2014 Reference Guide to Silver Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Yendor

Yendor Member

That's awesome. :) Thanks AgAu!

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Agreed AgAu, the decision to not change the American Eagle design is a big mistake for the US Mint....the current design is old, tired, boring, and could be much improved. Other mints have revamped their bullion coin design for good reason....the same reason the US Mint ought to with the ASE.

As for other bullion coins to include in your project, what about:

The Fiji Turtle silver bullion coin

and here's another reference that may be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullion_coin

3. syracuse

syracuse New Member

It appears USA has the most boring gold/silver coin lines.

Maybe because USA is so rich that she does not care about earning money on issuing coins. :)

4. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Thanks mate. The wiki article is riddled with errors unfortunately and they have an ultra-loose definition of what a bullion coin is.

The Turtle coin is in the guide under Niue Hawksbill, the old Fiji coin has ceased to be.

Got to disagree there. The America the Beautiful 5oz coins are the most ambitious and interesting bullion coins around in my opinion, and the Gold Bufallo is just beautiful.

If the US Mint does have a problem, it's with the very insular nature of their numismatic range. It would be nice to see something other than organisations and politicians as the main subject of their coins. They can strike a beautiful coin, but I'd personally like to see them explore Americas wildlife and history a lot more. The Presidents Wives series baffles me, for example, but then the mint is more closely tied to politics there than just about anywhere.
    Give the mint more freedom to choose subjects and we'd have more Baseball HOF style coins than we would Mrs 23rd President ones. Be interested in hearing what US collectors think.

5. Yendor

Yendor Member

6. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

There was indeed, but the guide is only for 2014 dated coins. Thanks anyway.

7. syracuse

syracuse New Member

I thought the Bufallo coins are ugly looking. :)
    The 5 oz national park is also not my type. 50 states series should be much attractive.

And USA does not have a signature 1 oz silver series, except the boring, never-changing, unlimited mintage silver eagles. :)

Got to disagree there. The America the Beautiful 5oz coins are the most ambitious and interesting bullion coins around in my opinion, and the Gold Bufallo is just beautiful.

If the US Mint does have a problem, it's with the very insular nature of their numismatic range. It would be nice to see something other than organisations and politicians as the main subject of their coins. They can strike a beautiful coin, but I'd personally like to see them explore Americas wildlife and history a lot more. The Presidents Wives series baffles me, for example, but then the mint is more closely tied to politics there than just about anywhere.
    Give the mint more freedom to choose subjects and we'd have more Baseball HOF style coins than we would Mrs 23rd President ones. Be interested in hearing what US collectors think.

8. mmissinglink

I totally agree with every point there. The ATB series is actually still under-appreciated and under-valued in my opinion. The designs are generally well thought out, well executed, and change 5 times a year. The mintages are relatively low. The bullion coin version, when struck well, is actually proof-like. For a dusting over spot...this is a bargain. And let's not forget the limited edition "P" version counterpart with the vapor blast finish....very sexy and appealing coins indeed.

I'm all for expanding the US Mint design range to include subjects like the State birds or mammals ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_mammals ), the celebration of US historical events (not just the signing of the US Constitution) like the historical service of the Curtiss Jenny biplane by the US government as just one of many possible examples ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmails_of_the_United_States#U.S._Government_flown_Air_Mail ), and subjects like important achievements or discoveries by Americans. Political figures, while important, are not inspiring people to take notice of the gold or silver coins they are depicted on (the exceptions being heralded leaders like JFK and the like).

9. syracuse

syracuse New Member

Oh, boy.
    Seems need to spend more money to start ATB series.
    This forum will make me bankrupt soon.

10. syracuse

syracuse New Member

Dear mmissinglink:
    Your comments on 5 oz ATB series just cost me $3000 more this week.
    Thanks for your help on maximum my credit line.

11. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

There is also the 1 oz Silver Andorra Eagle. Seems like the only South American bullion coin.

12. zeeman

zeeman New Member

Great Work, is there any 2014 NZ Kiwi bullion coin there?

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14. mmissinglink

Sorry, I didn't mean to encourage you to trade in some of your fiat money for 5 oz silver coins that will almost be guaranteed to appreciate nicely. :)

But I do know what you mean about maximizing a credit line with buying shiny silver coins.

15. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Huh? Andorra is in Europe.

16. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

We've checked and have had it confirmed by the issuer that there will be no 2014 Andorra Eagle.

Actually, Andorra is on the border of France and Spain.

It's close, but we don't consider it a bullion coin. Expensive, carded availability. It's really a numismatic and the only thing bullion about it is the finish.

I've reconsidered the 2014 Stock Horse however, and will add it.

17. zeeman

zeeman New Member

AgAuNews@ i came across the APMEX 10 coin world bullion collection, i see they have the 2014 Australia Kangaroo in that set, maybe you should add that to your list also, i will also suggest to add the Kiwi one too, even though its not really bullion but the finish should do it, its just not sold as bullion, will make one cool set, if someone completes it.
    Thanks

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Had a few issues with the images not scaling down to display at the correct width, but that's now been fixed and all should be good to go again. The update to the site included making it 15% wider and it played a little havoc here and there.

Pretty much finished at 30 tabs. With the AtheB and Canadian Birds of Prey variants, I make that 35 coins. Anybody going for a set then? ;)

19. zeeman

zeeman New Member

AgAuNEWS@ what about the 2014 Benin 1oz coin. i donot know if you have that in your list.

20. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I honestly thought I'd put that in, but just went through the whole guide and realised it wasn't there. I even ticked it off my list as done!!

Cheers. Will fix later.