2014 tokelau yellowfin tuna

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 97guns, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 97guns

97guns New Member

what do you guys think of them, wondering if it might carry some premium later on with
    the pretty small mintage of 500K, JMB has them for $19.24

hows the demand for these down under, demand usually means premium

[​IMG]

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think they have been discussed before.

And the verdict is they're just low premium rounds cos their strike and quality isn't that good.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would suggest going for the provident prospectors instead. They look really nice!

7. 97guns

97guns New Member

i read somewhere that quality should be getting better through production, JMB was down to 385 pcs just 2 days ago and now they have enough to fill my potential 2 MB order, hoping this new order they just received are better quality

8. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

There were several but I know I started on thread on this coin.

I first saw it on Gainesville coins and was supposedly produced by New Zealand Mint but then they changed to Highland Mint.
    Then the photo shown was a nice picture with mirror background. When I got mine in person, it did NOT look like the picture shown and the mirror finish was crap. There were so much scratches and it was bad. I contacted Gainesville and they told me they would refund me money or switch it for a NEWER version of the coin with a matte finish. They said the mint producer acknowledged there was a problem with the original ones minted.
    So I exchanged it hoping it would look better and it really wasn't. It's not horrible, but there are nicer looking designs of bullion but hey, in the end, silver is silver. I sorta like the coin.

APMEX has them 'as low as' 1.99 over spot USD so... it's up to you whether you want them but it's not an amazing coin.

I suggest what someone mentioned above, the Prospector coin from Provident Metals.

9. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

[​IMG]

This is one of my coins.

10. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Those are milk spots or just lens flare on the coin?

11. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Definitely low end quality from all the reports and 500,000 is not a low mintage in this market. I'm sure they'll improve next year, but this seems to have been a learning curve for the Highland Mint.

12. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I have the 1oz and the 1/2 oz version, and they are just bullion rounds as far as i am concerned..its a neat piece if you fish lol

13. Treasuresofoz

Treasuresofoz New Member

Hello! We are the issuer of the Tokelau Yellowfin Tuna fish coin.

The series came about after my visit to Tokelau a couple of years ago. They have few resources there and daily fishing to catch their dinner is the norm. Every house has a little aluminium dingy sitting outside instead of a car and there is a good variety of fish. I found a poster while there outining all the kinds of fish to be found in the region and discussed the idea of starting the coin program. Further discussions with our distributor network resulted in the choice of the Kakahi Yellowfin Tuna as the first coin in the program and we choose Highland Mint in the US to mint them as it seemed the greatest demand was from the US. It's true we had some quality issues initially, but they were fixed up pretty quickly by Highland Mint and the coins are now looking good and being widely distributed in Europe as well as the USA. A small gold proof version has just been released (0.5g 9999 gold), made in Germany and dated 2015, and we are currently considering requests for Proof silver versions, which would also be made in Europe.

Further designs are already underway.

Happy to answer any queries.

14. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The coin is not impressive due to the low quality. It just as normal round silver with country tender.

However, I buy some to complete all 1 oz silver coin with legal tender for year 2014.

The quality is the lowest among all legal tender except RCM which always with white spot

15. Treasuresofoz

Treasuresofoz New Member

All the 1oz silver coins from 2014 will be a large collection. You will see that the Yellowfin Tuna is much different in quality to our other Tokelau coins as it was designed as straight bullion issue.
    Interested to know what your favourite coin 1oz silver coin for 2014 is?

16. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Some time ago I had picked one up from a major US dealer -- and it's probably safe to assume that it was from one of the early batches.

Oftentimes I'll let some things slide, even though they might be considered borderline. But the quality of mine was so awful, that it was the first & only time I ever sent something back for an exchange. Seemed rather silly for just a lower-premium 1-oz bullion coin, so I didn't take the decision lightly, even though I didn't have to pay for any additional shipping.

I wonder how many times that poor thing might have been exchanged prior to my order, and perhaps even afterwards. Hopefully the dealer did the right thing after they received it back from me.

Anyway, the one I received in return, however, was in much better shape, and I'm glad I got it. Perhaps not my favorite 2014 coin, overall, but certainly unique & cool enough.

Also wanted to say that I really like the concept, as you don't see many fish designs out there. Definitely looking forward to future coins!

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

thanks for your time coming onto the forum to post this response.

Id be interested in getting some domestically if at all possible.. i really like the design and tuna being so popular at the moment is an ideal gift for many people i can think of.

let us know if we can purchase a few direct.. happy to climb aboard this venture,

Sounds like the majority of low quality feedback was isolated to USA and months back.. smooth sailing ...

kind regards,

1for1

18. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

wedges tail eagle is the winning of the 2014 in my collection foz.

Overall, I like the fish and not mind to pay higher premium if the quality like PM or China mints

19. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Be interested to see a proof version. Not sure if the design lends itself to a reverse-proof, but a mirror background proof would look good as the basic design is very sound.

20. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I have a fish coin, its not my best or favorite but it isn't terrible, much better then many other low cost bullion and coins