About to Bank my AA notes

Discussion in 'Banknotes' started by Andy28, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

I know a few have suggested it is not worth the time and effort, but thought I would just check one last time. I have a number of current $100 notes of AA prefix from AA96 to AA13. Should I just bank them? I don't think there any special numbers other than a few sequentials. Are they worth anything over face?

2. MM_Man

MM_Man New Member

Hi Andy28,

If your AA $100 notes are in perfect condition, some of them SHOULD be worth more than face. Ebay isn't ind but you should at least get above $100 for many of them... my friendly Greg McDonald guide, for instance, lists the AA96 $100 at $200 in EF condition... which would be, theoretically speaking circulated shape, without creases...

Of course, the ebay route takes time as seemingly mentioned by others....

3. justin536

justin536 Member

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Holdfast does that site have values?

6. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Where would I go other than ebay? For example if I was happy getting $120 for them, I would pretty much break even on ebay if I sold them at that price.

7. MM_Man

MM_Man New Member

There are a handful of coin & note dealers in Sydney that you can go to. But be careful, as they need to add a profit on top of what they pay you, you will need to be aware of what you have and its value... Otherwise, they'll offer little above face.

Sorry, I feel like I'm creating more work for you! :-(

It MAY be worth trying an Auction house too - Nobles or Downies should be OK to ensure you get above face for these collectable prefixes....

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm not sure, I think it might be just information regarding various notes and the years they were issued.

If you are looking for prices, consider using the "sold" function on ebay for similar prices to your notes.

Having said that, I think you could make more money from your notes (Long-term) by purchasing a few ounces of silver. As you know the Australian dollar is continuing to fall against the USD so the AUD's international purchasing power or its ability to buy precious metal is being eroded away each week.

By purchasing precious metal, you "may" hedge your losses.

Don't forget that libraries hold coin and banknote catalogues for a very rough guesstimation for your notes.

9. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

You are definitely right about the Silver thing. I do have some PMs and I am happy when its value rises, however as I am saving for a trip to the US, I need that dirty fiat, which as you say, keeps dropping in Value! I should probably just take them to the foreign exchange instead of the bank.