2010 Sydney Cove Ultra High Relief Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mrslick32, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I'm curious to know what you think of the 2010 Sydney Cove coin? In my opinion the ultra high relief of the strike and the design makes this coin very attractive. I also like the bone China plate that comes with the coin because the plate makes this a two-in-one collectible item. I wish the Perth Mint made the coin's diameter larger though. I believe that it's still available at the Perth Mint's website and I'm interested in buying one or two of those for my personal collection.

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi Mr Slick and welcome to the SS forum,

I have the marathon anniversary high relief and i love the specs.. very nice design..

This one reminds me of an old school medal.. like the 1889 paris expo medal?

Anyway.. im sure my mum would be keen on the wedgewood plate.. just think the price is a little high (like much of this new collectable limited edition PM stuff)..

Its OK.. why would you want three? $199 would pretty much price it out of the market for silver investors.. (youd really want the celebratory aspect and to know and love the history asocaited with this release to be able to justify the spend IMO)

1for1

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I like the high relief coins - there's now an annual issue with the high relief silver kangaroo, as there's gold koalas as well done in high relief. There's also a marathon coin.

The diameter is smaller because the coin is thicker :)

4. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

I am debating whether to get one or two because I like the design so much and I plan to have the coins graded. If I have two, then I have a better chance of getting a good grade although that logic may not always be true. I'm comfortable paying for premiums on collectible coins because I like to collect coins but of course there is a limit to the premium I am willing to pay depending on the coin. I mainly collect Chinese Silver Pandas but I also buy coins from other countries if I find them interesting.

These are my general criteria for buying coins:
    1) Historical significance to the country
    2) Attractiveness of the design
    3) Low mintage/investment potential

I think the Sydney Cove medal fits into all three of my criteria so I am interested in it. I am also thinking about the marathon ultra high relief coin because it looks nice.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't a high relief proof coin a shoe-in for the highest possible grade? That is, aren't they all going to be PR-70?

6. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

In theory they should grade a PR70 since they are so well struck. However, I just looked at the NGC population and out of 4 coins graded, 3 are PR69 and 1 is PR70.