Aluminium: Scarcer/rarer than Silver or Gold

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Water&Food, Feb 1, 2012.

1. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Not at all silver just been a follower and sort of picks things up from people with far smarter minds than mine along the way and given a few things a go and so far still alive :D . Wondering if I should ask Gp to delete that reference to the carbon rods they really are dangerous temperamental beasts to heat this way. Ehh at your discretion GP .

2. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm sitting here now reading this thread on a HUGE HUGE stock pile of Bauxite and we are about to mine more. Why? Because there's gold and copper underneath the Bauxite.
    But I am willing to sell some to anyone interested in collecting Bauxite nuggets.

3. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

Hahahahaha Dusty lets do a business flogging bauxite rocks on ebay . Very entrepreneurial of you . Thats half of Aussies land mass sold after that well do the sand eh. :D Classic

4. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I remember reading (but can't find the link again) about Aluminium Ores to run out by year 2045. Leaving us to rely solely on recycling (which there is no doubt plenty of).
    I am curious to know (which I will work out later) how much aluminium is destroyed vs how much is assumed left in un touched reserves and above ground? Would be interesting to know a rough estimate of when the world is most likely to run out of Aluminium (no doubt after a few more Great Depressions yet).

5. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Overdraft3 your first post in this thread was highly informative. That sort of logical and factually supported post (especially from a relevant expert like yourself) is what I really enjoy on Silverstackers and any other forum for that matter. Reading through lots of useless threads to extract nuggets of useful information like that is what makes forums worthwhile. Well done and keep up the good work.

6. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Been stacking crushed aluminium for years. Heaps of chaff bags full of the stuff in the shed. The only problem is it comes
    contaminated with a liquid contaminant which must first be removed. Being somewhat environmentally friendly I break this
    liquid down by passing it through my body. A true martyr to the environmental cause. I like to do my bit so no thanks necessary. :D

7. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Napoleonic period where Aluminum was regarded as a precious metal like the OP says. It was for reasons that the OP mentioned - that pure and native Al was rare. They didn't know about Bauxite and Alumina containing oxidized Aluminum.

I haven't researched it, but I'd venture to say that naturally occurring aluminum is quite valuable to gem an mineral collectors. Natural silver is rare too, have you seen what little natural silver turds fetch?

As for me, back home, I recycled Al. It's only six times the price of steal though at 1/3 the weight, so sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. I'd say the only Al I stack is in the form of easily machined Al like extruded round stock and square/rectangular bars, and billet sheets and plates.

On that note, I'm going to go make an extrusion.

8. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is the Alu minion to Gold ratio?

:/

9. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Bauxite being the primary source of Aluminium, I found an estimated World Bauxite Reserve

Aluminium : Gold Reserve Ratio
    27,000,000,000t : 47,000mt
    = 27,000,000 : 47
    = 574,468 : 1 (Aluminium : Gold) *

Aluminium : Gold Reserve Base Ratio
    38,000,000,000t : 100,000t
    = 38,000,000 : 100
    = 380,000 : 1 (Aluminium : Gold) *

*This does not include Recyclable Reserves or Privately Held Aluminium (such as what the Royal family have in spoons).

Sources: World Gold Reserves and World Bauxite Reserves

10. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Did you know?
    1. One Aluminium (Aluminum) Can to produce consumes the equavalant energy to keep a 100-watt bulb burning for almost four hours or provide enough power to a television for three hours. Bieng one of the most costly metals to work with.[/*]
    2. SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below. Oh, sorry, wrong forum...[/*]
    3. There is no limit to the number of times an aluminum can may be recycled. Making it one of the most recycling friendly metals known to mankind.[/*]
    4. Aluminium is such a reactive metal, you'd think it would rust badly and therefore be useless! However, because pure aluminium reacts very quickly with air or water it gets a thin, almost invisible layer of aluminium oxide on its surface, which then acts as a protective coating from any further rusting. It is Oxygen that gives it a protective layer.[/*]
    5. Aluminium and (Silicon) everyday household Window Glass have very similar Densities. Aluminium with 2700kg/m3 and Glass with 2600Kg/m3.[/*]
    6. You *can* get blood from a stone, but only if contains at least 17% (percent) bauxite.[/*]
    7. You can actually sharpen the blades on a pencil sharpener by wrapping your pencils in aluminum foil before inserting them.[/*]

Never hold your nose and cover your mouth when sneezing, as it can blow out your eyeballs.

Sources:
    Ultimate list of weird and interesting lists on Wikipedia
    http://acswebcontent.acs.org/landmarks/landmarks/al/facts.html
    http://www.topfive.com/arcs/t5050302.shtml
    http://texasrecyclers.net/9-amazing-aluminum-recycling-facts.html
    http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/newposts/5246/topic5246766.shtm
    http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ShayeStorm.shtml
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_density_of_glass
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_density_of_aluminium
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/aluminum.htm....

11. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Looks like my 17ft Ally boat is worth some serious money then!

12. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

Aren't most (floating) boats?

13. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I like this metals series. I might do Titanium and Magnesium unless of course you'd like to, or get around to it first, WTF.

14. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

You can do it. Just try and distort thinking by only delivering evidence in favour of those metals being 'Rarer' (i.e. scarcer) than Gold and Silver. :D
    Let the audience question their stack.

15. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Did you mean tin, or do you stutter? ;)

16. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Please no more chit chat unless you wish to give a testimony about your new found wealth in Aluminium!

17. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

got it

18. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

There is an alloy of aluminium. It's Al 7075 (Al Zn Cu alloy of some sort) commonly called aircraft grade aluminum. The strength is comparable to steel (tensile strength actually 50% higher than mild steel) and in surface to surface wear, the aluminum will wear the steel out faster. Why? - because as we've learned here, aluminum likes to oxidize quickly in oxygen rick environments (most places) and Al2O3 is one of the hardest compounds known - so no wonder, eh.

edit: yes there is a person named, Oxygen Rick.

Oxygen Rick fights Carbon Don in the fight against global warming.

19. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

<Bump>

Been stacking a few V Energy Drink cans lately. Surely must have something rare about it, has radioactive green.

10c (cents) refund for each can (only in South Australia).

Anyway, I could be extremely technical and divulge more into Aluminium isotopes, but that would be effort.
    How about I just do the following:
    26Al t1/2 = 7.17(24)105 a -> 26Mg stable

Magnesium normally fetches 2 x more than Aluminium on the markets

20. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I love the isotopes post. Give us the one for aluminium. I have a few chaff bags of cans. Tell me it has an
    Isotope that's going to turn it all into gold or silver :D