Abbott & Costello : financial masterminds, everyone bow down?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by winkstrap, May 1, 2013.

1. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My mother used to say "Don't vote, it only encourages them"
    Something in that for everyone... :cool:

2. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Government is a two headed monster. Liberal or labour,
    It's just which head you prefer to feed.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

winkstrap,

"### costello is a complete joke
    someone please tell me to whom did he sell 2/3 rds of our gold to in 1 day?
    was costello just purely an incompetent idiot to sell at $300 an ounce or was it a dodgy deal that he signed off on where he received lots of money under the table???"

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially when you are trying to score petty little political points, but a couple of reminders. The RBA was not the only Central Bank flogging off their gold at that time, far from it. And I think the recommendation may have come from the RBA Governor, not from the Treasurer, though I do not know that for certain. And i do wonder at the snide accusation of corruption by the Treasurer at the time, can you give me a reference, or some proof or are you just fabricating your claim/question?

Remember too what awaits KOMRADE juLIAR gillard in the near future, and remember also all the ex kiddy fiddler ALP members now in gaol or disgraced in retirement.

And if we are dredging up old commercial decisions I would suggest that the sale price of the CBA was a GIFT, as was pointed out in the media at the time of KOMRADE paul keating's decision to flog it off.

Like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

OC

4. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

Thats the opposite of communism privatising state assets. I think Paul Keating is the most right wing labor leader I can ever recall.

5. argentum_tumulus

argentum_tumulus New Member

I dream of politicians once again being people who made their money outside of politics first (and blood sucking industries), that would be financial credentials. At least I don't wish for it.

6. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Talking of Malcolm Turnbull, he was on TV totally destroying Labor health minister Tanya Plibersek this morning. It was almost funny, how easilly he tore down her arguments without interrupting her (like she interrupted him).

7. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

When you've got governments that actively encourage people to speculate in the property market, I don't think you can call these people either fiscally smart or responsible.

You are encouraging people to take on huge amounts of leverage in a very illiquid asset. It's a dangerous, terrible idea. And the fact that we "got lucky" and the debts were able to increase just tells us that the government had looked at the overall debt figures beforehand and realised that there was a lot of room for the growth of debt and thus house prices.

Then of course, when it looks like things might be going wrong, there is never any warning from the government to the general populace. Doesn't happen in any country and what do you know, Australia isn't different. No warning about how investing in an asset in the hopes of capital gains is pure speculation and that no asset in the entire history of the world goes up forever.

So can we kill the whole meme of the Liberal Party being good economic managers now?

And it's not whether one party has good financial people or people with experience in business. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how smart or financially knowledgeable you are, you can't run the financial affairs of 20 million people.

Anyone who calls themselves the treasurer of Australia is fundamentally a fraud. And if they have any intelligence at all, they know it. I guess that's why they lie all the time.

8. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Really can't believe some Uni wanna be wanker got so much attention, 2 post's and look at the effect of a little dog whistle. If the topic was gold or silver it would of been flagged as spam or deleted already.
    Getup test anyone ?

9. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're a bit more pinko than I am (but not all of the questions have been put well) :lol:

[​IMG]

10. madcowinc

madcowinc Member