Am I an addict?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by rjimlad, Aug 18, 2015.

1. rjimlad

rjimlad Member

Here's the thing. I have a reason to stack and I have a well thought out set of policies for stacking which I think are important given that I am comparatively new to this. Here is my methodology:

I stack semi-numismatics. Whilst the appeal of a stack of shiny bars has a certain appeal, you are forever limited to the spot price where semi-numismatics guarantees the spot and has the potential for collectability. So I have a lot of goats and kookas in all sizes (remember I am new to this). I also bought crocs, WTE, various sharks and a bunch of those Privateers because I thought they might pay on their coolness. I have one or two opportunity buys as well but so far I have stuck to the game plan. I have resisted buying backwards and getting earlier kooks and lunars and have been waiting for monkeys so I can double the stack (they are just awful). The 9999 Kangas will probably go in as well but all in all I am determined to suppress the mad collector that lives in me and just stack on the principles I have outlined.
    But there is a collector in me. So I thought that I would create a little collection that didn't cost a lot of money and would satisfy the need to hunt and gather while I wait for Monkeys. I thought Australian Threepences might be a low cost little sideline so I started gathering them and learning on the way. After a couple of weeks, I am now a Threepence expert and have most of the basics set in UNC or EF+ and find myself being drawn to Florins, Sixpences etc. It's like a drug. I can't stop myself. I now have a 1937 UNC Crown and some Nazi silver. It's all silver of course as it adds to the stack but there is something seriously wrong with me. I can't control myself. I NEED a 1922/21 overstrike more than I need oxygen. I bought a 1936 5 Reichsmark coin because I am insane and it was 90% silver but I could have bought two Kangas for that...or food. What is wrong with me? Does anyone else do this?

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lol I hear you mate

3. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

Hi Mate,

When I walked in this game, I felt in love with everytying which contained silver. I bought a lot of PM lunars (both SI & SII) and also numismatics lunar coins. I even bought some 1966 fifities and 90% Florins just because I saw some people stacked them.

You are not the only crazy person in this game. Anyway, please let me know if you have some spare Nazi coins for sell or swap. I am going to collect one.

4. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Try diversification.
    Investing into falling commodities with no end in near sight to the downward trend of 4 years is foolish.

5. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just wait 'till you come across a nice bar !

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Older coins have the history, the story & the significance that "sterile" modern stuff just doesn't have. :cool:

Of course, in 50 or 100 years, the freshly-minted coins of today will have at least some of that.. Gotta plant that seed for the generations to follow.

But because of what they are, they'll never be able to fully compete against the old stuff -- at least on those levels.

Just be sure to pace yourself, for the sake of your wallet.

Maybe buy a little food every now & then, too.. ;)