Advice Requested on Starting Out With Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by unclebob, Jan 13, 2013.

1. unclebob

unclebob New Member

Greetings. My first post. I'm new to silver, notwithstanding that the actuaries tell me that I only have 23 years to go. Any basic advice on the following would be appreciated.

I have only recently discovered PMs and am slowly accumulating lovely Perth Mint bars of Au(1 oz.) and Ag(1 kg.). I believe that I am doing this for the right reasons. My query concerns the appropriate action to take should one day there be a 'mania' in say, silver. (Admittedly, now that I am involved, this will probably never happen. Sorry folks.). Will it be possible and easy to privately (and discretely) sell such Ag to those mums and dads queuing up outside PM stores. Or will I have to join in a bunfight with Silverstackers et al like yourselves who will be trying to do the same thing? Are 1 kg. bars of Ag too big for (if and) when the time comes? Would 10 oz. bars be more sensible? Decisions, decisions.

2. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1oz Au or 1kg AG does have less liquidity over the smaller bar/coin, but does offer lower premium. I would like to think that if you sell your stack priced sensibly compared to Perth Mint Retail Price, then it would expected to move the bars in reasonable time.

Unless the whole market is not buying anything...ie we hit depression big time.

If you are concern about liquidity, then diversify :D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I believe an ounce of gold and a kilo of silver will always move reasonably fast.

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think when its a bit scarce a bunfight will always be on the cards but hopefully the price theyre paying will be worth all the kicking & screaming :).

Ive heard the liquidity thing before & it makes sense if you want lots of small transactions . Personally i would like very few transactions & would just take it to a dealer & be done with it .

5. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I have had similar questions myself regarding the offloading of silver when the time comes. I try to keep in mind what happened during the last silver spike in so much as the greatest gains were made over a very short space in time and if you have significant amounts of silver to dispose of then you must have a plan.
    Things to consider.....
    - bars, rounds and bullion coins will be easier and quicker to dump than more exotic silver
    - have a dealer/dealers in mind that purchase silver in bulk at a reasonable price
    - you will never sell your silver at its peak. Be prepared to take profit on the rise.
    - If silver goes 6 fold in price then a 1kg bar will be about $6000 a pop. Ask yourself if you would deposit $6000 into someones account and wait for them to post a bar. I think face to face will be safer but a lot more time consuming. If you don't like the thought of this then a dealer is the only other option.

Well that's a start and I am sure others will have thoughts as well. Just keep in mind that everything cycles and silver will be no different. There is a ceiling on the price and the impossible task is to predict it. If you triple or quadruple your money then that alone is a good thing.

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I really don't think the dollar amount matters. If they keep depreciating the dollar, and they will, then it has nowhere to go but down. There will come a time when you wont want dollars back when you give up your silver..try thinking of your wealth in ounces or kg instead of funny money :)

7. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

I think it is wrong to think that the world economy is going to collapse and die and trade will be impossible without gold and silver. The Chinese and Indians ( making up more than a third of the world ) have been in commerce for thousands of years and are no fools when it comes to currencies and economies. There will always be an economy, it is only the major players that change. Australia will be in a good position to ride on the coat tails of the countries that will not be included in the list of those in deep recession. In U.S. dollar terms, gold and silver have a long way to go but in Aus. dollars the gains might only be half as much. Our economy is not like that of the Europeans or the Americans and as such I think it is not realistic to think our dollars are going to zero.
    A time will come to trade silver for something like real estate or other tangible items. Everything has its day in the sun.