A question whose answer requires experience

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by Pirocco, May 26, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

experience? hmm, not familiar with aliexpress then? :lol:

scam, cheap Chinese shit.

3. Pirocco

No, I'm not familiar with aliexpress.
    Basically I saw that jewelry for sale, looked up the used keywords, and found it there.
    I want to make the point that I don't treat Chinese stuff in general as crap/fake.
    Can I interprete your answer as that it's not sterling silver?
    The thing is, this is a wholeseller, and alot shops / etc buy quantities there, and resell them. If it's not sterling but uses the word nevertheless, then those all cheat people. So I'd like to be sure. It's not because it's from China that it has to be scam/fake, no?
    So, are you sure, and can you give the basis you judge on?

4. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I have bought many items of Ali Express, bags shoes ect have all been great. However the one time I purchased sterling silver jewelry it was definatley fake. They have some great bargins however i would stay away from the jewelry section. (and shipping always takes a long time.)

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

why not? it is.
    common sense count as basis? it should.

Chinese seller, cheap price, aliexpress.

I guarantee you it will be fake, just like 99% of the crap on that site.
    email the seller, they'll sweet talk you under the alias of a pretty little Asian girl and tell you everything you want to hear. Just be aware that it's actually a guy calling you darling when they're trying to close a deal though.

6. Pirocco

I wasn't visiting aliexpress to buy. Basically, I saw a nice looking new appearing ring (and also bracelet) on an auction site, at a reasonable (not a cheapskate) price (assuming it's sterling silver). But I tend to look things up, and here surely since the seller didn't say much about it (where bought, original price) and also wasn't very clear since he gave up as material plated while in the text he said sterling.
    After I noted that contradiction he removed 'sterling', and someone bid 1/3 of his desired price. He added also another bracelet, different, but it's like same 'class'.
    So I decided to skip it. It's very likely somebody that buys lots of this stuff at aliexpress price, to then try to sell them further at a doubled or tripled price.
    I intended this for decoration purposes, not for valuable stuff/silver, and if the jewelry had have a price according to that, I'd have bought. But this looks indeed like scamming people.

Another question, aside of 'fake', you (The Fisher King) say you didnt notice it was bogus, does that mean that the jewelry, despite lacking the metal it claimed to have, was made well? For ex, it happens alot that jewelry lost stones or breaks easily, is that the case with this scam too?