2015 Momento Mori medal - Pisces!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Well it appears others don't agree, one sold today for $149 us on ebay, 3 more sold in the last few days for some what less. Some listings have increased pricing , only one left at ampex for $159 I believe or was it $149 us , .....opps just checked, sold out there now. This is the first one in the series I am referring too.

2. Razz

Razz Member

opps iam not convinced whats youre point another s m mint pumped up round that doesnt even deserve the name Coin--- its a round worth spot and 5% maybe 10

3. Northerncoins

You are better off staying with bullion then, why bother commenting if your just going to trash it? You don't collect them, let others that do collect these enjoy them.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I think you are wrong Razz. I can see you are not a collector of medals, yes? If that were true, well, maybe it is in your mind, but if it were true in everyone's mind, then a chinese medal from the 80's, in no way, shape or form should be fetching 10, 15...etc...thousand. So, I think the collector base world-wide disagrees with your analysis...and you are missing out on some of the greatest opportunities the world has to offer - because of your myopic thinking. All the best.

P.S. I hold no medal or coin from SM.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Razz, as Barsenault pointed out, you may want to take a look at Chinese medal prices. Many are selling for considerably more than spot price on any given day (while most blobs are not) and plenty of Chinese medals are selling in the aftermarket for higher prices than their original issue price.

At any given time, millions of blobs are being sold by national (large) dealers at very close to spot or with some blobs, with no premium at all being added.

So your notion that medals' values are no different than that for common blobs is, to say the very least, faulty.

Additionally, a very low mintage high relief medal with special finish and COA & presentation box or capsule is a very different product than a common blob like this for example: http://www.apmex.com/category/25057/1-oz-apmex-silver-rounds .

If all you are interested in Razz, is getting the most .999 silver for your money then your best bet would likely be to forgo all blobs altogether and just buy a product like this: http://www.apmex.com/product/43773/25-kilo-bag-silver-grain-shot-9999-fine-peoles-803-75-oz

That product is actually .9999+ fine....so grab yourself a few bags of that to fill your sandbox with and let the rest of us enjoy our Momento Mori's and Chinese medals. :)

6. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Can't stop imagine the spectacular sight of having 12 pcs of Skull Zodiac complete set putting in a skull box (hope SM Mint won't forget about a box) by the end of the year... Wow!

7. mmissinglink

There's nothing wrong with appreciating things that are aesthetically appealing to us. Just imagine a terrible world where the only thing that people would be concerned about in regards to silver is how much mass and purity there is. :(

Even Monster Stacker likes a woman symbolizing liberty and freedom and a cool looking "American" eagle on his shiny coins....

[​IMG]

8. Razz

Razz Member

myopic is that egyptian ?

9. Razz

Razz Member

i just wrote i like the lunar skulls better is that trashing than u start preaching about the prices get this get that while u can makes me laugh i dont want to upset u or anybody else so relax

10. Razz

Razz Member

I like chinese coins with a face value not silver rounds medals it easy to buy a medal /round for a mega high price try to sell them u will lose money every week another medal round from some mint appears grab u self this grab u self that u enjoy u fish skelet i enjoy my yuans and dollars ok
    and please dont tell me what i should buy or like i am just fine with my collection

11. Northerncoins

Even if its a "coin" this doesn't mean you will not lose money as most "coins" have a face value of $1 to $20 for most silver "coins" look at the RCM coins, I have bought a lot over the years, most are under water, buy at issue of $110 CA , same coin is worth $60 now , in the end if its a coin, medal/token its still 1 oz of silver , the market dictates the "value" above that, I would rather own a 1 oz silver "medal" with 500 mintage then a 1 oz silver "coin" face value $1 with mintage of 1 million or more. Chances are my 500 mintage "medal" will be many times higher in value a year from now then that $1 face value high mintage "coin".

As i have said, some people are better off sticking with bullion where the price fluctuation is only a few dollars, if you cant handle the heat stay away from the fire.

12. Razz

Razz Member

That is a strange equation 500 mintage compared to a million coins but if you think a low mintage guarantees profit
    you're wrong
    a chinese 10 yuan from 2015 with a mintage of 60,000 i prefer anyday above a medal or round from some mint with a 500 mintage
    but its al personal so enjoy youre medals and keep on dreaming
    stay away from the fire u say my god what a joke i only buy quality coins not like u who buys rcm coins and loses money
    and now think u can compensate u loss with some low mintage rounds
    next serie,s Ant skull mintage 100 only very cheap get them while u can

13. Spilver

Spilver Member Silver Stacker

Buzz ant skull.
    which species? Bullants would be a good skull, but hows the choppers on them termite soldiers?
    Finally a series i'll enjoy

14. Northerncoins

My point exactly, a 2015 10 Yuan Silver Chinese Panda .999 1oz. worth $26 US give or take, these are best for you. Heck I might even buy a few but its just bullion to me low premium high mintage silver. nothing to get excited over. Everyone and their dog can own these. Only 500 people at most can own one of the Momento Mori medals. But a lot of people buy more then one so even less then 500 will actually own one of each silver issue.

