2011 Kookaburra - Exceeds All Previous Mintage Records!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Perth Mint has announced the 2011 Kookaburra 1oz silver has already sold 330,000 and the mintage has been raised to 500,000 with that probably being reached by end of March.

2011 Lunar Rabbit sold out.

2011 Kookaburra sold out by end of March

2011 Koala ?

Within the first 3 months of the year, most 1oz sized bullion coins will be sold out, what will the Perth Mint do for the next 6 months until September when the 2012 coins will be released ???

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

IMO, Koalas. I reckon that's why the design has been brought up to "Kook" quality.

3. Golden

Golden Member

I guess that they will print older Kookaburras which have not yet reached 300k limit. Already we see lots of 2009 Kookaburras here in EU, suddenly all dealers have them.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I think the Koala's are highly under rated to be honest. They have huge appeal with international buyers as well.

I have a few of them and I personally think they're a wonderful design.

In any case, if they hit mintage limits early, the can go back and redo any old designs that are not at limit (like the mice) and after that, well, there's always more bullion bars.

I think it's time though that the Perth Mint start to consider a 'non tender' unit priced on metal value alone.

You could even go 'premium' like the 1oz Fortuna bars if they want, I'd definitely love that sort of thing.

I don't see a situation where PM will get to their mintage limits and decide to stop the press. They'll have opportunity to mint different items for sale I'm sure.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Not correct. The Perth Mint will NOT strike anymore 07,08,09 or 10 Koalas. This is from the Perth Mint Blog:

"Our 2011 bullion brochure says: "No mintage limit applies to these coins for 12 months. However, production will close at the end of 2011 and The Perth Mint will declare each coin's official mintage.

This has been our policy since the introduction of the Koala silver bullion coin series since 2007. In effect, the mintage of each annual issue is unlimited, but production closes at the end of the year in question.

Hence, we will not be making any more 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010 1oz Koalas.

I hope this is clear.

David Kerbey"

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They'll keep pumping out 2011 Koalas, go back to unfilled Kookaburra quotas from previous years and/or resume 1/2oz, 2oz and 5oz Lunar Rabbits.

7. Golden

Golden Member

They should make another coin like ASE or ML, packed in tubes of 20 or even just 10 coins instead of flooding the market with older designs.

There would still be a market for more expensive coins, good sales of Lunar, Kookaburra and Koala here in EU proves that. (if only price would matter we would all be buying only philharmonics here)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I guess that's why I stated :

I never said anything about striking more koalas?

My position was stated straight forward enough I thought. Strike the old mintages that haven't hit limit, then bullion.

So in fact, I was actually 100% correct, no?

9. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have been hoping for some 1oz and 100g minted bars for a while now....... Bron? PLLLLLLEAAAAAASSSSEEE ;)