america the beautiful silver coins? or silver bars?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by janusilver, Mar 10, 2014.

1. janusilver

janusilver New Member

hello silver stackers,

i would like to ask you... which kind of silver products you prefer for investing on silver? coins like koala, panda, maple... etc.. ? america the beautiful coins? or silver bars?

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I prefer a mix of Kook, Lunar, Koala, Panda, ATB and bars. I avoid Maples and Eagles because I personally don't think they should command a premium when nothing really changes about them. The ATB uncirculated and bullion 5 oz. coins are gorgeous. I'm going to attempt to put the entire set together.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^^^ Agree.

4. janusilver

janusilver New Member

for a novice stacker like me, what is ur advice? how to start my stack, what to buy?

5. janusilver

janusilver New Member

i would like some advice from people who already have an stack, what to buy?

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

numiz and semi-numiz
    no bars, rounds, other low premium ag

P.S. I usually buy two, one sell, the other costs almost spot

7. heyimderrick

You have to do what is best for your budget and goals. Buying generic bars will always be the cheapest option and they are going to track the silver price. Kooks, Koalas, Pandas have some collectible premium that will hurt you at first but in the long run they will appreciate more because of the rarity.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I don't think there's a pat answer as to what any individual should start with only because everyone is different. We may not be buying pm products for the same reasons. Some stack blobs (common, non-denom bullion bars) because they think the world's currencies will someday soon collapse...they are preparing themselves for the SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan) scenario they believe is imminent. Others don't believe that will happen at all or certainly not in our lifetime so they buy for differing reasons.

Also depends on where you live, what's your age, do you have or do you plan on having kids, how much do you plan to spend, how would you sell what you bought if you needed to sell, etc, etc, etc. Too many variables to say without knowing a lot more about the person.

Many people here diversify between blobs, bullion coins, and semi-numi coins. Some even buy numi coins and medallions and other precious metal products.

I would suggest that you try to learn as much as you can from a variety of different people including or especially those who are not making the absurd claims such as 'silver to da moon tomorrow' nonsense. These are out-of-touch permabulls who care only to hype metals and make all sorts of disingenuous fantasy claims about this commodity and the products made from them....they are like the worst sort of used car dealer.

There are enough good reasons to buy pm products without these deceitful permabulls spewing their crap. We are in a consolidated pm market and there's no reason to believe (that I have read) that there will be anything resembling a strong bull market in the foreseeable future bar any unexpected major world event.

Take a level headed approach consider and strongly why you want to buy pm products.

9. atlas

atlas Member

There are a lot of stackers on Youtube that you can learn from, but they also have different ideas about what is best. It's best to learn as much as you can and then make your own mind up.

Personally, I buy what are referred to as 'semi numismatic' bullion coins. They are bullion coins that have a limited mintage and although you pay a higher premium when you buy them, they generally appreciate in value. The other thing is that while the value of standard bullion coins or rounds/bars will follow the price of silver, except for large drops, semi-numismatic coins tend to retain their value better.

My favourites are Australian Lunar series coins, Kookaburras, Pandas (although they are making a lot of these now), and Canadian wildlife/birds of prey series. My favourite one this year is the Canadian Peregrin falcon. I think it will be a winner over the next few years. Hard to tell though.

10. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I think if you only buy to turn a huge profit you will likely end up very unhappy with whatever product you buy unless you turn a profit fast. You would do better becoming a dealer or trading futures. If you really like and enjoy what you stack you will be much happier during the time you are holding your stack. Maybe a good start is to buy one or two of each product (bullion coins, semi numi coins, bars, rounds etc.) and see which one(s) you like best. You can always swap out or sell the ones you aren't keen on and get more of what you like.

Me personally I stack for a few different reasons. The best choice for me seems to be bullion coins. I already have a numi collection of medieval coins and I keep that aspect of collecting very separate from stacking. I just found out three of my bullion Britannia coins aren't bullion at all but semi numismatic! In one way that's really cool. I might be slabbing one. On the other hand that has crossed my stack and my collection a little (something I don't want to deal with lol).

Anyway learn from folks here and other forums and make sure you are happy stacking, whatever your reasons.

Cheers,
    Chris

11. TomD

TomD Member

For investing I like the cheapest recognizable silver that I can get in 10 oz and down. But for collecting the Kooks, Lunars, Pandas, ect. About a year and a half ago I bought my first BU ATB's and freaked out they were so nice.

A couple of months ago i spent a while on ebay getting completed sale prices and noticed that prices for a lot of the semi-numi series have stayed fairly constant as silver prices dropped. But I suppose the opposite is true too, they probably won't appreciate as rapidly as spot when/if silver does a big recovery.

[​IMG]
    America the Beautiful series Mt Rushmore rushmore by TomD77, on Flickr

12. heyimderrick

The uncirculated "P" versions with the mint packaging command a significant premium over the BU versions. They also have a different finish and low mintage. You can subscribe now from the U.S. Mint for the 2014 edition at 10% off. Pretty good deal when you see how much they are appreciating in value.