5% off Groceries/Petrol etc (QLD and SA only)

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hiho, Aug 6, 2012.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

In my tireless pursuit of bargains, If you are an RACQ (QLD) member you can purchase wishcards online at 5% off, http://www.racq.com.au/membership/members_save/wish_gift_cards they can be used at woolies/bigw/bws/dicksmith etc (Warning you need a credit card and would need to pay the cost within your inetrest free period to make this worth while) We simply pay our shopping money onto our credit card in advance.

If you are an RAA (SA) member you can purchase in store at any RAA branch, same deal applies.

Additionally if you use your wishcard at Caltex/Woolies servo you can get a further $.04 off per litre if you are an everdayrewards card holder and shop at woolies. http://everydayrewards.com.au/. So if you fuelled up @$1.50 you would now be $1.46 -5% = $138.7

Compounding the effect we use a Everyday Rewards Mastercard to purchase the wishcards so 500 points for $500 card. Then when we shop we use the wishcard get 5% off then swipe the everyday rewards card to get more points. All of which gets credited to out Qantas Frequent Flyer account.

Regardless of your motivation saving 5% on groceries and petrol alone over one year would equal a lot of extra ounces in your stack.

edit. another thought it may soon be more profitable to hold wishcards than keep your money in the bank ;)

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I know it is costing me a little extra cash but i try to avoid giving my money for groceries/fuel/alcohol etc to coles/woolies. They are reducing my choices and the competition and i'd be willing to bet that prices will rise when they have dominated - at least their profit margin bit not the bit they pay to the farmers.

It is also annoying knowing that produce grown in my area gets taken past my gate to the distributors only to come back past my gate to my local shop.

I like this information so thanks hiho, but i'd rather give my money to the farmer directly otherwise to the greengrocer, butcher, newsagent and their families.

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

fair call NM, even if you spent it on fuel only the savings would be worth it.