2014 1 oz Silver Birds of Prey Series - Bald Eagle (2nd in Series)

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Altima, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, not sure if anyone has started a thread on this but came across this on APMEX main page.

2014 1 oz Silver Birds of Prey Series - Bald Eagle (Aug 19th)

[​IMG]
    Source: APMEX

2. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Looking forward to these going to stack lots of them

3. Acme

Acme New Member

No, thank you. Definitely, it will develop white spots...

4. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

5. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

I am always surprised at peoples comments about spots, I can go through every nation just about and find the same problem. Phils, ASE, Panda, Kooks
    If the price is right, and it is bullion, who cares, an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver, toning, spots, and all

6. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks Member

I think the design looks nice I'll be picking these up. If your just adding a few to your collection I'm sure it'll be easy to find ones without spots. They'll have the ones that come in those thermotron packs, I've had a good experience with those so far.

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

It is not just the spots themselves, it is the perception that the coins will develop spots that is hurting RCM coin values. Didn't the RCM claim to have addressed this problem and they didn't? Buyers are avoiding the coins and that declining investor interest has killed the premium value of the bullion coins like the Wildlife series. It is a shame, because I like a lot of the RCM bullion silver coins. But as an investment with premium potential, I don't see it any more.

8. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

look don't get all patriotic on us :) everybody knows that silver CAN develop spot but with Canadian silver you WILL get spots :)

9. Torcan

I didn't see my comment as being patriotic, I was pointing out that it is bullion, period. And not only Canadian coins show milk spots, I can go through hundreds of non-Canadian coins that have developed milk spots.
    Now if we were talking about proofs, that is a different story

10. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

yes but the occurrence of milk spots on Canadian coins is of a much higher rate than many other bullion coin that I know of

11. Acme

Acme New Member

First of all (and I think the most important) you will not get same price for coins with spots and those without in Poland (even if we are talking about bullion). It will be always cheaper. I simply prefer Vienna Philharmonic, Armenian Noah's Ark or American Silver Eagle. So fair so good, no spots at all and I have them in hundreds.

Do not see any point buying Canadian silver and waiting for spots which will appear sooner or later in 60-70%, risk is too high.

So yes, people actually care (at least in Poland) unless, of course, your intention is to sell it below the spot price.

12. Acme

Acme New Member

Fully agreed with DanielM. Talking about Canadian bullion and the answer is definitely, talking about the rest and the answer is maybe.

13. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It is about price I think. These seem to go for about 5-10% above the Maple and given that it's the same silver, from the same mint, struck in the same way, I'd expect a bit more care for the extra money, otherwise whats the point?

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I wonder, read some many times about milk spots and their RCM concentration, is there so far any chemical explanation given for it?
    Not something like 'happens in this part of the production process' etc, but actually chemical reaction formulas.

15. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Will not touch these after buying the Wildlife Series and every coin without fail developing spots. Even if stored in tubes or capsules they all got milk spots. Will struggle to sell them for any more than spot price so the quality of the design is kind of irrelevant. Got one coin of the Peregrine Falcon it is already covered in milk spots on both sides.

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I have forewarned forever and a day, stay away from any and all RCM bullion coins...without exception. They are the worst mint eva. Okay, well, if you can get any of their bullion coins for about .59 over spot, then you have yourself a deal...but anything more, with the amount of white snow that cover these POS bullion coins (ALL of them), and you are gettiing hosed. Just saying. You will NOT recoup the losses you spent on premium if you got blobs.

17. Torcan

I pulled this off of the Kitco website forum: by Holy_Peanuts
    may explain milk spots?

Milky Maple info from RCM rep

Hi everyone,

I just had a little chat with a representative from the RCM. It was concerning the milk stains on their coins. I would like to point out that it isnt only RCM products that are developing these unsightly stains. I have personally seen them on Philharmonics, Silver Eagles, RCM wildlife and maples and to a lesser degree on the RCM 100 oz bars and also sealed 1 oz JM bars (although rare).

They thought they had solved the issue in 2014 and one of the reasons I had met with them was to show them some awful looking Peregrine Falcon coins and milky 2014 maples. So I decided to ask a few questions about what it was and what someone could do to avoid their coins developing these stains. Here's what he said;

They havent exactly pin pointed what is causing the stains (no surprise there ) but, they do believe it has to do with acids used in the burnishing process. The rep also said that these issues of milkyness are much more prevalent in humid climates. Apparently, alot of moisture in the air really speeds up or triggers the milky effect and to maintain the original beauty of the coins you could store them with a some silica gel.

Hope this helps some of you preserve the beauty of some of you silver coins.

All the best.

18. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Think I've mentioned before to throw a desiccant packet in the tops of tubes. Have about 25 tubes of 2014 maples, only a couple coins are bad. The humidity is the factor, very dry up here.

19. swe_silver

swe_silver New Member

RCM milk spotted eagle. No thanks! You cant compare Kookaburra with RCM and milk spot problems. Its like day and night. I wont buy any RCM bullion coin with any premium at all.