Alibaba Taobao mr Ma statement of fake. Sad

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by andrewlee10, Jun 14, 2016.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Alibaba's Jack Ma: Better-Than-Ever Fakes Worsen Piracy War
    David Ramli
    Davidramli
    Lulu Yilun Chen
    luluyilun
    June 14, 2016 1:03 PM HKT Updated on June 14, 2016 3:09 PM HKT
    Share on FacebookShare on WhatsApp
    1465881683_hina fake goods
    Photographer: ChinaFotoPress/Getty Images
    The improving quality of counterfeits compounds the problem
    Company affirms goal to double GMV to 6 trillion yuan by 2020
    Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. founder Jack Ma said Chinese-made counterfeit goods today have gotten better than the genuine article, complicating the effort to root out fakes on the country's largest online shopping services.
    QUICKTAKE
    Alibaba
    Global brands have long relied on China and other low-cost manufacturing bases to beef up margins. But those same factories have gotten savvier over the years and are now using the Internet -- including Alibaba's platforms -- to sell their own products straight to consumers, Ma told the company's investor conference on Tuesday. Still, Alibaba is the best in the world at fighting the sale of counterfeits, he added.

"The problem is that the fake products today, they make better quality, better prices than the real products, the real names," Ma said in Hangzhou, China. "It's not the fake products that destroy them, it's the new business models."
    "The exact factories, the exact raw materials, but they do not use their names."
    Jack Ma.
    Jack Ma. Photographer: VCG via Getty Images
    Failing to clean up online bazaars like Taobao could alienate merchants and shoppers abroad, particularly at a time when Alibaba is drawing scrutiny from both investors and international brands over its reputation as a haven for knock-offs. Its membership in the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition, a nonprofit global organization that fights counterfeit products and piracy, was suspended in May after questions were raised about conflicts of interest involving the coalition's president. That's after its inclusion in the group irked some members who said the company wasn't going far enough to cull fakes from its marketplaces.
    Right or wrong, Ma's comments on the caliber of counterfeits may not sit well with those trying to tackle an endemic problem that's tarred China's image abroad.
    "It's inappropriate for a person of Jack Ma's status to say something like this," said Cao Lei, director of the China E-Commerce Research Center in Hangzhou. "For some individual cases what he's saying might be true, but it's wrong to generalize the phenomenon."
    Ma wants to get more than half the company's revenue from outside China within a decade and a cooling domestic economy makes the fight against counterfeiters more pressing.
    Alibaba pleaded its case to hundreds of members of the IACC that it has the data, technology and desire to help keep fake brands off its online marketplaces. Its collaboration with Chinese law enforcement in 2015 resulted in the arrest of 300 people, the destruction of 46 places where counterfeits are made and the confiscation of $125 million worth of products, President Michael Evans told the group in May.
    "We would love to work with the branded companies," Ma said, adding that the company had around 2,000 staff working on the problem. "We cannot solve the problem 100 percent because it's fighting against human instinct. But we can solve the problem better than any government, any organizations, any people in the world."
    Alibaba handles more e-commerce than Amazon and eBay combined. It expects to reach 423 million online shoppers around the world this year, mostly through its Tmall.com and Taobao Marketplace sites. It aims to have 2 billion consumers by 2036 and double gross merchandise volume to 6 trillion yuan ($911 billion) by fiscal 2020.
    "Alibaba has a remarkable amount of big data at their disposal and I believe there are many triggers which could help them identify fakes better than they are doing at present," said Mark Tanner, managing director of the China Skinny, a research firm in Shanghai. Those included price variances, reviews, and selling patterns, he said.
    While battling the immediate problem, Ma is also keeping an eye on the longer term. Ma said his goal of reaching 2 billion users would require more success in rural China, which he estimated had 700 million people. While there is merit in calls for expansion in Malaysia, Indonesia and India, Ma said the domestic approach would be more successful because his company understood the local market better.
    And he already has an eye to posterity, telling investors that over 90 percent of key company meetings, decisions and events have been recorded on video to be analyzed by future generations studying Alibaba.

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Well it took me 1 minute to find silver plated 1oz kookaburras on alibaba.com that are obviously fakes
    They don't want to get rid of it - that's how they make their money

I'm lost for words to be honest
    The entire world knows that alibaba is the place to go to for fakes yet they joined the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition !

Closest thing I've seen to that is Commonwealth bank claiming it wanted to be 'the ethical bank' last year

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I would never buy from alibaba for this exact reason. I don't even look there and its not on my radar as a result.
    I think that ebay is bad enough so there is no way I would go to alibaba

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    And I've given up on fleebay

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I totally agree no buy from Alibaba and Toabo. Too many fakes which they claim that try to antifake.

6. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

I just bought some "coins" from Alibaba and was surprised by its high quality silver like finished.

However, you can easily identified them if you compared them with genuine silver coins. But you might be confused if you haven't seen the real one before.

7. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The fakers will have to start adding milk spots to reduce the quality in line with the finish on genuine coins.

8. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

I guess milky spots (AgCl) will only happened on 999 & 9999 silver coins (haven't seen them on bars and 925 silver stuffs). So it might be very hard to get milky spots (AgCl) grew on a very thin silver plated surface.

9. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Minted stuffs, ie highly polish surfaces.

Some Scottsdale stackers bars as well :p

That's why the brit, CSM have changes their finishes.