2012 Gold Kangaroo release date?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by dccpa, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Does anyone know the release date for the 2012 kangaroo? Also, what is the normal initial premium?

Since the lunars are too expensive and the Cougars too ugly, I have some free cash. Depending upon the premium, I am considering spending that money on the new kangaroos.

2. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Premiums shouldn't be too crazy for the Kangaroo, the hype isn't as strong on these as the dragons. Nowhere near.

Spot is $1710.67 AU on perth mint site so...

Premium is around 5%.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Thanks to you and Fishball. I don't know if I want to wait that long. Fishball, I saw your post as I was making this reply. I asked about the initial premium because I have never paid attention to the kangaroos near the release date.

5. fishball

I wouldn't wait specifically for 2012 Kangaroos unless you loved the new design, premiums should be the same on release (as current 2011) if you buy direct from Perth Mint.

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Fishball, I am selective on my kangaroo coins. I have about 6 of them that I bought from Tulving that were dates of our choice and they are just ok. I really like the 2010 boxer design and I wish the photos on the web sites had been accurate. There were dark spots on the kangaroos in the photos that are not on the coins. Later, I got some from Tulving and found out how beautiful they look, but I haven't seen any at a reasonable premium since that time. Same for the 2010 lunar tigers. I didn't like the design at first and now I love it. So, I only have two gold tigers. but I will hopefully purchase more of them if I can get them for a reasonable premium.

Edited for grammer.

7. fishball

Hmm must be hard to get Kangaroos over there if even tulving is expensive...

Have you tried directly buying from Perth Mint, I hate them but still their premiums on 1oz Gold Kangaroos are reasonable?

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Tulving is the cheapest around, even if Hans is an ahole. The other people are nice. They offer the best prices, but you have to buy in 20oz increments. Regarding the PM, I rarely am successful at finding anything on their site. The 2010 kangaroos are no exception.