2012 Pandas

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by SilverTouch, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

Hey everyone just had a quick (NOOB) question about the 2012 pandas. Wondering how come they are around $43 per coin when its mintage is 6million, but I remember i brought 2011 Pandas for $40 per coin when the price of silver was higher then now? But the main thing im trying to get at is why does it seem the 2012 costs more then the 2011? is there something im missing? hasnt the mintage been increased

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good question :)

The full mintage of the 2012s hasn't been realized yet, since the spot price of silver is too low for a full release.

This explains why the price of 2012s is still around $43/oz - while other bullion coins are around $33/oz.

The supply of 2011s also currently exceeds the supply of 2012s - which is why the 2011s are a little bit cheaper (for the moment).

3. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

Ohk thats great to know thanks for that yennus...... Do you reckon i should buy 2012 pandas now or wait then

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think $43 is probably the lowest you will see the 2012s this year... since they appear to only be released when the price of spot is higher than approx. $36/oz.

They may drop in price (in coming years) if their full mintage is realized.

2011s are probably a better buy for the long term.

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

This is a good question , the best I can figure is the chinese fix the price at whatever they want and the demand in china .