15. Razz

Razz Member

I see you have little knowledge of coins because u like medals a 10 yuan isnt always a panda 8 million they make of them nowadays not 60,000
    so if u dont know what iam talking about it all ends here

16. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I guess it all depends on why you buy/stack coins/medals. Probably everybody likes that his or her stuff at least keep the value if not increase it. But if you buy stuff only if you like it, then it doesn't make much difference if it will be worth more or less (if you *never* intend to sell it).

I limited my purchases quite a lot in recent months. That's why I only (try) to buy what I really like. There are gazillion of other stuff ("alternatives" in rough economical sense) you can pick from, or spend money on holidays or some other stuff.

I like this Zodiac series (except last one not so much). But for me every month new release is an overkill (shipping costs, etc).
    I also prefer to buy stuff where series was finished because:
    1) I know there won't be XYZ coins more (like Tiffany art).
    2) quality of design won't go downhill as with e.g. Matrix movies (or Deadly & Dangerous).

With limited funds I also appreciate every stuff I buy much more. Some months ago I was buying new stuff basically weakly. In the end it was similar as with music CDs I was buying in the past. It just kills the fun getting "flooded" with new stuff so often. Everything becomes so "robotic". So I prefer to buy less and rather think about the purchase at least twice if not more times....
    But that's my view.

17. mmissinglink

Hey Razz,

Just because a product has a denominated fiat value stamped on it, doesn't make it better or more valuable.

Almost anyone can petition certain gov'ts to authorize a fiat denomination to be stamped onto any product....including pieces of complete garbage....which many coins that you probably love are.....absolute garbage.

Sorry to be the one to have to burst your bubble on thinking that just because something has no fiat denomination that it is basically valueless. And it's also true that just because something has a low mintage, doesn't mean it's value will hold. But the Momento Mori series has already increased in value I believe. Someone mentioned that eBay final sales prices are higher than original issue cost.

Why do you place so much value on an arbitrary stamped denomination? It seems really silly to do that. This following medal has no denomination and examples of it have sold for more than $10,000:

[​IMG]

Also, there is no denomination on the 2014 proof silver Libertads and they have increased in value since their initial release.

Your theory has holes in it.

18. Northerncoins

This is how I have felt lately as well, I have many oz of silver bullion now, how many oz do you really need anyways? With the amount I have now I couldn't carry it all so once I passed that thresh hold I slowed down considerably to buying basically nothing as far as silver bullion is concerned, now I prefer low mintage stuff that I will actually look at and appreciate instead of a big stash hidden away that rarely sees the light of day. Coin or metal makes no difference to me, heck I even like those copper medals, some of those large Chinese copper medals are just beautiful.

19. Razz

Razz Member

i can not take u serious missinglink u can only insult people if they dont share u opinion
    the garbage u refer to must be in youre head
    burst my bubble you are hilarious
    by the way the libertad 2014 i got 2 x5 oz and 1x2 oz proof
    beautifull coin no comparison with that dead fish round
    i like what i like u can only insult and be rude to others
    nature of the beast

source free bullion
    The differences between collecting and investing in bullion coins are many but simply put; Collecting involves Emotion because you love what you collect and will pay almost any price for it.
    Investing on the other hand involves having the Discipline and Knowledge of knowing when to buy and when to sell.

20. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

More than 20 years ago some guy who was translating old Chinese philosophers was killed during the war in my country. He was writing how humans being are "prisoners" of our owns wishes. You wish something, you get it, then you slowly start to loose interest since you get new wishe(s) and so on and so on. As soon you get something, there is a new wish, and new "goal".
    Of course if I could afford it I would buy much more stuff. But as opposed as e.g. music CDs most of my PMs are not at my home. I think the "peak" of happiness is when I open the mail package and I see something nice inside. Then I usually vacuum seal it and put in in safer place. Most of the stuff thus I can't even admire at home. I started asking myself if this even make any sense.
    Now I'm trying to buy less things and somehow be more "connected" with them, although in the end I would prefer other things than materialistic ones. :)