4oz silver or 40KG brass??

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Madhatter, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Madhatter

Madhatter New Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place as i know Brass is not a Precious metal! but i may soon have the option to acquire some.

As someone who is unemployed my stack grows at a snail pace level lol, and sits at about 1KG of silver spread between jewellery and junk coins that i collected since december last year - and about 10kg of copper coins i have seperated from my change (that took alot longer!), every bit i get takes me time and effort from trading other goods (garage sales, carboot sales ect) and until i find a job this is how it will stay..But i buy what i can afford.

So i have about 100 saved for PMs right now and was going to keep saving for a 10 roll of Canadian maples, but a friend of mine is about to scrap 40KG of brass plates. that stack well and dont take up much space for the weight.

So for the price of 4oz of silver i could have 40kg of brass..I understand brass isn't a PM and never will be, i just thought i would get some second opinions on the matter as i see they do acctualy make brass and copper bullion! (although it seems some kind of joke really). I should also mention i would be holding onto it very long term.

Any opinions very welcome:)

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4oz of silver is easier to trade than 40kg of brass. Also easier to stack and transport but most of all is fungible. We all know the value of 4oz of silver. Whenever you need to sell brass it will require investigation by the other party.

3. Madhatter

Madhatter New Member

Yep that's a good point, To be honest i would probably end up lugging it down the scrapyard myself in years time or something so it would be a set price and they would know what to pay for it, what interested me the most is its under spot i can buy it for where as silver is always quite a bit over here in the UK. But the money tied up in it would be better invested where the potential gains on it are better.

I may just grab 10KG of it and still have most my money left lol.

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I dunno about that sammy any local scrap metal merchant will buy it in the blink of an eye .Which is where you will most likely be selling it

It might be worthwhile looking at a chart with brass prices if there is one

5. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess any monkey too would have a good idea of price.

7. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Well going by the price on here, brass goes for roughly $5.25 a kg.... that makes 40kg of brass worth in the region of $200.

with silver at $27.78 per ounce this very second, that means you are paying just over $100 for stuff that could be worth $200.

If you can find a scarp yard that will take it off your hands, then swap your 4oz for the brass, sell it immediately and theh ngo buy your ounces back + some.

I only suggest this because you say yourself you are low income and do anything to increase your stack... I wouldnt personally bother with such a run around for a small gain.

8. XB

Yep - that's what I'd be looking at - asking first up from a scrap dealer what you could get for it and if there's a profit in it, buy, flip and then buy the silver.

9. renovator

? ? ? ...... english ? :lol:

10. XB

@ renovator -- brass + monkey = bad pun + ;) :rolleyes: :D

11. renovator

Im gettin a bit slow in me old age :p: