Am I the only one here that LOVES the Canadian Maple?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gigrantor, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ekmchan

ekmchan Member

is there a reason why maples are 5 bucks CAD face value while other 1 oz legal tender coins are only $1? - makes me wonder

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

To give an update on my case / my experience, a week ago the 50 maple leaf 2014's that I ordered arrived (2 tubes). In one tube, that contained a few styrofoam flakes to fill the empty space (probably inserted by the dealer), the upper maple had a few tiny (3 mm?) milk spots.
    So it doesn't look like the new 2014 design changed anything to the milk spot proneness. They do look nice, but I already regret it a tad, since the cleaning can now only be done the chemical way. A cloth won't help on that relief that is all over the coins surface.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I tend to pick up 1 or 2 of various RCM stuff. Both for diversification & collector variety.

Then again, I'm not much of a "stacker," per se.

I like what they did with the radial lines in 2014. Gives it a more visually-appealing "oomph!"

4. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I like the new Canadian bison I picked up more. But then again I've never had a maple in my hand...

5. Pirocco

It was a good idea. If you look at a leaf closely, it also has such pattern (cells) so the idea improved the coins existing design. It's also why I reconsidered purchasing them. But that milk spot proneness, well it's a pain in the ***. It renders any design ugly. It's fixable, for a time, but the involved hassle and risk (due to handling and chemical stuff) is something that one has to take into account, since we buy silver to later on sell it, and people don't like ugly coins. One can only minimalize the hassle by keeping tubes closed, and buy some lose ones in case you wanna take a peek now and then. I should have ordered a couple extra. Maybe at a next purchase.

6. PeterS

PeterS Member

I've seen a decisive majority of posts on here about the poor quality of these Maples. I took a punt and got three and one had a milk spot. As a side issue, is it inevitable that the Canadian mint bird/animal series will come with similar odds on quality?

7. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I really like the Maples minted before 2004. After that, the obverse is not too attractive in my opinion. The older ones don't seem to milk spot nearly as much from what I have seen either.

Jim

8. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

You take your chances with ALL RCM products. I have bird/animal ones some have milk spots some don't. I don't understand how the RCM can get away with this and I have NO RCM products in my personal collection

9. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

We've been over this a million times

NO RCM NUMISMATIC PRODUCTS HAVE MILK SPOTS

10. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Sorry I'm having a rough day typos in sales threads and now I seam to have my numis mixed up with my bullion.
    I was sure that the two milk spotted RCM coins for the Montreal Olympic games featuring the temas hocky players that I saw on Sunday night were numismatics and not bullion.
    If the winner of the auction could set me straight that would be appreciated. :)

AND TO STICK TO THE VEIN OF SHOUTING THE ORIGINAL POST THAT I WAS RESPONDING TOO ASKED ABOUT BIRD/ANIMAL COINS AND I"M LOOKING AT MILK SPOTTED ONES RIGHT NOW! Now I have a headached can we please kep it down. :(

11. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

I hate milk spots too!

http://www.coinweek.com/education/c...s-crying-milk-spotted-american-silver-eagles/

12. PeterS

PeterS Member

Thanks for the feedback! The comment about the mint saying they are intended for metals investors not collectors is particularly telling for me. It would follow they would say that any increase in value due to 'collectability' is nothing to do with them or their intentions. If I decide to get any more I'm thinking it would only be for spot + a modest premium for whatever year and always remember it is an ounce of silver and no more. Not for the first time I find myself saying I went into this to stack silver, NOT become a coin collector and thinking of trains going off rails............!!!

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Milk spots are meant for a really tiny calf. :lol:

14. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

This guy found the cure for milk spots.... :lol: need to watch the whole video though to find out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIl3fhKgmno[/youtube]

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ Very novel solution for milk spots in that video! :)

16. Pirocco

With a revived milkspot subject, there was a Perth Mint case, in which was said that the problem would be examined by metallurgists or so, anything regarding cause found so far?
    My thought so far was/is that silver purity 9999 maple versus 999 others, something that differentiates maples from other regular bullion, could explain this equal-differentiation of milkspot vulnerability.
    A related question, does any1 bother about that 9999 versus 999? I don't. If most people don't, one may wonder why RCM bothered enough to go for that extra 9. In my EU region maples were in 2011 priced mid-ase-philharmoniker. In subsequent years upto present day they gradually moved to the lowest priced one, or at least a shared lowest, with dealers creating lotsa special offers for them, even for latest year ones, so likely no customer sold backs

17. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Every time I see smbdy touching silver coins or rounds with hands it makes me a little bit angry.

18. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I think he did a video, or has at least mentioned a few times, in which he explains how he believes gloves do more harm than clean bare hands.

He's been stacking / collecting for a long time (since the '80s?), but that still doesn't persuade me.

Nitrile or bust!

19. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, I agree it has very little to do how well to store them, some will develop milky spots, but NOT ALL of them.

My Canadian Wildlife (I may have 30-40), about 10-15 of them have milky spots so far. I doubt every single of them will eventually develop milky spots:lol:

20. BigAl

BigAl New Member