2018 Perth Mint declared mintages WOW !!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverman99, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint have updated their website with the 2018 declared mintages dated 20 March 2019

What a surprise when I read that my favourite bird the 1oz 2018 Kookaburra had a declared mintage of only 243,740

Well I suppose I'm not really surprised given the new bullion coins they have flooded the market with since 2017 . Maybe now they will go back to a maximum mintage of 300,000 following this result

Also of note the the 2018 1oz Koala had a declared mintage of 166,434

Maybe both these silver coins are doomed or a real collectors item

Rod and jultorsk like this.
  2. Silverdale

Silverdale Active Member

Doomed lol

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Here are the links for you to see mintages. The market is shrinking (people leaving discouraged by the price movement, crypto’s, other hobbies) and yet the Mint’s continue to print...oops, mint this stuff like water. 25,000 and 50,000 is the new normal and expected mintage. I know I’d rather have a roll of the swans at 23.00 verses the kooks at 20.00

https://www.perthmint.com/investment-bullion-bars-and-coins-mintages.aspx

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They just don't get the hype of the other releases like the Lunar offerings etc.

I didn't get any but maybe I will pick some up in a few year's time when they decide to remint them!

5. barsenault

Um, once the declared mintage is reached they can remint...lol. You need to do some more research.

6. Jislizard

You must have missed all the fun in 2012!

Perth Mint went back and looked at all the undersold mintage limits, and reminted all the old Kookaburras that hadn't reached their limit.

You could buy a brand new reminted 1992 dated coin for about $35, way cheaper than the secondary market was selling the original 20 year old coin for https://gold-forum.kitco.com/archive/index.php/t-103324.html

Due to the backlash from collectors they changed their policy and promised not to do it again.

https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?threads/perth-mint-mintage-policy.33294/

ZaidaBoBaida likes this.
  7. barsenault

Oh, I was around, and benefited from that crazy move from the Perth mint. Now I think it’s like set into stone (law), that they can’t do it once the declared amount is made...now, we know govt. lie all the time, but I believe this one is etched in stone.

Jislizard likes this.
  8. Jislizard

Yeah, I picked up 90% of my Kooks then as well, I wasn't that interested in the series but opportunities like that don't come up very often, though it was a kick in the teeth for people who were heavily invested in them at the time.

I can't see them reversing the rules but they are slippery, as soon as the 2012 Lunar Dragon 1oz sold out of their 300,000 mintage the Perth Mint just stuck a privy mark on them and flogged another 200,000. They are in it to make money but hopefully they have realised that you don't make money by annoying your customers.

9. barsenault

wow, did they really? another 200k? that's just nuts. thems were the good ole days where things were popping left and right...I think they dragons sold out and people were paying like 80 or higher for those bad boys. I recently picked up a roll of 20 for like 24.00. Lol. Gainesville coins (a few months ago)...just nuts. Now the market is dead. Not many interested in silver or gold any more...their tired of the pumptarts talking about 'to the moon, here we come.' they've moved on to cryptos and other stuff...I mean a mintage of 25k - 50k for a few bucks more than a kook (dragons, swans, birds of paradise)...those would have been sold out in minutes...now they can't give them away. simply crazy. I don't think the swans will do that well either. Oh, they may give the appearances they're doing great...but, I'm doubtful. Lol.

10. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe they should start a silver kook crypto? 1 kookto backed by 1 oz of actual silver bird, 1 for 1. People are going to start bidding it up until maybe 1 kookto sells for $100. It will be much more profitable than selling real coins because you’re bounded by real pricing.

After the kookto rises to $100, pm can start selling 0.1 kookto. Then 0.01 kookto when the price rises to $1000, all the way to 0.000001 kookto. Lol

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  11. Rod

Rod Member

Yes I agree the mintage figures are getting silly now All I can say is the Perth Mint is still the one and only mint that supplies excellent Silver/Gold coins with brilliant designs. But for goodness sake don`t kill the goose that laid the golden egg. In my case a Kookaburra fanatic I only hope the mintage will return to 300.000 and that will be the limit. I know that we in the uk might have a problem with supply but is`nt that the fun of collecting them .