while some poor bastard is unnecessarily blind is pretty stupid.

Cheers

2. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm in - the PM stack isn't included though

3. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep they can take whats left of me that hasn't been pickled by the wine so the livers out but gave up the fags a long time ago so the lungs could be recycled. Just hope no poor bugger gets my eyes or they will be continually be distracted by shinny things. :lol:

(on a serious note it really is one asset that we do need to make a decision about now and tell our families and freinds what we want done with whats left of us when the time comes.)

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

For a second I thought this was a thread about selling a kidney...

Joking aside, I'd love to donate my organs here in Australia but have had enough trouble with giving blood (being an Englishman they won't let me). I figured it was safe to assume if my blood isn't good enough by Aussie standards neither will my organs, even though I'm more than happy to donate either...

As a fella who's partner has had serious heart trouble of late, it makes you think...

RD

6. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thats pretty shyte! I'll take ya English hand me downs :)

Actually ,I'll take any organ I need from whoever and add a thanks of gratude to those selfless buggers who bothered!

RD - your partner can have my heart once Im done with it - quote this SS thread :)

That said - who wants to buy a kiddney? told I've got two but only need one to survive? cool - next hour special,starting at 1oz for Ag for a kidney (warning - have been slightly booooozey with that kidney) and start the bidding!!!

7. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I'd at least ask an oz. Of au you know whjat the street price is for a kidney ? ;)

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Becoming an organ donor is easy; just tick a box on your driving license, or fill in a simple form. You may not know that you waive your rights to informed consent at that stage: doctors don't have to tell your relatives where your organs go, or what they do to your body to extract them. You have few legal rights; you're dead, remember.

That's not too bad, though. I can live with that. But writing for the Wall Street Journal, Dick Teresi raises a more interesting point: the majority of organ donors are victims of head trauma, who end up being ruled dead based on brain-death criteria. And brain-death diagnosis isn't really an exact science:

The exam for brain death is simple. A doctor splashes ice water in your ears (to look for shivering in the eyes), pokes your eyes with a cotton swab and checks for any gag reflex, among other rudimentary tests. It takes less time than a standard eye exam. Finally, in what's called the apnea test, the ventilator is disconnected to see if you can breathe unassisted. If not, you are brain dead. (Some or all of the above tests are repeated hours later for confirmation.)

Here's the weird part. If you fail the apnea test, your respirator is reconnected. You will begin to breathe again, your heart pumping blood, keeping the organs fresh. Doctors like to say that, at this point, the "person" has departed the body. You will now be called a BHC, or beating-heart cadaver.

The problem is, plenty of BHCs still have brain waves. A bigger problem is thatvery, very occasionally BHC's even start breathing again by themselves. Whether they're actually dead or not, well, that's up for debate. It's that uncertainty that many people are, quite rightly, starting to worry about. For a deeper insight, you should read Teresi's article; it's really quite thought-provoking. In the meantime, I'm remaining a donor but hoping for a lack of imminent head trauma.

I think a better solution is to inform your next of kin of your decision, then they have power over what happens/doesn't happen to your body if you suffer head trauma.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have informed my wife of my decision to donate my organs and she has said that isn't going to happen if she is around, she won't give permission.

Anyway, being English as well there is probably not much demand for my organs, though they are probably more desirable than Pikey's.

10. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

only delaying the inevitable guys/gals

no point giving organs, we all die and cease to exist

11. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd like to stay around for my infant children if given the chance though. I'd say that them growing up with a father is plenty of reason.