2014 Great White Shark from Perth Mint - 1/2oz Silver Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by db23, Mar 28, 2014.

1. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

Exclusive deals with state mints, ie Perth and RCM seems to becoming the 'new normal'. If the coin is good in the end the end-of-line consumer probably doesn't care or know that it was made exclusively for one dealer. Yes that exclusive dealer controls price great for them if a hot coin, its death if the coin sucks and they are stuck with a lot of overpriced silver.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

thanks House

must say it has to be the worst coin I have seen with the P mint mark on it, must have had the work experience people design and mint :D not that that's a bad thing :)

anyone know what the "NM" stands for one the sharks tail ?

so for that reason alone its worth getting a few ounces or 10 .

4. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

Designer Natasha Muhl

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Natasha designed one of my favorite coins, the platinum platypus.
    Also did the 2013 kook, she is incredibly talented.

This is a proper bullion coin. Maybe the press runs at a faster speed and thus the design could not have a lot of definition? think that's why the signature mirror finish is not there.

6. Ghost Story

sorry Natasha wasn't picking on you :) low value coin gets less time on art work so its a reflection on that not the artist so it in its own way adds to the charm I like the rawness of it myself looks like something I would design :) so I used my words wrong on reflection.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well I am not a massive fan of 1/2 oz coins, or the premiums that go with them but other people seem to like them and sharks are nearly as cool as dragons, I also think of all the sharks the great whites are pretty neat. I haven't been in the water since I saw 'Jaws' as a kid but I assume surfers have a different view on them.

The limited mintage is a bit of a bonus if it sells out, was it 300,000? in the end

I bought a tube of 25 from Goldstackers and I will probably put them away for a rainy day.

So anyway, just seeing if anyone knew anything about them...

I think I saw someone responded to a question about whether this was going to be the start of a series, or they could have been responding the the question in the thread title, hard to tell, they just said "Yes".

Anyway, if it is, do you think the whole series will all be great white sharks? I assume if they were they would all be in different poses, though other than swimming I am not sure what other poses they could design.

Or do you think there will be a series of different sharks, a new one each year?

Do you think they will make them in different sizes or just stick to the 1/2 oz.

Would it be better if they minted them up to the limit and when they sold out start selling the next in the series or do you think waiting a year for the next one to come out is a better way to sell them?

Personally I think that as soon as one is sold out they can start selling the next one, why wait for all the hype to die down just so you can build it up again for the next release, might as well make hay while the sun shines.

8. lamp

lamp New Member

Not a big fan of sharks either. However, minitage of 300000 isn't that many. Also, since this is the first ever selling in such a form by Perth Mint, wait until it declared sold out, people may start thinking "I should have bought it". Rather then just buying single coin or just a couple, I think it is worth while getting the whole tube. I know some collectors from Canada are sourcing to get hold onto these coins anyway irrespective of whether the oz market likes them or not or still thinking the preminu are a bit high. I will definitely get a tube :)

9. somethingsilverrelated

somethingsilverrelated Member Silver Stacker

They are available from Perth Mint now. Minimum order of 1 tube of 25 for $15.76 a coin. Coins do not come with capsules.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^Pretty sure this is the second 1/2oz coin to be released by The Perth Mint in tube/monster box packaging. :)

So how is the frosting going to effect the coins during transportation?

Perhaps each coin "could" have a small rub mark on it; frosted on frosted may cause problems regardless of how snug the tubes fit the coins.

If you have the coin please run-a-loupe over it.

11. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These coins arrived at Goldstackers on Thursday evening. Look good. Going very quickly.

12. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

I just ordered this coin. I confirmed with an APMEX employee that there will be a max mintage of 300k, and this is the first of a series.

13. Holdfast

Perth also have a free 1oz Silver Koala coin with every two tubes of Sharks.

Place a single website order for two or more tubes of our brand new Great White Shark coin by close of trading Friday 18 April 2014 and we'll give you one of these 2014 Australian Koala 1oz Silver Bullion Coins absolutely free.

To claim your bonus, simply email [email protected] your order confirmation note by 6pm Friday 18 April 2014 (AWST). Made from 99.9% pure silver, the Australian Koala is a leading Australian legal tender coin favoured by many investors worldwide and well worth adding to your stack! (T&Cs)

Terms and conditions here:

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/...-APR-BULLION-NL1&utm_content=Feature_2_Link_4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO3pR_RlJAA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRsez3SGEYg[/youtube]

14. Holdfast

Also remember there is a huge premium on these coins.

$10.69 spot price $3.82 premium $14.51 price. Rough idea :)

That's bluddy steep for an un-encapsulated coin.

Having said that...APMEX are "feeling" the market and... it would seem that there's an appetite for new bullion.

In this series (Yet to be confirmed) the next coin will probably be the 1/2oz 2014 Australian Saltwater Crocodile.

Don't forget to save a bit of powder for the proposed 1oz Ag bullion Kangaroo and of course Perth will be in full swing producing the Lunar Goat very soon. :)

This is a time when dealers and Perth are in super-contract mode to get your dollars.

We have the stock horse, Australian-American Memorial 2013, the Shark, the proposed crodile and of course the proposed Kangaroo.

Imo, this is a time to re-think your goals and objectives! Think about why and think about how you will make a cap gain because Perth and their dealers are making heaps.

Perth would love to get rid of acrylic capsules and feed you tube coins produced on the conveyor belt.

If you want to go down the line of tubed maples and ASE's go for it but you better put pressure on the dealers and Perth regards their premiums; they will try to slug us capsulated prices for tubed bullion. Tubed bullion has rub marks.

H

15. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Where did you hear that the next in this series will be crocodiles?

16. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

too high premium
    no capsule
    not good finish
    I pass the coin

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Crocodile is a 1oz coin.

18. Ghost Story

I just like that they are Australian and not Tuvalu or Cook Island, that's got to be worth something right?

19. Holdfast

I didn't and as goldpelican pointed out, the crocodile is a 1oz coin so...the croc can't be the next coin as the Shark is a half ounce. (My bad) :D

My logic was...after reading the 2014 currency determination Natasha Muhl is designing the croc and of course that lady designed the Shark; I just mis-read.
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014L00265/Explanatory Statement/Text

Cheers

20. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Picked up some the other day and damn they look good, now they need to look at doing a 1oz product the similar way, cheep tubes