$275m to GM

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Mar 22, 2012.

1. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Too obvious of a realistic solution. Back in your box you free thinking individual.

I'm no longer on the electoral role! :D

2. jackbrown

jackbrown New Member

Renovator is just hoping that some of that money will work its was down to that other useless asset class of housing that he is encumbered with. Bloated housing prices and bloated rents are dependent on jobs and incomes and anything that threatens jobs and income is a threat to housing profits.

You must always take any arguement in light of the motivations behind it.

3. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Well jack once again you have posted a load of assumptions . I dont owe a penny & dont need handouts .

My motivations are having the commonsense to know when to pull the pin & when not to. Sometimes you need to spend money to preserve jobs for the greater good of the country. I'l happily give my $10 share of my taxes to keep people in a job & some home based manufacturing . Its a small price to pay .

People like you would ruin our country in a blink if you had a chance because your shortsitedness & hatred of the system would bring poverty to many .
    Try looking past next week when you think its a good thing to put thousands out of work

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lucky the same government introduced the carbon tax too. I can see that helping the situation with manufacturing jobs. Good to see thay are looking past next week. :/

Maybe they can use carbon tax revenue to subsidise overpriced, petrol guzzling Australian built V6 and V8 cars that nobody wants anymore?

6. renovator

Were not talking about carbon tax were talking about the handout to GM . Why does the carbon tax always appear in any thread . Its got fa to do with the handout

7. wrcmad

Because it so easily substantiates the current government's contradictions and flawed policies, such as that discussed above. Such is a watermelon govt - carbon tax for Bob Brown, and GM bailout for Paul Howes.

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

I don't know why anyone would be worried; holdens are as safe as banks.

9. wrcmad

Yep, safe as banks - and it seems GM has a lot more in common with banks, especially European banks.

The taxpayer has already tossed a monumental $12 billion at local car manufacturing in the past decade, then there is another $500 million already "budgeted into the foreseeable future", there's $54 million we just spent to 'save' the Falcon that nobody wants, and the $275 million subsidized welfare package for Holden.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...andouts-attacked/story-fn59niix-1226256702246

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting that the only companies that they give bailouts to are those that employ 100% union workers. I have never seen them bail out ANY business in trouble that is non-union. So in the end it is Labor giving taxpayer funds to unions again. Same old story of corruption. They aren't doing it for any other reason than to prevent the auto workers union losing membership numbers due to unemployment.

11. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Isn't the issue not that they want to sustain the existing jobs with our existing taxes, but that they are making financial commitments to these globalist entities that require them to increase their tax take.

It's not even a loan, it's a gift that requires them to borrow more money and then increase taxes to meet the repayments.

Laying aside ones favourite punching bag, be it co2 tax, unions, etc., this is just collusion between goverment and business to steal more money from taxpayers in the future. More unfunded debt gives increased taxes, less freedom and fewer and poorer public services.

Swan is preparing everyone for Austerity Oz Style and Gillard is running around spewing money to corporatists seizing the opportunity to extort money in a politically charged environment. We get service cuts, public service layoffs and tax increases, GM gets $274M.

There is no rational justification or coherent policy, it's just more of Gillard's brand of political expedience.

12. renovator

Imo no matter who was in power they would do the same thing .
    Its easy to say labor are helping their mates but anyone in power would save the jobs & manufacturing industry if they care one bit about the country

13. jackbrown

jackbrown New Member

Thousands of jobs lost? Get off your high horse renovator, tens of thousands of jobs have been lost in the construction industry alone over the past couple of years. It is this philosophy of saving your precious system that has brought all this disslocation in the first place. Saving those jobs is pointless since the company is obviously a lose lose, it has been on government welfare for decades now via fleet sales. I don't hate the system, I use it to my advantage but I don't harbour any illusions that it is sustainable in the long run. A quick look at the US. tells me that. They are our role model if you hadn't noticed.

14. renovator

Are you following me around ? I thought i could smell something :lol:

15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Edited.

16. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I reckon this kind of thing could with the recent housing data have a considerable knock-on effect into the housing mkt y'know...

17. wrcmad

18. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

But reno, time moves on, technology moves on. Manufacturing jobs have been disappearing for a long time and the trend is set to intensify. Have you seen 3D printing?

Surely the money would be better used to help the laid off workers re-skill? This whole thing about desperately trying to save dying industries just seems to me to be throwing money down a black hole and ultimately making Australia less competitive as we have more and more people who can essentially do only useless things leading to more of a skills shortage which leads to more and more of need to get skilled people from overseas.

Good job we've got all those holes in the ground...

19. renovator

Yeah i agree but until we have established other industries to place those people its a disaster. Whats the point in reskilling when there is no jobs for them.

I would be happy to see them start our own alternative energy industry. Im afraid the same thing would happen though .It would only be the next on the handout list . Lets face it we cant compete with china or indonesia which is the next place to watch for competition so our own success as a nation has basically made us uncompetitive.

We cant have everything .Do you want high wages & good standard of living or do you want to be competitive with third world countries because the way i see it we cant have both

20. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

OK, I'll concede that. Bad decisions and bad ideology over a long period of time have put us in an intractable position where decisions that don't make any economic sense seem to be the only viable ones available.

I wonder how long they will be able to sustain it though. It may well be the case that in the long run they have to let it go anyway and the workers will be out of a job just a few years later. I guess the smart ones will see the writing on the wall and use the time they have although most people seem to just close their eyes to reality.