After your opinions

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dabloodymess, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Good evening fellow stackers, just after your opinion on this little idea I had recently.

I saw how quickly some complete sets of coins sold recently in the trade section, which made me consider building some sets... following on from that I wondered if there would be much of a premium attached to a very well presented set.

The short story is I know someone who is a cabinet maker who can make some brilliant display boxes, and although I haven't set anything in stone (more an idea) they wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Im talking proper joinery work, not a few pieces of pine nail gunned together.

Now the perth mint official box sets definitely attract a premium.My question to you is would you pay a premium for a coin set in a very nice, but unofficial display box/case?

My personal view is leaning towards not many people going for something like that.

I am interested in your ideas.

2. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

Depends really,

If your case is extremely value adding (made the coins cooler, made the owner orgasm) I am sure people will be willing to pay extra.

But if the coins normally comes with their own case, then most people will probably interested in custom case but not willing to pay a premium for it.

3. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

No. I'd rather keep the case or capsule the coins came in.

Having said that though, cases can set off and protect some of the older coins quite well.

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

There is also the option of buying cases seperately from Downies, I've got my 1/25 cases for my Discover Australia Series from there...

Just a thought, though I wouldn't say no to a custom case...

5. Dabloodymess

I see what you are saying, I definitely wouldn't try and re-case coins that originally came in cases... that's counter productive :)

As above I am not really talking about replacing anything... time for an example... :D

Say I have a full set of bullion 1oz silver lunars (S1), in their bullion capsules. From memory they went for 1200 a set just recently on the forum (more like ran out the door)

If those coins were altogether in a nicely made wooden case where each coin (in its capsule) had its own little slot to sit in where it was well presented, would you pay more?

6. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

A nicely constructed wooden case that fits the lunar bullion coins in their capsules would be value adding in my opinion. I think the key would be for it to be not too large as to be cumbersome.

7. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Maybe a small premium, but that probably wouldn't cover costs.

8. Dabloodymess

I agree, that most people would be willing to pay something for it... at least I know I would.

Even if it wasn't full, and just had 12 spare slots waiting for me to fill it myself as the coins are released.

But I guess then it brings in the point raised by Anthony in the post below yours... the perceived benefit/appeal of the case needs to be greater than cost price, or else its not worth the bother.

Yeah I agree, that would be a big factor.

Thanks all for the feedback on my brainstorm session so far, it has been productive. I think at this stage I will pursue it a little further and take the idea to my guy and see what he says.... even if it isnt feasible for re-sale I might end up with on myself :)

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

You might be able to cover your costs of making the case but dont expect too much profit. Also remember timber cases are weighty and therefore add postage expenses to the person buying it.

10. 2 Oz

2 Oz New Member

Have thought about it previously before but only on the basis that I would be doing it myself, not paying someone to do it.

I do agree that it would be a form of value adding but my bet is that most people wouldn't be willing to pay the costs of having them produced. The cost per box, produced by a joiner and then varnished/french polished, will easily run past $100. I couldn't finish one in under two hours and I wouldn't be willing to pay that much.

To get the costs down, you would need to be manufacturing multiples. Get enough interest in a professionally made presentation case for a full series of lunars and it could work.

11. Dabloodymess

The carpenter in question is my little brother ;)

So for me he will do it for a 6 pack of JD and coke + material costs.

But I am starting to see that it is only looking viable if its for myself and not re-sale.

Because if I try and get him to do any more than what I need with such a deal he will just get drunk on my booze then punch me :)

12. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

When you think about it, if someone is offering say the entire Series 1 Lunar collection for sale, 12 coins for $1000 and someone else has the exact same coins but come in a timber box for $1,050 I bet I know which will sell first.

And you are only making a small amount above the coins value less the cost of making it, less the hassle of storing these timber boxes, less the cost of higher weight in the post and it becomes pretty pointless.