2016 US Mint High Relief Silver American Liberty medal coming

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

2. mmissinglink

I've been calling the US Mint since a few minutes past 12 noon today.....all I get is a busy signal....tried dozens of times. I've NEVER gotten a busy signal when calling the US Mint.

The reason I'm calling the U Mint is because not more than about 2 minutes or so after this silver medal set went up for sale, the respective US Mint web page is indicating that this medal set is UNAVAILABLE. That typically means the item is SOLD OUT.

I understand the mintage is low, only 12,500 max, but I was on their site literally within a couple of minutes past noon when the medal officially went on sale!

Anyone else running into this situation trying to order this medal same set?

3. mmissinglink

After about 1 1/2 hours of repeatedly calling the US Mint order line and only getting a busy tone, I finally got through. I was immediately greeted with a recording that states that if the caller is calling about the 2016 US Mint High Relief Silver American Liberty medal that the outgoing message is a notification that the medal is no longer available for purchase at this time.

It looks like this silver medal set became unavailable (a.k.a. SOLD OUT) in a matter of a few minutes....wow and damn it!

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Did you see the prices on eBay? Criminal!

5. mmissinglink

I didn't even think to check eBay yet....they only just went on sale this afternoon direct from the US Mint.

6. barsenault

450 and higher for the set of 4. If it is truly a mintage of 12500
    Per coin then they should hold their value. If they change the mintage then not. I look at these like I do a Chinese medal of 2 oz. 222.00 is not crazy high, but not a steal either. 34.00 was a steal.
    I was in a meeting and lost the opp. I thought I'd be done before these went on sale. Sigh.

7. mmissinglink

Okay, I just went to eBay to check out prices....it's insane! I assumed that there wouldn't be all that much interest in a medal because I hardly ever see anyone in coin and stacker forums talk about medals - in this forum it's generally a tiny handful of people discussing Chinese medals....not much about medals from other countries, not even much at all about US medals.

And now all of a sudden this silver medal sells out in minutes....and I couldn't get through on the phone to place an order.

This seems to be the hottest auction for 2 sets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONFIRMED-S...381594?hash=item21158b745a:g:adAAAOSwU-pXvIA1

That's already nearly a 200% markup from the US Mint price.....and that's one of the lowest auction prices for this brand new medal....ouch!

I now wonder if the gold version coin which sold out at the US Mint earlier this summer is going to get a bump in sales in the after market because of the significant interest in the silver medal of the same design.

8. barsenault

9. barsenault

Wow. These continue to climb, climb, climb. A set of 4 is up to 700? Not bad...a $136.00 investment into 700.00. Nice. 12500 mintage...I hope they mint another 50,000...lol...and we see the prices plummet back to earth.

10. mmissinglink

Highly unlikely that they will mint more of these.

Prices on ebay will probably remain off the wall for a few weeks. I just noticed one single medal get snatched up in a BIN auction shortly after it was listed for $149. This medal is the hottest thing the US Mint has ever sold.

As a fan and collector of medals myself, I'm actually intrigued that there's all this interest in a medal. I'm wondering if this could set a trend. In my view, many medals are so much more interesting and aesthetically appealing than flat disc coins anyway.

11. barsenault

I agree Missing. They may not mint more of this set, but they left the mintage open for another product. I bet you they do something else with this. Granted this product is limited to 12,500...I think there is a YouTube video out explaining this 'play on words.' yeah, I agree, medals are so much nicer because of the images. But then again, we knew that medals are better for years now.

12. mmissinglink

I do understand about the difference between product and mintage limit. Only a few people at the US Mint probably knows for sure if there will be a new product to be released this or next year which will include the silver Liberty medal.

I suppose for the US Mint, it would seem like a no brainer to mint more of that medal and sell it in another product....like a set of some sort. I wonder if a medal like that could be produced at their Denver facility because if it could, those who paid a lot of money for the S and W version wouldn't be pissed if a D or no mintmark version was issued instead of more S or W medals in another product.

13. johnnyhann

johnnyhann Active Member Silver Stacker

it's pretty extraordinary how quickly this sold and how huge the realised mark-up in the secondary market has become in just a day. I'm seeing listings sold for $150US and upwards per medal.

14. barsenault

This is a low mintage for a U.S. Product. If they keep the mintage this low and they don't use this image for a 'privy' this or a 'privy' that and it turns into an 100,000 mintage with all the various and assorted 'types', then I think this will be a home run short, medium and long term. IMHO. Wish I got some. Oh well. Kudos to those who did. I don't think there is any thing stopping these from going to 300 and 400 and ounce. Look at the ANA Panda that just came out. 1 oz push close to 400.00. These are just as spectacular and relatively speaking a low mintage medal for a U.S product!

ANA Panda. Yes a PF70, and only 2000 minted. But the U.S Liberty has comparable mintage relatively speaking.
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2016...f70-uc-ana-releases-panda-label-sku42641.html

15. justsilver

justsilver Active Member

16. barsenault

I have to imagine in time they will come back down to maybe 60 - 80 a coin. Especially when the likes of MCM, APMEX, Provident, Gainsville, etc...start selling them. 12,500 isn't a ton, but still a good chunk of metal. A mintage of 299, now we're talking. :)

17. mmissinglink

18. thecoinanalyst

thecoinanalyst Member

MCM is selling them now, and they are $170.

19. barsenault

170 X 4 is 680.00. Wow.

20. barsenault