800 + Fifty cent peices , none with normal face.

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My bro inlaw has caught my addiction but has been collecting Fifty cent pieces for the last ten-fifteen odd years , so maybe I caught it from him? He has this big ass old powdered milk tin he has been chucking these 50 cent pieces into since he started working.

None of them have the normal 50 cent face on them and there are also a heap of 20's with all sorts of non normal faces...Obverse is that the word?

He loves them and working in hospitality has had the opportunity to scour the float each day for years to add to his collection , but now he wants to flip them all for Silver .999.

There has to be at least 18-20 kg of these coins , what would you suggest as the best way of making the most of them in a shortish amount of time? He has at a guess every 50 cent piece minted since the 1970's with many many multiples of everything.

I suggested by the kg on ebay, Thoughts?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Dig out the coins with a collectable premium to ebay, bank the rest and get muggle money.

That would be my guess on the best course of action.

The 50c coin simply doesn't have enough weight in copper and nickle to be an intrinsicly valued commodity without a very sharp rise in the base metal (hence why I only stack 5, 10 and 20).

So apart from the collectables, you're better off just sticking the rest in the bank and buying the 999 with that.

3. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The best ones to sell would be the 2001 Centanery of Federation 20c & 50c.

Take the rest to a dealer & swap for 999%.

You might want to take them to a bank 1st, Do not think a dealer would like THAT many 50c coins.

4. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Strangely enough it is the less common coat of arms varieties that are more highly sought after.

5. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

There are a few fifty cent coins that a worth looking at selling on ebay. (1) 1991 rams head (2) 2000 millenium (as there are two different die types) (3) 2001 federation . The twenty cent would be the federation.the others , unless they are nearly unc i would take to the bank .

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

* You can visit a local library, grab a Krause Catalog ( or a Rennix ! ) and note down the mintages of all the different 50 Cent pieces ( to gauge scarcity and thereby come up with a premium over face value ), once
    done this write it on a piece of paper.

* Compare prices, think about of how to sell the coins ( one by one, set of each type, etc ) and
    consider costs of selling ).

Or offer some them here up for sale.

Id make some offers on smaller parcels.
    :)

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Go and buy an older copy of "Australian Coin and Banknotes" values by Greg McDonald 2009 or 2010 should get pretty cheap $10 -$25, it gives you a lot of information. Mintage etc... Like any of these coins, that is a key value indicator. Then condition and so on.

Good Luck

8. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Is it you and me slowly slowly 'sharking' around numismatics again ?

:D

9. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I saw a rams head and the centenary of federation 50c at work yesterday and was like wow never seen them before so I swapped over some money for them.
    Yay :p

10. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Which ones? I work at safeway and have free time + access to lots of coins :p

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

1977 and 1988 Coat of Arms - Very Rare potential Error

Otherwise any top condition 70's and keep an eye out for 1993 Coat of Arms Rare. If you find extras of these col0016 you owe me ok :)

Too many to list rarities, you have the millennium 50c coin with an incused design which is rarer than that the other etc...

The 50c has a huge variety of releases and one group of items that are too big and large for me to put my effort into. A mate likes the 50c my personal favourites are the 5c pieces as it was the first series I collected the lot :) even had to buy some uncirculated sets just to fill in the blanks.

Go and buy a coin album and start laying out what you have, you may even enjoy the act of creating a collection. With the extras sell them and you will have a nice collection paid for and with some history and value as well hopefully.

It will never be cheaper to start a collection of coins than when it is in circulation and you are getting pocket change. Once we change our currency system again the prices will go up.

12. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Ok you've talked me into it :)
    I've written the years on my arm lol.

13. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

20c are my favourite. Until I get everything I want there I'm not planning to move to 50c pieces.