2017 Decay Washington Cathedral - Gargoyles & Grotesques - High Relief Silver Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, May 27, 2017.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

On YouTube, I just found a couple of videos on this brand new coin today.

I really dig this coin's design (snakes slithering through eyeballs...pretty darn cool!) so I started searching dealers to get more info and pricing and I figured I'd share what I found.

First of all, here's one of the videos (it's a video from a very well known stacker but I am not affiliated at all with this stacker nor the dealer:

Here are some pics too (the antiqued is nicer in my view, and it's considerably lower priced): [​IMG]

the proof and antiqued have the same design obverse and reverse...the proof has much lower mintage:
    [​IMG]

Comes with presentation box and COA:

[​IMG]

The coins are being noted as Chad 2017 "Decay - Washington Cathedral" Gargoyles & Grotesques series. It's a 1000 Francs face high relief value silver coin that comes in the two finishes.

This coin is the first in the series.

The coins are individually numbered on the coin itself and comes with matching COA.

Decay is one of 112 gargoyles that adorn the National Cathedral and was installed in the 1960s. Decay is widely considered the ‘scariest’ gargoyle on the Cathedral. If you ask me, it's a creepy, frightening looking gargoyle:

[​IMG]

I found a link to the actual antique version of this coin here: https://firstcoincompany.com/S/repu...oz?filter_tag=GGSERIES&sort=p.price&order=ASC

My coin want list grows yet again.

2. kiwisilver

kiwisilver New Member

There are also a couple of You Tube videos about the coin.

mmissinglink likes this.
  3. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

We (IBEXCoins) are the actual producer of this coin series. I am not affiliated with these Youtube posters but they are great videos for the coins. A little background. This series has been in the works for nearly nine months so its nice to see it finally come to fruition. #2 in the series is already scheduled for sculpt in June and is expected to be ready by this fall. #2 will actually be a Grotesque as found in Europe, quite famous we think. We are researching for #3 already and hope to have something from Australia or Asia - depends on actual gargoyles we can find that lend themselves well to the project.

I'll post updates on my blog spot here, http://www.bullionstop.com/blog/ but feel to drop a message here if you have any questions about the coin or the series.
    IBEXCoins USA

mmissinglink likes this.
  4. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

Here is the sculpt for Decay, the first Gargoyle in the series. Done by one of the better sculpters in the USA, pricey though.

Coins started shipping to dealers last week, available for delivery soon.

[​IMG]

Sully likes this.
  5. natsmezz

natsmezz Member